NHL'94 Forums

REQUEST: One Day Playoff Rule

TomKabs93

I have a simple request, could we implement a universal community rule that playoffs must be played like a true series, all in the same day/night. Barring an emergency or weird unexpected event happening of course. Nobody ever tried to pull this move on me before (thank god), but I think it is truly cheap and unfair. Everyone in this community has the time to play a series at least one day of the week, with each game taking approximately 10 minutes a series takes between 50 minutes to 1.5 hours (including the little bit of extra time between games setting up the next and such). I can think of two examples off the top of my head, one leaving after game 2, and the other after game 5, and I know of other cases as well if I really had to think. I would personally be furious if someone tried to pull this on me, because that damages the integrity of a series and changes the flow of each players mentality greatly. Playing bad? I'll just go to sleep. Just lost all your momentum and he won the last 2 games? Srry, do you mind if we finish this series tomorrow? These games take 10 minutes each. Don't start your series that day if you can't finish it.

Playoffs are the BEST part of 94 competition, they are so much fun. I don't like to see people try to pull cheap tactics to ruin them.

Of course this is just a suggestion, and I wrote this intending to spark some discussion on the topic. Do you guys agree? I know people always wanna disagree with me, but I still gotta try hehe.

EDIT: With possible desynchs a series may take a little longer, but there's no reason it should ever be even two hours long

Edited by TomKabs93

I agree with the one night thing. That should be a given.

BUT, also it'd be ideal if playoffs were spread out over 2-4 days, so a game or two a night. This more evenly portrays a real series. I think we all can remember a night or three we just didn't have it. But you played out the series because that's the right thing to do. This is obviously the optimum way to do it imo, but I know how tough it is to sync up sometimes just for one night.

Seth upfront lets you know he normally needs more than one night to finish a series, as he has serious issues w/ long term focus. In his case, I fully understand.

I think 90% of the time the more realistic issue is getting two guys to line up for ONE night together, and normally, the guy waiting so long rarely wants to retire for another night knowing it might take 2-3 MORE weeks!!

Again, if a guy didn't "have it", and he had the nerve to ask to start another day/night etc, it's kind of hard to say no. It's not like you are sitting next to them and can call their bluff.

Realistically, calling them out has merit, but I can't see this as a mandatory rule. I also would PREFER to stretch it out (like real life series w/ the extra drama of the delay & adjusted strategies), and have talked to opponents about doing it before, but in the end, hardly anyone can ever STOP once you start!

Edited by Brutus

It's not realistic at all to be played over a series of nights. If NHL games were 10 minutes long then they'd play a playoff series in one night haha. Also, yeah it is wayyy harder to get guys to line up for 10 mins a night over 5 nights rather than 1 to 1.5 hours in one night. Brutus, I'd argue that "not having it" is not at all a legitimate excuse, regardless if they are bluffing or not. I think a big part of the magic of a playoff series is momentum. Being able to stay strong after a tough loss, and the feeling of confidence you get after trouncing your opponent in the last game. Multi-day series subtract from this magic greatly in my opinion. I agree with you that it is hard to say no to somebody if they had the nerve to ask you, especially politely. But I hope that this discussion can give people confidence in saying right from the get-go, either play it all out right now or save it for another day soon.

Just imagine being up 3-1 and your opponent pulls the ultimate bologna move and leaves, only to beat you 3 straight the next day. I'd feel sick to my stomach in anger hahaha

P.S. Uncleseth is a fricken cheater who knows he needs to abuse cheap tactics to beat people :D

Edited by TomKabs93

If someone requests to play a few one night and balance the next theres nothing at all wrong with that. It's full disclosure before the series.

Bailing in the middle of series is garbage.

No need to personally attack people TK.

Heyyyyy man I was totally joking haha, I know Seth knows it.

Srry guess I should be more obvious with the sarcasm

And I agree, if both players agree to spreading it from the start, anything should be okay. Totally understandable

Edited by TomKabs93

Just imagine being up 3-1 and your opponent pulls the ultimate bologna move and leaves, only to beat you 3 straight the next day. I'd feel sick to my stomach in anger hahaha

D

http://nhl94online.com/html/playoffs.php?lg=1

Although not exactly the same. Tickenest and I agreed to play four one night. And finish the rest another day if necessary. But the results were like your scenario

Heyyyyy man I was totally joking haha, I know Seth knows it.

Srry guess I should be more obvious with the sarcasm

And I agree, if both players agree to spreading it from the start, anything should be okay. Totally understandable[/quote

Haha no worries then, seths a good dude

I was just about to give my side of it then saw Brutus spoke on my behalf. Bunch of ballbusters on this site. Yes, I have serious attention issues after a period of time. Not only that, I have trouble sitting for long periods of time, typical ADD (without the hyperactivity). I can focus intensely for short bursts. But like Brutus said, I do let it be known from the start that oftentimes 4 games is my max. Sometimes I'll have eaten a good meal a couple hours before and it kicks in like a second wind, and then I'm OK to play 7 in a row but that's not the norm. And regardless of the series (who has the lead, who trails) I go by how I'm feeling (after the 4th game) not how I'm playing or the other person is playing. I want to be at my best in terms of mental focus and when it drops off, it drops off considerably. Each playoff game vs me takes 15 minutes because I OCCASIONALLY change my lineup, so about 4 games per hour. Personally, I don't want to beat someone who is physically or mentally drained and I don't want to have either of those excuses if I lose. There were 2 series that I played in where I knew I HAD to play all 7 games at once because the other person was extremely hard to setup a time with (for timezone or other reasons).

I don't care if my series goes over the course of 2 days or 7 days, 2 games at a time, or split in any other manner but 7 at once is very difficult for me usually and is the only setup I'm opposed to.

Anyhow, this has taken me a while to write, now I need a movement break, hehe.

Edited by Uncle Seth

At one sitting if everything is good to go for both, but some days you just don't have it, why force it through then. Something like a minimum of 2 games at a time seems natural, so it would take something like a maximum of 3 sittings to finish a playoff series, but obviously aim to do as many or even all of them at the same session.

I remember as kid it was easy to focus hard on gaming for like hours and hours and still stay sharp, but that just doesn't happen anymore, not every day. Now to be able to do that well requires good physique, diet and sleep too, harder but doable. I can easily address problem with focus like Seth said. Sometimes it just feels you're not thinking about the game at all, just pursuing the puck and these games are heavily against you.

Sometimes I just play it through to not make myself look like a whiny ass even if I notice I'm not at my best and can't focus for shits (did one playoff series with a _massive_ hangover). Being a gentleman works both ways. Respect your opponent and play as many as you can, but respect has to go both ways. If you notice your opponent is not at his best and he wants to take a break, then it's suitable to get back to the series at a later time and not b***h and moan about it.

Let people suffer their hangovers and other excuses, but keep the respect there both ways. =)

There should be no enforced ruling on this one.

Edited by Depch

even if this doesn't completely work, I'd like the idea of trying it. Would be neat even if there was just one night during the playoffs where we pulled this off.

However, I obviously don't think it's fair to penalize anybody for not being able (or even not wanting) to play a whole series in one night. But it's an idealistic goal we can reach for.

Edited by PRoBob38