NHL'94 Forums

NHL2010 (by swos & Mahavishnu)

Mahavishnu

The fact that more people aren't into playing this version of the game on line is puzzling to me. It's really been well done. The player ratings are much more centered..ie more guys in the middle, less complete duds and not as many off the charts super elite players. It makes the games much tighter, especially since the average defenseman is rated higher than in the original rom. That and the the weight bug fix, plus having the current players make for a real winner. I played a 7 game series with a friend the other night, and he's basically hooked on the game again also.

The fact that more people aren't into playing this version of the game on line is puzzling to me. It's really been well done. The player ratings are much more centered..ie more guys in the middle, less complete duds and not as many off the charts super elite players. It makes the games much tighter, especially since the average defenseman is rated higher than in the original rom. That and the the weight bug fix, plus having the current players make for a real winner. I played a 7 game series with a friend the other night, and he's basically hooked on the game again also.

Nice to hear. Thanks for the comments. Our goal was to make NHL94 as realistic as possible. (as you could with old arcade hockey...)

It just seems that almost all of North American NHL94-players like to play the game with original rom and without offsides and line changes. Way that the game is ultimate arcade, where you just can crash and bang all the time (speed bursts all night long).

Nice to hear. Thanks for the comments. Our goal was to make NHL94 as realistic as possible. (as you could with old arcade hockey...)

It just seems that almost all of North American NHL94-players like to play the game with original rom and without offsides and line changes. Way that the game is ultimate arcade, where you just can crash and bang all the time (speed bursts all night long).

I play auto line changes when I play with friends. You have to use more of your roster. In all fairness, the speed burst is needed on defense to make up for the horrific angles your computer controlled defensemen take...it somewhat counteracts the exaggerated importance of speed in the game relative to real hockey (exacerbated to another degree by the weight bug of the original rom which makes pee wees become supermen). If you play with fatigue on, your slow guys become even more useless because they are out of energy making one defensive play back checking.

I've stopped playing with offsides since I started playing on line even though I prefer it..since no one else plays it and you have to play differently with it off. It does slow the game down a lot with all the whistles, but it's one more element of strategy you have to take into account.

Back to NHL94/2010: minor whining: , there are a few ratings here or there that I'd bump up or down (Thornton isn't THATgood!!), but for the most part they are pretty tight. I do think you juiced the goalies a TAD too much..maybe one notch down on the pad saves. Using Luongo or Brodeur you almost don't need to do manual goalie!

One thing I particularly don't like are the 4 minute injury penalties..in fact, all penalties should be knocked down to a minute or so (if that's possible) to account for the short periods..I"m not asking you to do it for me, I'll take a shot at editing the rom myself...if you happen to know if that isn't possible, let me know so I don't waste my time. :rolleyes:

But again, overall, great job and thanks again.

Don't be lazy with the penalties. Why not go for 10-min periods if you're playing alone? Of course, not many of us do that in league play... =P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
:o Edited by Freydey

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if there will be. Currently I have so much other personal issues going on. I may have time to do update in November, although. Will see.

hope to hear from you soon, i hope you resolve your issues man! :)

• 4 months later...

I don't know if there will be. Currently I have so much other personal issues going on. I may have time to do update in November, although. Will see.

Amazing work with 2010...I play it everyday literally. I was looking forward to 2011 but haven't seen it by now. I'm wondering if the plans to make 2011 have been scrapped at this point (crossing fingers, hoping not). Any updates on the matter would be really great. Thanks

Amazing work with 2010...I play it everyday literally. I was looking forward to 2011 but haven't seen it by now. I'm wondering if the plans to make 2011 have been scrapped at this point (crossing fingers, hoping not). Any updates on the matter would be really great. Thanks

Magoosh, I give you NHL 94/11!! The rosters are from the start of this season. It really need a roster update from the trade deadline and all the trades this season! Someone do it!!!

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12071-coming-this-fall/

I created a new rom with Mahavishnu rom.

It´s with 2011 rosters in this post:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12731-nhl2011-by-francini83/page__pid__100270#entry100270

THANKS! This is what I've been waiting for since the beginning of the season! Amazing work, it really looks well done. I have a few constructive comments that might help the game even further in future revisions. Again, these are all my (humble) opinions:

- Player ratings of superstars are noticeably a bit low. Sid Crosby = 91 (should be around a 99 as should other elites like Sedin, Sedin, Ovechkin, Malkin, Thornton)

Some other players could use some rating adjustments. These ones especially stuck out to me:

- Corey Crawford = 39 (should be much higher, considering backup Turco is a 49)

- Ryan Miller = 97 (should be lower, considering Luongo was only a 76 and Tim Thomas a 74)

- Martin St. Louis = 78 (should be much higher, minimally in mid-80s range)

- Logan Coutoure = 49 (should be much higher)

- Jonas Hiller = 50 (should be much higher)

- J.S. Giguerre = Absent?

Not sure if all of these can even be done but they are suggestions if they are even possible:

- I agree Johnathan Tavares could be replaced on the cover. IMO he is good but still not as established as some others out there.

- Player cards with actual pictures would be sweet - I saw this done in an update from someone else.

- Some arena songs are specific to the arena. Blues should have when the saints go marching in. Montreal has its own song. Chicago has its own ('here come the hawks the mighty blackhawks'). Carolina should have Hartford's Brass Bonanza (

). Perhaps even some more newer themes currently used can be adapted into midis and included in the future (e.g., Chicago plays this after every home goal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHqNVgMkCg )

- 4-on-4 for regular season OT.

- Go directly into shootout after regular season OT tie.

The new release is sweet, thanks and hope future revisions will be up to the same standard of excellence!

Setting & Saving Lines TIP

Despite that it was one of the greatest games ever made, one issue I always had with the original NHL94 was that it only let you save the lines for one team at a time. With the computer updates its almost like you can have 30 cartridges (or files) - one saved for each team. If you make copies of the .bin file and rename with the name of teams you can save your lines for as many teams as you want. That way you won't have to edit lines everytime or override saved lines for other teams. Since I mostly only use the Red Wings and Blackhawks I only made 2 files. Hope this is of help to some out there.

Setting & Saving Lines TIP

Despite that it was one of the greatest games ever made, one issue I always had with the original NHL94 was that it only let you save the lines for one team at a time. With the computer updates its almost like you can have 30 cartridges (or files) - one saved for each team. If you make copies of the .bin file and rename with the name of teams you can save your lines for as many teams as you want. That way you won't have to edit lines everytime or override saved lines for other teams. Since I mostly only use the Red Wings and Blackhawks I only made 2 files. Hope this is of help to some out there.

You can also download NOSE (check the editing section of the forum) and set up default lines in the ROM itself.