NHL'94 Forums

controller config help

LEGENDOFNHL94

Hi all,

i cant get my joypad set up. it works fine in windows control panel. But when i start GENS i get this error

erreur joystick

IDirectInputDevice: :SetProperty() (Y-axis) FAILED

WTF?!?!

ive deleted my config file, same thing. When i go to set up joypad, it just cycled through all the options (UP DOWN ETC....) automatically....

im using win7 64 bit

Hi all,

i cant get my joypad set up. it works fine in windows control panel. But when i start GENS i get this error

erreur joystick

IDirectInputDevice: :SetProperty() (Y-axis) FAILED

WTF?!?!

ive deleted my config file, same thing. When i go to set up joypad, it just cycled through all the options (UP DOWN ETC....) automatically....

im using win7 64 bit

might need to run it in compatibility mode or something. (i think there is some way to emulate winXP in win7?)

• 7 years later...

Same issue, Windows 10, can't get this error to clear, nor my diags to work on any joystick, and I've tried about a half dozen different types. What did you do to fix this?

What kind of joystick are you using?

So, I don't have a "fresh" memory of what issues I was having, but I can relate my story here and hopefully it might help some solve their issues.

Whenever I use the genesis joystick adapter to play with an original genesis joystick on my CPU that runs windows 10, I needed to use Gens Plus emulator, not Gens to get them to work. Very similar program and you can play online with it vs someone using Gens the same, but some of the full screen, save features, etc have different key options, and when I use Gens Plus, I can't exit out of full screen mode without crashing for some reason. I just googled/downloaded Gens Plus from one of the many emulator sites.

This is primarily why I don't use the Gens joysticks, because I don't like Gens Plus as much. I'd rather have an easier time navigating with a slightly less optimum joystick.

IN ADDITION, I found ANY joystick (I've tried several different ones over the past few years) that when configured and used in GENS, if the DIAGONAL's didn't work as Tony mentioned, then if I used GENS PLUS, the diagonals worked. Joysticks that worked in GENS, didn't seem to always work in GENS Plus! Weird?!!?

The fix I found to use any joystick inside of GENS, and not have to download/use Gens Plus, is a program called MotionJoy, but it is very controversial and can often lead to viruses if you don't use it properly. Someone coded an additional program that enables you to run MotionJoy and configure your joysticks without the virus complication. IF I could find this online via google, then I'm sure those desperate enough can too. I didn't bookmark anything and I'm at work now anyhow.

But long story, it requires a lot of work to get this. It's how I would use my PS3 D pad instead of analog sticks. However, since I started sharing my big screen computer with the family, I didn't want all these programs running in the background and just switched to this simply but easy joystick.

SNES Buffalo Classic.

Configuration is beyond easy, D pad works, buttons work, and it cost like $10. Not 1000% best "joystick", but 1000% easiest to buy/setup/play and lasts a decent while. For those tired of being tired and want an easy plug and play fix, this is my recommendation.

SNES Buffalo Classic.

Configuration is beyond easy, D pad works, buttons work, and it cost like $10. Not 1000% best "joystick", but 1000% easiest to buy/setup/play and lasts a decent while. For those tired of being tired and want an easy plug and play fix, this is my recommendation.

I use this, too. So does Zep, so does Atomic.

I play a lot and burn through one every 2-3 months, but at $11 from Amazon, not a big deal. Yup, it just works.

Q : I got the following message : "Error with Query Interface", how fix it ?[/size]

A : You just have to reinstall directX 7.0 (or above).

Q : I can't set my joypad because keys are automatically pressed (quickly), what's the problem ?

A : Some people have experienced problems getting Gens to use their Joypad because when they press a button on the Joypad Gens reads multiple inputs and sets all the controls to one button! To fix this you should reinstall your Joypad drivers and then reinstall DirectX 7.0, don't forget to recalibrate your Joypad before running Gens though. If this doesn't fix the problem it is probably your Joypad drivers that are at fault, check for newer versions, unfortunately there is nothing else I can do about this problem and you'll have to use the Keyboard.

Q : I can't get diagonals using my joypad, or diagonals have stopped working how do I fix it?

A : Several people have reported this problem and it seems to be a Gens.cfg problem. Quit Gens, find and delete your Gens.cfg file. Now restart Gens and set your joypads up again, hopefully you should now be able to get diagonals.

Edited by jer_33

Confirmed functionality with Gens plus. Will keep the controllers. I still get the alert on start about the inputs, but the diagonals work, and when tested with Jer_33, the connection seemed stable while he hosted.

Next challenge, have been unable to host games on my end, even with hamachi, not sure why.

Usually if you struggle to host on your end, but not when connecting, it's 99% your firewall settings.

Try for one game disabling your firewall. If that works, then you know you need to go into your firewall and mess with it.

It needs to allow Gens Plus & Gens access, since you are using both.

Usually if you struggle to host on your end, but not when connecting, it's 99% your firewall settings.

Try for one game disabling your firewall. If that works, then you know you need to go into your firewall and mess with it.

It needs to allow Gens Plus & Gens access, since you are using both

I run a DD-WRT flashed router with no game mode settings. Firewall is turned off on the software level. If port forwarding of some kind is required I would need to know exactly what port or ports need to be opened.

• 7 months later...

Can some please help me?! I have major connection problem and cant solve it since weeks.
I use an original MD1 contoller   with this adapter on a win7-64bit. I downloaded/installed the emulator from the nhl94.com homepage. But the diagonal steering will only work when i use the gens+netplaysave.exe from this page.
But then i cant connect to other players anymore because of     ....i think it said some what like "different versions" and sometimes i think other "connection problems".
On this page a guy player called addisnbr used to use the controller too and it seemed to function well.
Does any1 know the solvement for this issue? Please help! We wanna play nhl94.....................

3 hours ago, IceCow said:

Can some please help me?! I have major connection problem and cant solve it since weeks.
I use an original MD1 contoller   with this adapter on a win7-64bit. I downloaded/installed the emulator from the nhl94.com homepage. But the diagonal steering will only work when i use the gens+netplaysave.exe from this page.
But then i cant connect to other players anymore because of     ....i think it said some what like "different versions" and sometimes i think other "connection problems".
On this page a guy player called addisnbr used to use the controller too and it seemed to function well.
Does any1 know the solvement for this issue? Please help! We wanna play nhl94.....................

My understanding from our conversations on Discord where that Gens+ was working for your Gens controllers with that adapter but the Gens+ (or GensPlus) menus were foreign to you and not displaying properly.  I know ICESTORM was very familiar with GensPlus menus, as we used that emulator when we played lived and he knew all the hotkeys.

I've NEVER had an issue connecting to Gens with Gens+, or vice-a-versa.  They are different versions of the same emulator but both use Kalierra still to connect, so it doesn't matter.  Maybe in your updates, switching in/switching out, you have an old version of Kalierra or something in one of the wrong spots, but you should have zero issues connecting to anyone using Gens+, regardless of what joystick you use.

Given you are trying multiple versions of Gens as an emulator and trying multiple joystick configurations, I would imagine you are going to have some possible "mix ups". 

ANYHOW, TO MY KNOWLEDGE, I was not able to get Gens Controllers with the USB adapter link to work in regular Gens.  I had to use Gens+ to get the diagonal directions to work.  Even more oddly, the joysticks that worked in Gens, on the same computer, gave me issues in Gens+!

So, when Icestorm did come to play live, we had to both use Gens joysticks through Gens+, or both use my USB joysticks through Gens.

To be clear, I am not the end all of knowledge on this, and it's been a few years since I researched it.

Icecow is attempting to use a Gens USB adapter that enables you to play with original style Genesis joystick, not a Gens USB direct joystick.  This adapter usually works for 90% of folks in the form of plug & play.

About 10% of us (and I was one of the unlucky ones), end up where all the buttons work just fine, but you can't skate in diagonal directions on the joystick, basically rendering the joystick worthless.

The only fix I found was using Gens+.  Icecow struggled with Gens+ (obviously), so if ANYONE knows of a different fix for the guy, don't let my previous post discourage you from trying to help out with this issue.

Is everyone using the same versions of kaillera?

The download link you've got for gens.netplaysave may have an old version of kaillera installed, which you need to update with the new version from Downloads section of NHL94online.

Jer

• 1 month later...

Yippee   ....i finally found out how the genesis 3-button controller works with the Mayflash adapter! Mayflash themselves said "go into PC Game Controller Panel, then press buttons “START+A” for 3 seconds. Then you can change between D-PAD & left analogue stick mode". After that you can callibrate all buttons.
Still thanks for all trying to help....