NHL'94 Forums

Who goes in when a guy gets a penalty?

We know that when playing without line changes the NLC line are your starters and the SC2 are the guys who go in when somebody gets a penalty. But what if you want your RW to go in whenever your C or LW gets a penalty? And I want my 3rd defenseman to go in for either RD or LD whenever they get a penalty without going in to edit lines. I give you the patented Bo Line Methodâ„¢

I did some experimenting with lines for setting up my Blitz team a few months ago, and I repeated them to check with my GDL team. What I discovered is that if I set my NLC, SC1, SC2, CHK, PP and PK lines all the same then whoever got the penalty would be replaced by the RW, unless it was the RW obviously then he would just go to the box and the other 4 would remain in their positions. This includes defensemen.

Even though having your RW as your D man might be an advantage, it would probably be frowned upon in competitive leagues such as GDL or Blitz where I think we're required to keep D men at defense.

Now you could just set your SC2 with the 3rd defense player twice for both defense positions but then if you play in a game with line changes it would crash the game. (But then again, who plays the GDL or Blitz ROM with line changes anyways?) Anyways, it doesn't really matter though because all you have to do is replace the LD with your 3rd D man. Then make the LD on your CHK line your 4th D man otherwise your LW goes in instead of the 4th defensive player. I'm not sure why it works, but I tested it and it definitely puts in your 3rd D man for both LD and RD positions as long as he's set up as the LD on SC2.

For your forwards you can just simply set all the lines as the same, then when you take a penalty it will put your RW as your LW or C whenever they get a penalty.

Okay, so just to sum it up if you want your RW to play LW or C when they get a penalty and have a 3rd defenseman come in whenever LD or RD gets a penalty:

- Set SC2 exactly like SC1 with the exception being LD who is your defensive player that you want to go in whenever either your LD or RD gets an penalty

- Set CHK LD position with your 4th defensive player, the rest of the positions stay the same

- Success

I hope this saves some time of people going to change lines! Also it should make the people creating the lineups lives a little easier as I'm guessing most people would want their RW to go in for both LW or C whenever one of them gets a penalty. Of course, you could always give your second liners some ice time too, but that's for you to decide. Let me know what you guys think about this.

• 3 years later...

no, it would just move on. it doesn't even crash if everybody is in the box including your backup goaltender, they just pull another guy out.

do you know if would crash if both your RD & LD get put in the box? Since it seems that it would want to replace both with the 3rd D.

Yeah it will put in the 4th D man. If another one of those guys gets a penalty (or injured) then you only have 1 D left so it will take your LW and put him on defense.

• 1 year later...

Bo (or anyone who knows, no pun intended),

So if I set up my first line (hypothetical) as LW-Klima C-Reichel RW-Kristich

and I want Anderson to sub in anytime Klima or Reichel get a penalty, I'd set up my 2nd line as:

Anderson-Anderson-Anderson? correct?

Seth

Bo (or anyone who knows, no pun intended),

So if I set up my first line (hypothetical) as LW-Klima C-Reichel RW-Kristich

and I want Anderson to sub in anytime Klima or Reichel get a penalty, I'd set up my 2nd line as:

Anderson-Anderson-Anderson? correct?

Seth

You should have SC2 AND CHECKING set to Anderson - Klima - Reichel

So when Klima (SC1-LW) gets a penalty, Anderson (SC2-LW) comes in, that's simple (SC2-LW subs in for SC1-LW).

When Reichel (SC1-C) gets a penalty, the first option will be the SC2-C, which is Klima, but he's "unavailable" as he's on SC1-LW. The next option will actually be the Chk-C, and since we set that to be the same as SC2, will again be Klima, who is unavailable. The next option will be SC1-LW, which again is Klima...and finally the next option is SC2-LW, which is Anderson! Anderson becomes the C, Klima on LW

SC1-C (Reichel) --> SC2-C (Klima) --> Chk-C (Klima) --> SC1-LW (Klima) --> SC2 -LW (Anderson)

I believe that is correct and I hope it makes sense.

Basically, you don't put the same name in the line more than once, as that can crash a ROM.

To create the same effect, you put your starters in the open backup slots.

This enables you to get around the CPU trying to insert LW2 for LW1, because he's already in the game, or SC2 for SC1. IT then diverts to the second option, which is then either LW2 or SC2, depending on who got the penalty.

As a fail safe, you also do this on the Checking line as well.

For me, I use the checking line to insert option 2 as my Checking Center & then option 3 as my Checking LW, because in the event of multiple penalties, I prefer to have those options selected, and I THINK that works for me.

Another way of seeing it...

LW Klima gets a penalty.

The CPU asks the Scoring Line 2 LW to come in. You have it set to Reichel, who is in the game. It then goes to Scoring Line 2 center, which you have it set to Anderson, so he comes in the game.

or C Reichel gets a penalty.

The CPU asks the Scoring Line 2 C to come in. You have Anderson set to come into the game, and he comes in.

And finally, Kristy at RW gets a penalty.

Klima & Reichel stay in the game as they are LW & C.

The logic works the same if you have Anderson at LW & Reichel as C on Scoring Line 2. To get the either/or option, you need one starter listed in either slot.

Edited by Brutus

And finally, if someone can confirm the logic order on this.

IF LW2 is already in the game, does the CPU go to SC2 Center, as I believe, or does it go to Checking Line LW3?

If the latter is correct, then you also need to set your Checking line the same as Scoring line 2.

If I'm correct, you can then use Checking Line to setup options 2 & 3 for penalty kills.

The CPU asks the Scoring Line 2 LW to come in. You have it set to Reichel, who is in the game. It then goes to Scoring Line 2 center, which you have it set to Anderson, so he comes in the game.

Does it go to SC2-C or is the next option the Chk-LW?

Okay, I have tested and validated what happens so I can clear the air here. I'll explain how it works in detail first, and then how it has been applied to Blitz/GDL leagues.

The Detail

You can set the lines for Sc1, Sc2, Chk, PP1, PP2, PK1, and PK2 in NOSE. When you play a game with no line changes (assume Sc1 = NLC), the sub that comes in for each position will be the next player in that position on the next line in the order I referenced before.

So for example, if your Sc1 Center gets injured or gets a penalty, the player that comes in will be the Sc2 center. If that player is unavailable (already on ice or injured), the Chk center goes in, etc. and that progression follows all the way down to PK2. So the replacement logic for the C is initially:

Sc1-C --> Sc2-C --> Chk-C --> PP1-C --> PP2-C --> PK1-C --> PK2-C

And this is true for all positions.

Sc1-LW --> Sc2-LW --> Chk-LW --> PP1-LW --> PP2-LW --> PK1-LW --> PK2-LW

Sc1-RW --> Sc2-RW --> Chk-RW --> PP1-RW --> PP2-RW --> PK1-RW --> PK2-RW (yes, there is a PK-RW that you have to set in NOSE even though that person never plays!)

Sc1-C --> Sc2-C --> Chk-C --> PP1-C --> PP2-C --> PK1-C --> PK2-C

Sc1-RD --> Sc2-RD --> Chk-RD --> PP1-RD --> PP2-RD --> PK1-RD --> PK2-RD

Sc1-LD --> Sc2-LD --> Chk-LD --> PP1-LD --> PP2-LD --> PK1-LD --> PK2-LD

Now, what happens after you exhaust those options (i.e. you have the same setup for each line)?

After the Center options are done, the next player is the available LW (in the same order as referenced above...Sc1-LW, Sc2-LW,Chk-LW...). After that goes the RW.

The sequence for the other positions is

C-->LW-->RW

LW-->RW-->C

RW --> LW

LD --> RD --> LW

RD --> LD --> LW

Again, each of those positions goes down each line (Sc1,Sc2,Chk,PP1,PP2,PK1,PK2)

How does this work in Blitz/GDL?

Well, to simplify the process, we set Sc1 and Sc2, and leave Chk,PP1,PP2,PK1,PK2 equal to SC1. In effect, leaving only 2 lines and asking people to just post those two lines. To post everything else would be time consuming, overkill and confusing.

So how do I set a 3rd defensemen to come in for either my LD or RD? Let's say you had your starting two defensemen (Def 1 and Def 2) and you wanted Def 3 to come in for either. This is the lineup that should be set:

Sc1 - LD Def 1 RD Def 2

Sc2 - LD Def 3 RD Def 2

Chk - LD Def 4 RD Def 3

(remaining lines - PP1,PP2,PK1,PK2 set to Sc1)

SO,

If Def 1 (Sc1-LD) gets a penalty, the next LD available comes in and that is Sc2-LD, or Def 3. Check!

If Def 2 (Sc1-RD) gets a penalty, the next RD available comes in. Sc2-RD is Def 2, who is unavailable because he just got a penalty, so the next available is Chk-RD, or Def 3. Check!

In that same scenario, if two defensmen get a penalty, Def 4 makes his appearance. You can do the progression in your head, but essentially everyone in unavailable until it gets to him.

So in order to have that work, the lines in the ROM for defensemen should include Chk, or we ask people to post "defensemen to come in for either LD/RD" if they don't want to list the other two in Sc2 and the person making the ROM uses the lineup above.

Happy to clear up any questions as I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of this now.

• 5 months later...