NHL'94 Forums

Best simulation hockey titles by year?

clrockny24

What do you think were the best titles for each year? Obvious nhlpa hockey 93-nhl 98 for genesis/snes were awesome, but what about after that. Basically, I'm wonder if the community here thinks EA dominated as far as video games go, or did 2k sports rule from 99 on.

I haven't played 99 or 2000, but I assume they are good. 2001 was good, 2002-04 were ok, but then the 2k series took over for me. I really enjoyed ESPN nhl 2k5 and nhl 2k6. I haven't played the newer games in full, just the demos, but it looks like EA makes the better games now.

I gotta say NHL 94 was the best sports video game title of that year

but for a while 2k games took over... I remember reading somewhere that journalists voted for the best hockey video game in 06 and 2k6 had the most votes

but NHL 09 for EA absolutly turned the tables and NHL 10 has bettered it

• 2 months later...
I gotta say NHL 94 was the best sports video game title of that year

but for a while 2k games took over... I remember reading somewhere that journalists voted for the best hockey video game in 06 and 2k6 had the most votes

but NHL 09 for EA absolutly turned the tables and NHL 10 has bettered it

NHL 2004 wasn't too bad, just started on 08 and it's not so bad so far.. takin some gettin used to

As much as we all love being able to pick a team full of guys that look like Chunk, from the Goonies, Blades of Steel is the better game, IMO. Obviously it's much more realistic looking, aside from Edmonton's (?) pink and green sweaters. Plus, FIGHTING! How sick is it that only the guy that loses the fight gets the penalty? Don't forget the theme music, either!

If Blades of Steel didn't have that annoying arrow I'd put it higher on my list.

With Ice Hockey, there's nothing better than having the fat guy wind up for a few seconds and rip a 300 mph shot in the top corner.

no way, nhl 2000/ 2001 was amazing.

And btw 2K sports is dropping NHL for 2011 most likely.

no more competition for EA.

Wow I just wish they'd continue to make the NHL games for PS2... I don't have a PS3 and don't plan on gettin one.. for awhile at least that is

*sigh* sucks! lol

nhl 2004 was pretty amazing, new pass system, new hooking system new fight system, wayy more realistic ice and a great graphic upgrade. It was the first NHL with the dynasty mode and you could buy some stuffs for your GM dekstop which was pretty amazing. Best NHL game with 94!

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely love NHL 2K10 for the Wii.

As for previous games (after the Genesis era), it's a tough call. I think NHL 2004 by EA Sports would have been perhaps the greatest hockey video game ever, IF it would've had any goaltending. Even after adjusting the sliders and settings to make it as difficult as possible to score goals, it was far too easy to score goals.

The last two EA titles (NHL 09/ NHL 10) are amazing and really are the reason why I stop playing NHL 94.

Just remember us whenever you want to play. B)