NHL'94 Forums

John Tavares

TubaHero

Living in london, i've had the "privilege" of seeing Tavares play for the past few months...and quite honestly, i have NOT been impressed. All the man posesses is a freakishly wonderful shot. The dude's an average defender, only slightly above average speed, horseshit in traffic and unimpressive with the puck. In the nhl, where there will be capable defenders nightly able to keep him away from scoring chances, he will falter. Tavares needs to learn off-the-puck skills, as well as on the puck stickhandling, to be any presence in the big time. Otherwise, the Islanders are best advised to steer clear and let someone else pick the next Alexandre Daigle.

Living in london, i've had the "privilege" of seeing Tavares play for the past few months...and quite honestly, i have NOT been impressed. All the man posesses is a freakishly wonderful shot. The dude's an average defender, only slightly above average speed, horseshit in traffic and unimpressive with the puck. In the nhl, where there will be capable defenders nightly able to keep him away from scoring chances, he will falter. Tavares needs to learn off-the-puck skills, as well as on the puck stickhandling, to be any presence in the big time. Otherwise, the Islanders are best advised to steer clear and let someone else pick the next Alexandre Daigle.

Another reason why my personal photo is Victor Hedman's future Islanders jersey.

Tavares won't be the next Daigle but probably the next Lindros.

what he showed us with team canada during the winter championship was quite impressive

As an Islanders fan, this is definately the toughest decision to make for any GM. At the 2000 NHL Entry Draft Mike Milbury ruined what was our 2nd dynasty. He took Rick Dipietro who is at times a great goaltender but never a top 5 goalie in the league, rather than drafting Marian Gaborik or Dany Heatley the top goal scorers in the game today. We already had Roberto Luongo so I don't know what the man was thinking since he traded a superstar. But last season we were tied with the Rangers (Rags) for the fewest goals scored in the Eastern Conference. We need a goal scorer. John Tavares will probably not be a Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin, but he is definately better than Kane and Toews and look at the Hawks now tied 1-1 against Vancouver in the Semis. John Tavares will help bring in more fans and a desperately needed new arena. He is the best forward in the draft and the team needs a sniper. I never thought that Kane was going to be an exceptional player but he is and I guarantee if the Isles select Tavares they will finish close to making the playoffs next season. In 2011 they will make a serious run in the playoffs. Tavares is a 40-50 goal scorer in the NHL. He dominated the OHL at 16 and he will dominate the NHL. Tavares an Islander. If not we should somehow draft both Hedman and Duchense together by trading to get the number 3 pick from the Avalanche. The team is not going to move to Kansas City. They are staying on the Island. Can you guys name another US NHL team to win 4 cups in a row you can't because the Islanders franchise is one of the best in all professional sports. No team will ever win 19 straight playoff series. Hockey's most unbreakable record.

Edited by puckhead8926

what he showed us with team canada during the winter championship was quite impressive

sure, he racked up the goals in the prelims but in the semis and the finals, against teams with more nhl-type players, he did not score once...

Tavares an Islander.

i'm not saying tavares won't make it in the islanders organization... content_utah_grizzlies.gif

Edited by TubaHero

As an Islanders fan, this is definately the toughest decision to make for any GM. At the 2000 NHL Entry Draft Mike Milbury ruined what was our 2nd dynasty. He took Rick Dipietro who is at times a great goaltender but never a top 5 goalie in the league, rather than drafting Marian Gaborik or Dany Heatley the top goal scorers in the game today. We already had Roberto Luongo so I don't know what the man was thinking since he traded a superstar. But last season we were tied with the Rangers (Rags) for the fewest goals scored in the Eastern Conference. We need a goal scorer. John Tavares will probably not be a Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin, but he is definately better than Kane and Toews and look at the Hawks now tied 1-1 against Vancouver in the Semis. John Tavares will help bring in more fans and a desperately needed new arena. He is the best forward in the draft and the team needs a sniper. I never thought that Kane was going to be an exceptional player but he is and I guarantee if the Isles select Tavares they will finish close to making the playoffs next season. In 2011 they will make a serious run in the playoffs. Tavares is a 40-50 goal scorer in the NHL. He dominated the OHL at 16 and he will dominate the NHL. Tavares an Islander. If not we should somehow draft both Hedman and Duchense together by trading to get the number 3 pick from the Avalanche. The team is not going to move to Kansas City. They are staying on the Island. Can you guys name another US NHL team to win 4 cups in a row you can't because the Islanders franchise is one of the best in all professional sports. No team will ever win 19 straight playoff series. Hockey's most unbreakable record.

oh yeah islanders fan? Long live to Mark Streit

From what I saw in the World Juniors the only way Tavares scored was by parking himself on the left side of the post and slamming home 3 foot shots. Darcy Tucker scored 20+ goals in the season after the lockout doing that on the powerplay, and people caught on. So I can see Chara and co. shutting him down in the east.

That being said, many big power forwards have made a career out of that. We'll see if he does better than Stamkos, who is currently representing my high school poorly (Although he's tearing it up in the World's right now...as if that matters)

From what I saw in the World Juniors the only way Tavares scored was by parking himself on the left side of the post and slamming home 3 foot shots. Darcy Tucker scored 20+ goals in the season after the lockout doing that on the powerplay, and people caught on. So I can see Chara and co. shutting him down in the east.

That being said, many big power forwards have made a career out of that. We'll see if he does better than Stamkos, who is currently representing my high school poorly (Although he's tearing it up in the World's right now...as if that matters)

That was my impression, too; Tavares primarily scored from by the net. I was more impressed by Cory Hodgson (but he's a year or two older...).

Stamkos was 17-10-27 in his last 30 games last season...

Not to offend anyone but i dont think the Islanders should get tavares, i dont think they should continue to exist as a team.

i dont think they are even worth mentioning.

why not? cause of attendance? It was the same thing with pittburgh and Washington when they we're bad, look now.

All it takes is someone that can turn things around. Look at what Super Mario has done for the Penguins, both as player and later as team president!

Then there's Ovechkin for the Caps. I feel he'll win 2 or 3 Cups, at the very least.

Long Island. A.k.a no where land.

New York should not have 3 bloody teams. Especially the forever pitiful and waste that is the Islanders.

Same goes for California. 3 teams in 1 state. Thats over 75% of teams in all of CANADA. let alone 1 f**king province!

Better than Kane?

Oh my boy, let's compare the stats

GP Goals Passes Points PIM

Draft Year Tavares

2008-09 Oshawa Generals OHL 32 26 28 54 32

2008-09 London Knights OHL 24 32 18 50 22

104 Points divided by 56 games... 1,87 Points per Game

Draft Year Kane

2006-07 London Knights OHL 58 62 83 145 52

145 Points divided by 58 games... 2,5 Points per game

HUGE DIFFERENCE

Kane has constantly improved in his 3 years while Tavares did the opposite, exept for his sophomore year. I think Hedman will be a way better player, and i hope Toronto gets Brayden so we can hear some Schenn to Schenn action :P

Irrespective of the top 30 picks the draft always produces some diamonds in the rough.. Inexorably.

Peter Bondra is possibly the best sleeper pick ever.

Taken in the 8th round (156th overall) he is in sole possession of nearly every one of Washington's franchise records. Leads all Capitals in goals (472), points (825), power play goals (137), game winning goals (73), short handed goals (32), and hat tricks (19).

Not bad for an 8th round pick.

And I'm sure ESPN2 will have round the clock coverage on the ticker wire of World Champions of Lawn Darts.

Irrespective of the top 30 picks the draft always produces some diamonds in the rough.. Inexorably.

Peter Bondra is possibly the best sleeper pick ever.

Taken in the 8th round (156th overall) he is in sole possession of nearly every one of Washington's franchise records. Leads all Capitals in goals (472), points (825), power play goals (137), game winning goals (73), short handed goals (32), and hat tricks (19).

Not bad for an 8th round pick.

And I'm sure ESPN2 will have round the clock coverage on the ticker wire of World Champions of Lawn Darts.

I think Luc Robitaille has got him beat (171st overall) HOFer.

• 7 months later...

looking back at this and I saw that so far tuba's prediction has been an epic fail!

Tavares has 15 goals 12 assists good for 27 points in 37 games!

some of you perdicted that NHL defences would be able to stop his little 3 ft tap in's at the side of the net but he just seems like a brett hull kind of guy

on the power play Hull used to fade away and everyone would forget about him but the he would jump in they would feed him a pass and it would be an easy goal

my dad is a scout for the London knights so he has some inside information and he said that last year Tavares had nothing left in the tank after he played so well in the world juniors

the knights wanted to sit him out for a few games but then Tavares wouldn't break the recored for most goals in a career which he eventually did break!

so far... a stellar rookie season for Johnny T

Edited by nationals1

I was right, now he's on pace for 60 points if he plays full schedule.

That would be 12 points lower than Kane's rookie season.

Hey, at least it's a start. Some rookies end with 30-40 points at best and even a few of them didn't fare so well. At the very least 60+ points is good for a first year. If you're looking for good examples of guys being able to have great first years, there's Joe Sakic, who ended up with 62 points in his first year and may have gotten more if he didn't had an injury that sidelined him for 12 games. Steve Yzerman was 18 years old when he first started out and he got 37goals and 87 points in his first ever season, became the runner-up for the Calder trophy and got to his first All-Star game.

Of course, such accomplishments are hard to top and make for lofty aspirations, but we'll see how Tavares goes about his business in this year. Any other rookies we should also know about?

Hey, at least it's a start. Some rookies end with 30-40 points at best and even a few of them didn't fare so well. At the very least 60+ points is good for a first year. If you're looking for good examples of guys being able to have great first years, there's Joe Sakic, who ended up with 62 points in his first year and may have gotten more if he didn't had an injury that sidelined him for 12 games. Steve Yzerman was 18 years old when he first started out and he got 37goals and 87 points in his first ever season, became the runner-up for the Calder trophy and got to his first All-Star game.

Of course, such accomplishments are hard to top and make for lofty aspirations, but we'll see how Tavares goes about his business in this year. Any other rookies we should also know about?

redwing its more than a start for tavares... tuba was crying alexandre daigle at us!

epic_fail_tattoo_demotivational-poster.jpg

redwing its more than a start for tavares... tuba was crying alexandre daigle at us!

I can agree to that.

• 2 years later...

Yikes Tuba....Taveres now sitting tied 4th in the league in scoring on a terrible NYI team and was named player of the month for january. You now must completely take away everything you said about Taveres...YOU MUST!

(please?)