NHL'94 Forums

Anyone playing with real rules in this community..?

Troy

Hello. I just joined to this community when I heard about it. Its so good that there is a place like this online!!!

But I have a question... I play genesis with my friends, and we usually always

play with the worst teams ( Ottawa, Anaheim,Florida, Tampa, San Jose) against eacothers, and with real rules ( offsides on, manual line changes, manual goalies).

I was wondering, is there a chance to play against anyone here with these rules, or are the leagues/tournaments here played with other rules than mentioned above...?

If there is somebody who play with all the above rules, how can I challenge him/her? Just downloading the game I guess and communicating through this forum?

Ps. We were playing the "hunting" just the other day with my friend. ( 10 min periods, no line changes, no offsides) We beated Ottawa with Galgary 54-0. Is this score

even close to records, or is it normal average here.? I figured this is the place to get answers from other players for this question as well..?

Anyway, thanks to who ever created this page, its absolutely awesome. All the best to coming games for everyone!

- troy.

First off welcome to the community...

I don't believe there are any leagues with these rules but im sure someone would be happy to play and exhibition game with those rules

Also the form of communication is ussually not on the forums the community communicates for games over AIM

welcome to the community Troy.

the way i look at it is, nhl94 isnt very realistic so why play by nhl rules. i treat nhl94 like its a different form of hockey (street hockey, air hockey, table hockey.. ect) and the funnest way to play is with line changes off (keeps best skaters on ice and they dont tire) and offsides off (keeps the game going, too many stoppages with offsides on). keep penalties on because man advantages are always interesting. im not opposed to playing with line changes or offsides, i think they can be fun sometimes but why would you wanna slow it down, hockey is always best at high speeds.

just had to make my point, welcome man we all use AOL instant messenger to stay in contact. feel free to message me anytime asking for a game or whatever. also you should get into 2on2, 4 people play, 2 skaters a team. its alot of fun.

Edited by donnybrook

The NHL91 league uses line changes, and the players for the most part aren't too fast. it's on hiatus at the moment, though. http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showforum=115

And Jesus is checking if there are changes he should do with the league, hence the hiatus.

For the most part we do play on penalties without offsides, manual goalies and all. Sometimes we could probably change that on a league or tournament just for fun. I envy your friends from playing with the bad teams a lot. We rarely use them, even in exhibition games or teams with decent/bad drafting in some leagues.

I prefer playing 10 minutes with changes, offsides decided by the home team. Having line changes adds an extra tactical and strategic aspect to the game; when to change, what line to put on, how to balance the lines etc. It also makes time outs mean something (more) because you can replenish energy that way. Its also fun using the lesser known players, its also an all round more inclusive, more complete use of the game imo.

If you're playing 5 minute period line changes are a little more pointless, because one shift could take half the period.

Anyone who claims NHL94 to have no realism hasn't truly played 94.

Nationals: Try it with 10 min periods and line changes on.

Forget about those run and gun plays and play it like its 09.

Quickly you'll see it can be pretty realistic.

Agree with Shaftman on that reality thing. I have played all those new games but they are no where near as good as the best. Of course, you have have line changes on like offsides. That way you can use the different abilities of players. A fast skater is not the best player when he's offside all the time. And when you can run down the opposition energy and then make a quick line change, you have a good chance of scoring. We have also played a lot with the "less appreciated" teams in the league, and they really give a more realistic feeling to the game. I really recommend tryin it out!!!

I try that when I do the playoffs in the game. For instance, Chicago has a great starting line, but at best its depth is decent. Eventually you make do with what you have and win games as best you can.

It's also a good barometer on which players stay in the best line and who goes to the bench come league time.

ive only been playing this game since i was like 10, so i guess i havent really truly played 94?!? wtf.

yea this game is semi-realistic in cretin aspects, and as far as the other hockey games of its time, its by far the most realistic. but lets be serious.. some of the things that happen in this game completely defy physics. like when you check someone in the boards and they magically skid halfway across the ice? ya that happens all the time. all i was trying to say was that video games can never imitate real life, so why try and make it?

Edited by donnybrook

Heh, well first off It was a figure of speech really...

and secondly I have SNES in mind when I say that.

Never in SNES will you hit a guy and he flys across the ice like in gens.

Gens has a lot of unrealistic BS, that SNES does not.

And as far as making it like 'real life', hockey in real life is a game. Just like it is in 94.

no reason why we shouldnt be able to replicate the aspects of hockey that make it a GAME.

When I say realism I'm no talking about physics (well partly) and graphics and such.

I'm talking about player positioning and strategy and all that good stuff.

You can make the most realistic hockey game with just dots and circles on a clip board, but of course we want more than that, we need shiny new graphics every year and yadda yadda.

Anyways...the point I was getting at with offsides make the game what it is and the AI isn't as retarded as you think, we should play with them on.

It doesn't slow down the game unless you SUCK and have absolutely no hockey sense, In which case. Yeah, you'll go offside a lot.

Another example of the realism offsides bring to game is the score.

you wont be scoring 10 goals a game. (unless you have Ovenckin)

I played a 30 minute game for the first time with offsides on and, hey. It was the most realistic game I've ever played.

It felt like REAL hockey.

Working hard with your team to generate scoring chances.

Not the run and gun crap we all like to do.

And I was blown out too. 5-1. A realistic NHL score. (A 30 minute game with out offsides the score would be quadruple that)

I enjoyed it a lot. You guys should all give it a try.

Edited by shaftman