NHL'94 Forums

request timed out

donnybrook

yea so i noticed people have been using hamachi more and most the time for me it runs completely smooth, virtually no lag introduced. but sometimes when i ping people before i play them it times out and when i play these people it lags.

i saw it said on the new revised getting started section of nhl94online.com (thanks evan)

"Note: Some internet security software has firewall settings that will block certain traffic to and from your computer. This will sometimes hinder Hamachi from connecting to other users. An easy way to test if you can send and receive packets from another user is to double-click on their name in Hamachi and see if the command prompt window displays a ping back from them. If the request times out, then they have something blocking the traffic on their end."

whats the easy fix for this problem? i figured all i had to do was open the port on my router but the port is open and when someone pings me it times out.

Yeah....I have the same issue. Unfortunately I opened ALL my ports and the problem still persists.

I've been on the case on a way to fix this. No luck yet though :D

Ports and firewall are all-or-nothing. Changing them won't make a sucky connection better, they make it either work or not work.

Don't open all your ports............. that's like opening all the doors on your house when you're only using the back door........ someone is going to sneak in the wide open front door while you're out in the backyard and steal and break stuff.

You just have to remember that the Internet is a complicated network. There are a lot of points on the way from you to your opponent where things can get slowed down.

- You or him can have other programs consuming network resources on your own computer.

- Your family may be using the internet, slowing down your house's network.

- In some places, when lots of other people in the neighborhood are using the internet, it can slow down in that area/street/campus.

- If you're far away, the data has farther to go

- Even if you're not that far away, sometimes the network equipment just decides to route your data along a really long route because it mistakenly thinks it'll be faster.

- Some of the equipment on the way may be slow(old) or busy (and if the other equipment routes your data around the slow/busy part, it has to go farther).

Sometimes it's just out of your hands :(

-------

Here's an example...

There's a command called 'tracert' (trace route) that tells you the path your connection takes to get somewhere.

Here, I check out the connection between me and www.indiana.edu:

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>tracert www.indiana.edu

Tracing route to www.indiana.edu [129.79.78.192]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1	14 ms	 9 ms	 9 ms  10.0.160.1
 2	 9 ms	 9 ms	 9 ms  vl-201.gw03.flfrd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.90.241]
 3	 9 ms	 9 ms	 9 ms  gw01.bloor.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.83.145]
 4	13 ms	13 ms	13 ms  so-4-0-0.gw02.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.82.125]
 5	15 ms	15 ms	15 ms  so-2-0-0.gw02.mtnk.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.80.185]
 6	31 ms	33 ms	33 ms  69.63.248.93
 7	33 ms	33 ms	54 ms  rtr.newy.net.internet2.edu [198.32.118.55]
 8	45 ms	45 ms	45 ms  ge-0-0-0.0.rtr.chic.net.internet2.edu [64.57.28.72]
 9	65 ms	65 ms   118 ms  xe-1-2-0.2045.rtr.ictc.indiana.gigapop.net [149.165.254.6]
10	66 ms	65 ms	65 ms  tge-1-2.11.br.ul.net.uits.iu.edu [149.165.183.18]
11	 *		*		*	 Request timed out.
12	67 ms	68 ms	67 ms  149.166.6.6
13	65 ms	65 ms	65 ms  www.indiana.edu [129.79.78.192]

Trace complete.

For my computer to get to that website, data has to pass through 13 different computers(routers) on the way there. I think that "Request timed out" thing means that particular node didn't let me trace it. It looks like my ping is about 65ms by the time i get to the site.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work through Hamachi.

Edited by smozoma

yea so i noticed people have been using hamachi more and most the time for me it runs completely smooth, virtually no lag introduced. but sometimes when i ping people before i play them it times out and when i play these people it lags.

i saw it said on the new revised getting started section of nhl94online.com (thanks evan)

"Note: Some internet security software has firewall settings that will block certain traffic to and from your computer. This will sometimes hinder Hamachi from connecting to other users. An easy way to test if you can send and receive packets from another user is to double-click on their name in Hamachi and see if the command prompt window displays a ping back from them. If the request times out, then they have something blocking the traffic on their end."

whats the easy fix for this problem? i figured all i had to do was open the port on my router but the port is open and when someone pings me it times out.

I don't have solid answers right now, but I have recently done some testing with a couple other guys and found that the problem ended up being the emulator version. For one user, Gens 2.14 was the problem. When he reverted back to Gens 2.10 (while I was using 2.14) things worked smooth. I'd have to look into this more before making any conclusions.

If anyone else has run into this problem, I'd be curious what the results were as well.

-Evan

i notice when i get lag issues it slowly goes down from 60 fps and then stops around 17 fps witch makes me think it could be an issue with the settings in the emulator. could having the "stretch" mode checked or unchecked cause this type of lag? or any other of the settings like vsync or sprite limit? what should be checked and unchecked?