NHL'94 Forums

Windows firewall issue

mwbrett

Hey guys, I played Evan the other night and the game was real laggy (he kicked my ass). I was wondering if it may have been my firewall? I have Vista and run Windows Firewall. For most programs it will ask me if I want to grant them access, but it did not for Gen. I know why, but my question is how do I get around it? Do I need to check the port before I join any server?

And telling me to stop running Windows Firewall or Vista is not an answer.

I don't think it's vista or the firewall.

1. Where do you live? The location of the two players makes a difference. I get good pings with the Montreal guys (~40ms delay), but pretty bad ones with the BC guys (~100ms).

2. What other internet programs are running? If you are downloading files over bittorrent or some other movie/music downloading program, it'll ruin the smoothness of the connection. Don't be loading a long movie on youtube in the background, either <_<

3. Who else is using your network? If you're living with other people and they also use the internet on their computers, their browsing will interfere with your connection and make it laggy.

4. Are you using wireless? Wireless introduces some delay. Not a lot, but some. If you're far away from the router and don't get many 'bars', it could be very bad.

5. What type of game connection did you use? if you played on a server (such as "igaming"), it'll almost always be worse than if you did a direct p2p connection. (however, "igaming" is a pretty good server compared to some other ones).

Edited by smozoma

1) Evanston, IL

2) I ended all my programs other than Firefox, and the browser was not downloading anything. Nothing was going on from there except gmail and Yahoo mail looking for new.

3)No one else uses the network. One comp.

4) nope

5) We played on a server.

Thanks for the help smoz. I'd like to get it fixed ASAP so I can get some practice in before the season kicks off.

Cheers,

Mike

1) Evanston, IL

2) I ended all my programs other than Firefox, and the browser was not downloading anything. Nothing was going on from there except gmail and Yahoo mail looking for new.

3)No one else uses the network. One comp.

4) nope

5) We played on a server.

Thanks for the help smoz. I'd like to get it fixed ASAP so I can get some practice in before the season kicks off.

Cheers,

Mike

Hm, sounds like the connection should have been ok.

Try playing p2p next time to see if it helps (i never play on a server anymore).