NHL'94 Forums

Online Etiquette

Tickenest

This is a brief guide to NHL '94 online etiquette. These guidelines are intended to minimize hard feelings and anger because players aren't able to talk to each other during the game.

PREGAME

Player 1 (the host) typically takes responsibility for adjusting the settings (time, penalties, players, etc.) Player 2 can also do this but Player 2 should hesitate just a moment before doing so to give Player 1 a chance to take charge.

The player who handles the settings should choose his team first and then move the cursor to his opponent's team.

If you want to use the default team (that is, the team your team selector starts on), just move off and back onto the team so that your opponent knows that you've made a decision and aren't just being lazy.

Hesitate a moment at the matchups screen instead of just pressing start. Some guys like to run through the list and see who's hot and cold on their team.

Player 1 typically sets his lines/goalie first at the pregame menu, but the important thing is for both players to get a chance, so wait a moment before hitting Start.

DURING THE GAME

If you started the game by mistake before your opponent could set his lines (and you'll know this because he'll pause at the opening faceoff and make the changes), the right thing is to force a quick faceoff if possible, preferably in his end of the ice. Neither player should try to score immediately off the faceoff if it was forced to allow the line change (because if a guy gives up the puck to force a faceoff, he'll be steamed if his opponent scores right off the faceoff.) Just take the puck out of the attacking zone to make things fair.

If you want to view a replay of a goal, wait several seconds after the goal before going to the menu. This way, you don't have to sit through 10 seconds of replay and you'll get back to the action sooner.

If you want to view a replay during the action, try and wait until a moment when you wouldn't disadvantage your opponent. That is, wait for a lull in the action where the puck isn't in danger and a scoring chance isn't imminent. Preferably, wait until you have the puck, though this is not always possible. IT IS EXTREMELY RUDE TO PAUSE THE GAME DURING AN OPPONENT'S RUSH OR WHEN HE HAS THE PUCK IN YOUR ZONE.

Avoid excessive replays. Everyone hits the post five times in a game sometimes, and everyone gets screwed by cheap goals on occasion.

On a similar note, everyone gets phone calls sometimes and has to pause the game. Try and use the same guidelines as pausing for a replay. Try to contact your opponent in the kaillera chat or in AIM to tell him you've got a phone call. And try and be understanding when someone does it to you.

If you are whistled for a penalty, try and take control of that player after the whistle and skate him over to the penalty box to save time. We've all had fun by skating as far away from the penalty box as possible, but that should be old by now. If you are getting the power play, don't knock down the player who committed the penalty after the whistle if you can help it.

BETWEEN PERIODS

Wait a moment before hitting start in case your opponent wants to change his lines or look at the stats. The most common reason for a guy to change lines between periods would be if he changed his lines after an injury that lasted for the period. If you want to do these things, be quick about them.

AFTER THE GAME

Say your GG and wait a moment because some guys want to look at the scoring/penalty summary or the stats.

It should be noted that it is also proper etiquette to try and knock over as many of the opposing team's players as possible after a whistle. And if your goalie gets the puck on a delayed penalty call you can skate the goalie up to the penalty box area so he can be in the side-screen penalty box look for extra etiquette points.

Typical Carson answer. But on that note gotta say nothing tops blasting your opponent into the penalty box while the penalized player is skating into the box.

But overall, good rules. I try to follow pretty much all of them.

BIG HOWEVER though, to me, in play replays are bush league during league games no matter the situation.

If you are getting the power play, don't knock down the player who committed the penalty after the whistle if you can help it.

agreed, except this! it's just funny if you dump him in the box, then he gets up again and jumps in the box on his own. etiquette -1, style +2.

if you want a replay during the game, just hit F5 if you can, making a save-state. you can view it later and wonder what it's going to be, like opening a kinder surprise. Just be careful not to save over any important save-states. If something is outrageously hilarious, never-seen-it-before, then i'll forgive pausing and replaying, as long as you have the puck at the time and are reasonably 'open.'

Typical Carson answer. But on that note gotta say nothing tops blasting your opponent into the penalty box while the penalized player is skating into the box.

But overall, good rules. I try to follow pretty much all of them.

BIG HOWEVER though, to me, in play replays are bush league during league games no matter the situation.

Not just league games. The constant replays during casual 2on2 make me want to murder all three other people involved, just in case it's a conspiracy between them.

agreed, except this! it's just funny if you dump him in the box, then he gets up again and jumps in the box on his own. etiquette -1, style +2.

Anytime you can get one of the guys over the boards on the side view thing during a penalty call it's great. Bonus points for smashing the guy into the ref! :beaten:

Not just league games. The constant replays during casual 2on2 make me want to murder all three other people involved, just in case it's a conspiracy between them.

Ya thats true too. What about the pause and then scroll thru menu several times, not due to lag but because something happened that someone didnt like. Seems to be be more prevalent in 2v2.

Me and Habs had this thing going awhile back where I'd takeGC too much during 2v2 and screw up. So Habs would pause and alternate many many times between auto/manual GC. Then during other games, when my opponent goofs up with manual GC I'd do the same thing habs did, which causes a little dissention on their team lol. All in good fun and never in leaguers.

This is a brief guide to NHL '94 online etiquette. These guidelines are intended to minimize hard feelings and anger because players aren't able to talk to each other during the game.

PREGAME

Player 1 (the host) typically takes responsibility for adjusting the settings (time, penalties, players, etc.) Player 2 can also do this but Player 2 should hesitate just a moment before doing so to give Player 1 a chance to take charge.

The player who handles the settings should choose his team first and then move the cursor to his opponent's team.

If you want to use the default team (that is, the team your team selector starts on), just move off and back onto the team so that your opponent knows that you've made a decision and aren't just being lazy.

Hesitate a moment at the matchups screen instead of just pressing start. Some guys like to run through the list and see who's hot and cold on their team.

Player 1 typically sets his lines/goalie first at the pregame menu, but the important thing is for both players to get a chance, so wait a moment before hitting Start.

DURING THE GAME

If you started the game by mistake before your opponent could set his lines (and you'll know this because he'll pause at the opening faceoff and make the changes), the right thing is to force a quick faceoff if possible, preferably in his end of the ice. Neither player should try to score immediately off the faceoff if it was forced to allow the line change (because if a guy gives up the puck to force a faceoff, he'll be steamed if his opponent scores right off the faceoff.) Just take the puck out of the attacking zone to make things fair.

If you want to view a replay of a goal, wait several seconds after the goal before going to the menu. This way, you don't have to sit through 10 seconds of replay and you'll get back to the action sooner.

If you want to view a replay during the action, try and wait until a moment when you wouldn't disadvantage your opponent. That is, wait for a lull in the action where the puck isn't in danger and a scoring chance isn't imminent. Preferably, wait until you have the puck, though this is not always possible. IT IS EXTREMELY RUDE TO PAUSE THE GAME DURING AN OPPONENT'S RUSH OR WHEN HE HAS THE PUCK IN YOUR ZONE.

Avoid excessive replays. Everyone hits the post five times in a game sometimes, and everyone gets screwed by cheap goals on occasion.

On a similar note, everyone gets phone calls sometimes and has to pause the game. Try and use the same guidelines as pausing for a replay. Try to contact your opponent in the kaillera chat or in AIM to tell him you've got a phone call. And try and be understanding when someone does it to you.

If you are whistled for a penalty, try and take control of that player after the whistle and skate him over to the penalty box to save time. We've all had fun by skating as far away from the penalty box as possible, but that should be old by now. If you are getting the power play, don't knock down the player who committed the penalty after the whistle if you can help it.

BETWEEN PERIODS

Wait a moment before hitting start in case your opponent wants to change his lines or look at the stats. The most common reason for a guy to change lines between periods would be if he changed his lines after an injury that lasted for the period. If you want to do these things, be quick about them.

AFTER THE GAME

Say your GG and wait a moment because some guys want to look at the scoring/penalty summary or the stats.

Tick,

I'm guessing you played some practice games to get warmed up and didn't like what you experienced with other players?

-Evan

No, not really. I'd just had the idea of writing stuff like this down a while ago, and I just felt like doing it yesterday afternoon when I was bored.

Well, ok, there was one quick instant replay that reminded me of all of this, I guess.