NHL'94 Forums

Current Playoff Standings

smozoma

Updates at end of thread

-------------------------------------

See attached picture.

Rankings are based by win percentage.

(oops, i called it 'pts/gm' in the picture..)

In the West, a winning streak or losing streak for skoolyard, tesslog, takeyoupill, dmac and smozoma could mean the difference between making or missing the playoffs.. every game counts and one unlucky guy will be left out! DaDonch still has a shot, too.

In the East, it looks like the battle for 8th is between mike and matt, maybe monkeyjuice as well.

Could kgman break into the top 4 in the east to get home ice advantage? It looks like scribe and vocally caged will need to battle it out to avoid a first round matchup with kgman, who has a 19-12-0 record since taking over as coach of the Devils (0.613 winning ratio).

post-253-1179614678_thumb.png

Geez I didn't realize how close I am to not making the Playoffs.

Expect dmac to come out with fire in his next few games to try and secure a playoff spot.

Just a quick update on the standings (by win %)

Eastern Conference

Western Conference

x = Clinched Playoff Spot

Looks like the Western conference might have a Leafs/Canadiens/Islanders thing going on.

Don't forget to include Ties/OTL points in the win% (guess it should be called pts%)

Don't forget to include Ties/OTL points in the win% (guess it should be called pts%)

Well, it depends. If you're doing win %, you don't need to take OT losses or ties into account, as you're just going by the number of wins he has. So if he won 20, lost 20 and tied 5 (total 55 games played), just (20x100)/55 to figure out the win %.

...So I read that over and realized that points per game makes a lot more sense. My bad.

Phew. Updated Standings by points per game so it's as accurate as it can be.

RED - Team eliminated from playoffs

GREEN - Team secured playoff spot (Though may be a different seed)

Playoff Standings

As a bonus, for those teams which are not secured a playoff spot (and not eliminated), a quick rundown on what needs to happen for you to be in playoffs. I stress that this to SECURE a spot, meaning if you do it you're in the playoffs no matter what. You can still make the playoffs without doing what i've said, but a lot of factors play in, and i'm not going to go through all that; just the basics.

Eastern Conference

New Jersey

Win at least 4 out of last 12 games to secure 8th seed or higher.

Hartford

Win at least 2 out of last 5 games to secure 8th seed or higher.

Ottawa

Win at least 3 out of last 4 games AND have Boston lose at least 1 of his last 3 games to secure 8th seed or higher.

OR

Win all 4 of last games to secure 8th seed or higher.

Boston

Win last 3 games AND have Ottawa lose at least 2 of his last 4 games to secure 8th seed or higher.

OR

Win last 3 games AND have Hartford lose at least 4 of his last 5 games to secure 8th seed or higher.

OR

Win last 3 games AND have Washington lose at least 2 of his last 16 games to secure 8th seed or higher.

OR

Win last 3 games AND have New Jersey lost at least 9 of his last 12 games to secure 8th seed or higher.

Note: Even if you win your last 3 games you can still be eliminated, so play hard.

Washington

Win 15 of last 16 games to secure 8th seed or higher.

Western Conference

Toronto

Win 6 of last 11 games to secure 7th seed or higher.

OR

Win 7 of last 11 games to secure 5th seed or higher.

OR

Win 8 of last 11 games to secure 7th seed or higher.

Vancouver

Win last game to secure 8th seed or higher.

Calgary

Win last 2 games (Including one against Dallas) AND have Dallas lose at least 1 of last 5 games to secure 8th seed or higher.

Note: Gulp!

Dallas

Win at least 5 of last 6 games to secure 7th seed or higher.

Anaheim

Have Dallas lose all of his last 6 games (With NO overtime losses) AND have Toronto lose all of his last 11 games (With no more than 1 overtime loss)

Note: Pray to as many gods as possible.

--------------

Phew, i'm off to bed. Hope this helps some coaches put things into perspective. I'm pretty confident I got all the information right, but there's always a chance I made a mistake, so if anyone catches one let me know.

Matt, you're right, I did make a slight mistake... I think.

I'm assuming tie-breaker rules follow the NHL, so first we'd go by wins:

Ottawa: 23

Pittsburg: 23

Boston: 23

No luck there. Then it goes to points earned between games played between the tied teams.

Ottawa vs Pittsburg

7 - 8 OT Ottawa Win

3 - 1 Pittsburg Win

So Ottawa earned 2 points, while Pittsburg earned 3. Thus, Pittsburg is currently ahead of Ottawa/

As for Boston:

5 - 4 OT Pittsburg Win

5 - 4 Pittsburg win

4 for Pittsburg, 1 for Boston. So techincally Pittsburg is ahead of both teams. So then what needs to be seen is who would remain above the playoff cutoff between Boston and Ottawa?

Season Series:

5 - 7 Boston Win

1 - 4 Boston Win

7 - 6 OT Ottawa Win

5 - 7 Boston Win

7 for Boston, 2 For Ottawa.

So right now, if the playoffs started today, Pittsburg would have 7th seed and Boston would have 8th.

My bad Matt. If Hokkee and Mike lose all the games they have left and have none go to OT, you're still in the playoffs. So like Donch, pray hard :).

meh... I'm already trying to figure out a computer program draft lottery system for next season that would emulate the NBA Draft Lottery. (If D and the league are interested, I'll follow with details) :)

Besides, my 2 Top 10 Scorers, Ciccarelli and Klima have already cleaned out their lockers and I think are teeing off on the 5th Hole of Pebble Beach or Augusta right about now. B)

meh... I'm already trying to figure out a computer program draft lottery system for next season that would emulate the NBA Draft Lottery. (If D and the league are interested, I'll follow with details) :blink:

Yeah that'd be pretty cool.

And are we gonna get a Playoff Race update soon?

May 26th Update

Standings by Points

Standings by Points per Game

RED - Eliminated from Playoffs

GREEN - Secured playoff spot

CYAN - Secured Playoff seed

(For those that are confused, green means you're in the playoffs, but not in a particular place like 1st or 2nd, and cyan means that you're in the playoffs AND you have secured the place you are in, ex. angryjay has secured the 1st seed in the East.)

EDIT: Oops, two mistakes. The coachs name seems to get cut off a bit, and Anaheim is supposed to be eliminated in both standings, my bad.

Things have narrowed down in the East, with Boston, Ottawa, Pittsburg and Washington all competing for the last playoff spot. Boston can secure a playoff spot by winning their last 2 games, while Ottawa could be out of the playoffs with a late-season losing streak, which is exactly what Pittsburg wants, as as soon as Ottawa wins one game the Pens will be excluded from the post-season. Washington needs to snap out of a losing slump and win 8 out of their last 9 games to even have a shot at making the playoffs, and they will need to cross their fingers that the Sens and Bruins don't do well.

In the West, it's gone from 5 teams competing for the final playoff spots to 3. Toronto, Dallas and Calgary all are fighting hard, but one of them will be spending the post season on the golf course. Calgary squandered their chance to secure a playoff position in a game against Washington which saw nothing go right. Dallas has to pull up some late season heroics to snatch the last playoff spot away, while Toronto only needs to win 50% of their final 8 games to secure a seed, 2 of which are agaisnt Dallas, which may very well decide the final standings.