NHL'94 Forums

Any Mac users out there? Having trouble saving games...

OddyOh

Hi all, just stumbled across this great website last week, and I haven't been off it for more than 8 hours since! What a fantastic resource for all of us NHL94'aholics. Anyway, to my problem:

I'm running Genesis Plus on my Mac Mini PPC (not Intel, yet!), OSX 10.4. And for some cruel reason, I can't seem to save my progress of any kind in my favourite games, NHL94, for example. I've tried several different copies of the game, especially the ones with 2005-06 rosters from this site (the whole reason I want to play again!). Anyway, most of my sports games cannot save...most often the game just crashes, even taking the emulator down completely.

For example, I can't enable User Records in the NHL94 main menu. My controller won't stop on that option, just goes right past it. Another example is when I play a playoff game, once it returns to the main menu, I can't continue the playoff, and it sets the teams to Anaheim vs Anaheim...bizarre.

However, I tried a couple other games, and they load and save fine...Shining Force II and Sensible Soccer, for example. Yet NBA Live or Madden do not. So weird.

Anyways, I have a windows computer at my work, so I tried the same ROMs on there, and they load and save exactly as they should.

It must be a problem with my emulator, right? If the same files work on Windows but not Mac?

Any helpful ideas (besides buy a PC!) would be appreciated. I'm also contacting the author of the emulator, hopefully he can help. Just thought I'd check here and see if anyone else has seen this behaviour, since everybody here plays it.

And since it's my first post: favourite way to score is the one timer, it's endlessly satisfying when it works...failing that, triple deke, baby!

Thanks,

OddyOh

Don't know much about Mac, but it sounds like an incompatability with the emulator. This page has 3 other emulators that are supposed to be mac compatible.

http://www.zophar.net/mac/genesis.html

Thanks for that link Red. Unfortunately, those only work in "Classic" OS 9 or earlier, and look like they've been discontinued. Still, worth a shot though.

sorry, didn't check it out in depth & it said Generator worked on 10.2+

Woops, I'm sorry, yes you are correct. Genesis Plus and Generator both work in OSX. But both of them do not save my sports games properly. Very weird.

I noticed on my Windows machine the emulator creates ".sav" files...the Mac emulators do not do this. That's the problem I guess.

I did try those other two OS9 emulators, but they're basically slow and unusable.

Guess I'm stuck with the SNES version for now.

Thanks anyways

Hi OddyOh!

Oh, "nice" to meet another desperate Mac-gamer. I didn't try to play NHL94 on my Mac since it runns on OSX nor have I tried to connect to any online game so far. I really have in mind to do so. But at the moment I have also a another problem: My Joypad doesn't work on Mac and I hate to play games on Keyboard. I heard that to be able run some USB-devices under OS9 and below you needed a so called "InputSprocket", wich doesn't work on OSX now and with some games it probably wouldn't work in any case. How do you solve this problem OddyOH?

-MacSlezky-

Hi OddyOh!

Oh, "nice" to meet another desperate Mac-gamer. I didn't try to play NHL94 on my Mac since it runns on OSX nor have I tried to connect to any online game so far. I really have in mind to do so. But at the moment I have also a another problem: My Joypad doesn't work on Mac and I hate to play games on Keyboard. I heard that to be able run some USB-devices under OS9 and below you needed a so called "InputSprocket", wich doesn't work on OSX now and with some games it probably wouldn't work in any case. How do you solve this problem OddyOH?

-MacSlezky-

Hi MacSlezky! I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly...Is your Mac running OS9 or OSX? I'm running OSX, and having no problems with my gamepad. I'm using a PS2 gamepad, hooked to a PlayStation2 gamepad-to-USB converter that I got at Radio Shack. All the buttons and analog sticks work perfectly.

I'm using Genesis Plus (from that link Red posted), and SNES9X. Also useful to install Richard Bannister's Emulator Enhancer, which adds gamepad support and a ton of other useful features (at the bottom of this page):

Richard Bannister's Emulators

If you're running OS9, I would Google "inputsprocket OS 9" and see if you can find any help. I'm not too familiar with OS9, I only switched from Windows XP a year ago when I bought my Mac Mini.

As far as online play, there doesn't seem to be a Mac version of Kaillera, so I think online play is limited to local networks (no internet play). That's too bad.

Hope this helps,

OddyOh

Hi MacSlezky! I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly...Is your Mac running OS9 or OSX? I'm running OSX, and having no problems with my gamepad. I'm using a PS2 gamepad, hooked to a PlayStation2 gamepad-to-USB converter that I got at Radio Shack. All the buttons and analog sticks work perfectly.

I'm using Genesis Plus (from that link Red posted), and SNES9X. Also useful to install Richard Bannister's Emulator Enhancer, which adds gamepad support and a ton of other useful features (at the bottom of this page):

Richard Bannister's Emulators

If you're running OS9, I would Google "inputsprocket OS 9" and see if you can find any help. I'm not too familiar with OS9, I only switched from Windows XP a year ago when I bought my Mac Mini.

As far as online play, there doesn't seem to be a Mac version of Kaillera, so I think online play is limited to local networks (no internet play). That's too bad.

Hope this helps,

OddyOh

Thanks a lot for your help OddyOh!

I've got an old Imac at home running OS9 as well as a G4 with OSX (because it's an older OSX version I'm able to run this computer also under both systems separately). I've got an Joypad called Thrustmaster FireStorm Digital 3. Nothing spectacular. Just a cheap bargain from Ebay. I hanen't got a problem to use it on 0S9 having that "inputsprocket installed". On OSX it unfotunately still doesn't work, even with the Emulator Enhancer. Moreover the perspective not beeing able to play against the other folks out here really sucks. So I still prefer to play the MegaCD-Version at home against my other NHL94-crazy-buddy and instead I'll try to misuse my girlfriends PC for netplay in future. All I can say is f... off Macintosh when it comes to gaming! But maybe that new Windows-Version for Mac, I don't know much about it yet could also help to find a solution for this problems generally.

Ciao,

Slez