NHL'94 Forums

HOW TO: Prevent 2on2 roms from crashing in Edit Lines

smozoma

I managed to prevent the crash, and allow you to change lines. There is a bit of a side effect: the LW's name is shown in the LD spot and the C's, in the RD.

jesusplaysnhl94 told me that some teams could edit lines and some couldn't, which gave me a starting point to figure this hack out... (it gave me a way to compare the 2 cases to see what the difference was..)

If you want to make a 1on1, 3on3, or 4on4 ROM, please try to figure it out using the info supplied, but if you get stuck, ask me.

Here are the changes to make to the ROM:

OFFSET:      82F2 (hex)
OLD VALUE:   0001
NEW VALUE:   0003
DESCRIPTION: (?? I forgot.  I think this controls which position is 
             initially selected.  01=LD, 02=RD, 03=LW, etc.)

OFFSET:      8636 (hex)
OLD VALUE:   52
NEW VALUE:   56
DESCRIPTION: (Edit Lines: first position to display.  
             52=LD, 54=RD, 56=LW, 58=C)

OFFSET:      879D (hex)
OLD VALUE:   04
NEW VALUE:   01
DESCRIPTION: (Edit Lines: number of players to display, minus 1.   
             '04' shows 5.  '01' shows 2)  

OFFSET:      8375 (hex)
OLD VALUE:   01
NEW VALUE:   03
DESCRIPTION: (Edit Lines: Highest position to allow selecting.  
             01=LD, 03=LW)  

OFFSET:      837B  (hex)
OLD VALUE:   05
NEW VALUE:   04
DESCRIPTION: (Edit Lines: Lowest position to allow selecting.  
              05=RW, 04=C) 

OFFSET:      8C76 (hex)
OLD VALUE:   7204
NEW VALUE:   7201
DESCRIPTION: (Team Rosters: number of players to display, minus 1.  
             '04' shows 5.  '01' shows 2)  

OFFSET:      8C6E (hex)
OLD VALUE:   0001
NEW VALUE:   0003
DESCRIPTION: (Team Rosters: which player to start displaying from.  
             01=LD, 03=LW)  

OFFSET:      86DC(hex)
OLD VALUE:   4C44
NEW VALUE:   4C57
DESCRIPTION: (Team Rosters:  Position name strings.  
             4C44="LD", 5244="RD", 4C57="LW", 4300="C ", 5257="RW")

OFFSET:      86E2(hex)
OLD VALUE:   5244
NEW VALUE:   4320

OFFSET:      86E8(hex)
OLD VALUE:   4C57
NEW VALUE:   2020
             4C44="LD", 5244="RD", 4C57="LW", 4300="C ", 5257="RW" 2020="  ")

OFFSET:      86EE(hex)
OLD VALUE:   4320

OFFSET:      86F4(hex)
OLD VALUE:   5257

OFFSET:      191D2 (hex)
OLD VALUE:   4C44 0004 5244
NEW VALUE:   4C57 0004 4300

The game was crashing because when there is no player in a line slot, the game doesn't set up some values that indicate what number and name to print, it just leaves whatever old values were there before.. if you're lucky, the values can be interpreted as text. if they can't, the game crashes.

to REVERT a rom you edited with the old fix, do this:

OFFSET: 18AAA
Restore Original VALUE: 6100 0130 6100 92E6

OFFSET: 18ab8
Restore Original VALUE: 6100 92E4

(You should be overwriting a bunch of 4e71 values)

Edited by smozoma

Awesome, just awesome!

No more dit lines crashon!

so no more Gaga out when rapon ;)

Tremendous boon for 2on2.

I've grappled with this issue ever since I hatched the first 2on2 rom some years ago.

Exasperated with trying to decipher this issue examining team data, I presented this to Smozoma last week along with the 7 teams that are immune to the infamous edit lines crash, and he delivers with the 2on2 Da Vinci Code.

2on2.org can be used to log next seasons Summit Series. The idea was to take my summit rom and insert the names of forum members to their country of orgin along with jersey # and handedness. Before the match commences you edit lines - select your name and upload the game old style.

This way we can stat track for coaches and keep track of home | away, and games played for coaches (if a threshold exists).

Full marks to Smozoma, well done sir.

2on2.org can be used to log next seasons Summit Series. The idea was to take my summit rom and insert the names of forum members to their country of orgin along with jersey # and handedness. Before the match commences you edit lines - select your name and upload the game old style.

This way we can stat track for coaches and keep track of home | away, and games played for coaches (if a threshold exists).

PURE AWESOME

updated again so Team Rosters doesn't crash

this never used to crash

i think :(

this never used to crash

i think :)

it depends on the team. LA works, MTL doesn't. When it works, it's just luck that the incorrect data happens to be displayable.

You cant just use NOSE to make a 1on1 or 2on2 or 3on3 or 4on4 rom?

I easily made them for snes with statto's editor.

You need to use NOSE to clear the line positions you don't want on the ice, but the game will crash if you go into Edit Lines or Team Rosters.. this set of hacks prevents the crashes... :)

• 2 weeks later...
would this work with 93??

I think it might work, since the menu system looks the same, so the code is probably the same. I have not tried it, though.

• 3 months later...

I tried this, it didnt work for me

it just freezes with this dark screen

(players are set to LW and C, but this shows up anyway)

wtgaaa.png

I missed this post before...

Can you send me the ROM, on AIM?

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Bump.

Kind of curious on this one, as I am not exactly sure if this method will help out with what I am looking for.

Perhaps some insight could be delivered on this, it definitely could come in handy for further reference.

Would this particular method for repairing the Line Editing Crash be able to work with the optimization of a Six on Six (Empty Net) ROM, at least with what we currently know about the Thirty Team ROM Assembly?

Made sense for me to ask, as I do have to know if this would work, considering that whenever I do get to working on MIAA Women's Hockey 20I5: The Blitz Tour, that will be an Empty Net Six on Six ROM; the primary reason for asking if this fix would would work on such a build is primarily because I know that the Extra Attacker is not ever listed in the Line Editor Menu, and the game clearly does not present them in the Main Menu and Matchups screen, that is what worries me the most about this factor; well, that, and I do not know if it is probable to replace the Goalie in the Main Menu and Matchups screens to have the Extra Attacker instead, I presume that requires Intermediate to Advanced level knowledge on recoding the game to present players that were not meant to be displayed this way, but I am positive that might be a challenge in and of itself.

I am looking for primarily two things out of how this method works:

~ The first would be to assure that there is absolutely no sign of the goalies as playable whatsoever, as The Blitz Tour will be made with quick periods and Empty Net Six on Six play with the Extra Attacker as the primary attraction for its gameplay.

~ The second would be what you have asked me above, getting the Extra Attacker to appear and be changed in the Line Editor screen, that will also be mandatory because some players of TBT might want that feature in there to insert a better player rather than the EA that they are forced to play with.

At the same time, however, to prevent game crashes, there will also have to be a way to replace the Goalie at both the Main Menu and Matchups screen with the EA instead, as without the Goalie in the NLC line in NOSE, the game will crash when they show up on screen, so the EA would have to be presented in those screens to assist in rebounding from that issue.

If this is probable using the above and/or extra methods for an optimal Empty Net Six on Six ROM, then knowing this for future reference will come in handy when I do get around to working on TBT.

If it is improbable at this time, then I understand, I will wait until a new or better method comes up for working on that easier.

Edited by Royameadow

I wonder if you could just hack the game so that the goalie is always in the pulled state.

As for whether this would display the extra attacker, maybe, worth a try, just set the variables appropriately (for example, 0x879D to 5 instead of the default 4(which shows 5 players), and so on).

Okay, so after trying this out, your method does work in the regard that changing it from 04 to 05 for each player line does present the Extra Attacker.

The only downside with this though: not only is "EA" not presented (it's not in the code, of course, so that is reasonable), but it is improbable for me to highlight it without editing something else, but I would not know what.

Below are two screenshots from MIAA Women's Hockey 20I5 ~ Volume 0I: The Mass Tour (Revision 00c) which present the Extra Attacker being present.

11056562_881057275265125_490644501779780

11951854_881057311931788_419522146404448

The same thing also appears to work for the Penalty Kill lines, which I have changed to have the Right Wing player present on the menu, but similar to the Six Player lines, the extra player slots cannot be edited.

I presume that there are indeed other offsets that I have to modify first, but I would not happen to know what those would be.

Would you happen to know where exactly would have to be modified now, given this factor?

Offsets 00087C1 and 00087C7, those are what I had to modify to present other players in the Penalty Kill slots, 87C1 for Penalty Kill 0I and 87C7 for Penalty Kill 02, respectively.

Their original values in the hex editor at those offsets is set to 03; to get the Right Wing shown on the screen, using your method, 03 would have to be changed to 04, it still works the same way.

Below would be what is supposed to be shown after modifying both of those offsets.

11095221_881076181929901_470248310194982

You are welcome. (:

Just attempted to see if editing at 000837B that way would work, twice before reading this, and twice after.

Sadly, no luck on that, pressing Directional Pad Down when the Right Wing player is highlighted will only take me to the next page, rather than highlighting the Extra Attacker; we're probably missing something on this that we have yet to find at this point in time, I'm sure that it'll be found or figured out eventually.

• 2 years later...