NHL'94 Forums

lovin the ol '92

halifax

downloaded the rom yesterday.

The fights, the abundance of garbage penalty calls and the plethra of cheapo goals.....love playin this game.

The ability to instigate fights after the whistle is by far the best feature of the game. That and the theme music, which is pretty badass. If the players had more movement in the fights like in '93, it would be the ultimate goon game.

The part I really find funny about is the penalties. Of course in the real NHL, if two guys receive minor penalties and then a third gets a penalty, the third guys' penalty doesn't start until the first guys' penalty is finished. In this game...as soon as you go to the box, the time just starts ticking down right away regardless of how many guys are in there. Even the guy who gets the fight instigator penalty should be in the box for 7 minutes...but someone else serves the minor...so he's always out in 5...haha.

Is this the magic music you speak of?

That is indeed the song...although different game.

EA hockey(the one you have there) has international teams instead of nhl teams.

• 2 months later...
That is indeed the song...although different game.

EA hockey(the one you have there) has international teams instead of nhl teams.

Actually it's the correct song, just the wrong image for the game. NHL ''91 had the same msuci but it was sped up, just like the game was...

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/3/2010 at 3:59 PM, rangerjoe said:

Actually it's the correct song, just the wrong image for the game. NHL ''91 had the same msuci but it was sped up, just like the game was...

only if you are emulating it incorrectly.  the actual games are the same except for the brandings, right down to the fact that the two teams that would be allstar teams on the earlier NHL '92 are excluded from the playoffs in the later EA Hockey release.

Smoz:  yep.  is it 50 versus 60?  something like that.  the game and music are then at the normal speed that makes it match the other version of the game.  EA Hockey was a kind of sloppy export of NHL '92 -- it is not NHL '91 at all.  I freaking LOVE these games.  these two, Sega CD, PC NHL games from circa 1994 are each almost as good as NHL '94 (for the SNES, of course).  '92 has flow.

Edited by trudatman

oh.. whoa.  is that on SNES emulators, DomJag?  I have been trying to come up with a simple way to make NHL '94 faster and slower.  I think I'd prefer slower, but... wow.  explain it again?  works the other way to slow it down?

Edited by trudatman

You posted just couple of seconds after me :-D

It definitely works in MD emulator, have no idea about SNES. There's a slower version on NHL 94 for SNES, the PAL version. It is slower and you will notice that. All games in PAL versions are slower than NTSC versions, you can always choose the one you prefer. If the shmup is too fast in NTSC version, play the PAL one. Or vice versa with racing games.

About changing the speed in emulator... Probably not. IIRC in Sega emulator its possible to switch between PAL and NTSC (fps) which leads to "confusion" of the game and its much faster then. In SNES emulator(s) there is no such switching between PAL and NTSC but there are usually at least two versions, one for Europe (and Japan) and one for Northern America. 

Edited by DominikJagr

hmm... that seems right... GENS and the other common Genesis one have toggles, but SNES9x and the SENS -- or whatever it is called -- one don't, yeah?  so... if I want to have a slower flow, I need a foreign console?  would a USA-market cartridge fit or would I need a foreign ROM-running cartridge, too?  

10 hours ago, trudatman said:

hmm... that seems right... GENS and the other common Genesis one have toggles, but SNES9x and the SENS -- or whatever it is called -- one don't, yeah?  so... if I want to have a slower flow, I need a foreign console?  would a USA-market cartridge fit or would I need a foreign ROM-running cartridge, too?  

Its possible to hack SNES and then use both PAL and NTSC cartridges, there are plenty of threads, vids and tutorials how to do it. 

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snes-5060hz-switch-with-lockout-switch/

https://hackaday.com/2013/03/01/hacking-a-pal-snes-to-output-50hz-or-60hz-with-a-single-switch/

Google more and you will find more tutorials and discussions about it, including youtube videos. I am not sure if people hack NTSC to PAL, PAL to NTSC makes more sense coz NTSC games are considered "the proper versions". If these NTSC to PAL SNES units exist, they probably might be available on ebay or similar sites. 

But you can always use emulator. Which is what I recommend to you to find out if the PAL version is ok for you, imo it sucks, its way too slow and IIRC there is some weird and silly trumphet song when the shot goes wide or goalies make saves. Just play couple of games and you will see and hear what Im talking about. I remember I played the PAL version  of SNES NHL 94 fifteen years ago and I had no idea about fps differences (actually I had but I had no idea how big difference it could make) and I was very disappointed with the game, it was way too slow. When I tried NTSC version couple of years ago I was hoooked and it made me to google this site. 

Maybe some hex edit might change speed of the game.

Edited by DominikJagr