NHL'94 Forums

NHLPA Hockey '93 - 64-team ROM (SNES)

smozoma

Wow - this is amazing. To be able to edit the banners is really cool. Can't wait to have a proper look.

I know you said your finished for now but was just wondering how easy it would be to make the rink editable?

Also are the players on the bench editable??

and puck and goal and siren and....

I won't be looking into the sounds.

Some of the sprites and tiles are decompressed, so you can just open the ROM up in tile molester or tile layer pro and see what you can do. I think a lot (all?) of the rink tiles are uncompressed, as well as the player sprites. So you might be able to just spot them and edit them (ie there's nothing for me to do).

I think the only difficulty would be that some rink tiles will be shared (so if you edit one, it shows up in multiple places, which I think was what made making the trapezoid so difficult in gens), but I don't want to spend the time to do the stuff it would take to fix that.

and puck and goal and siren and....

If you're talking about the sound of the siren... It works in Snes9x, so it's an emulator issue, dunno what can be done there. :(

Edited by Xstioph

I won't be looking into the sounds.

Some of the sprites and tiles are decompressed, so you can just open the ROM up in tile molester or tile layer pro and see what you can do. I think a lot (all?) of the rink tiles are uncompressed, as well as the player sprites. So you might be able to just spot them and edit them (ie there's nothing for me to do).

I think the only difficulty would be that some rink tiles will be shared (so if you edit one, it shows up in multiple places, which I think was what made making the trapezoid so difficult in gens), but I don't want to spend the time to do the stuff it would take to fix that.

Are you sure the rink tiles are uncompressed?? They are on the Sega version but not on the SNES unless I'm being very blind. I managed to change the rink tiles on the penalty box screen but nowhere else. The tiles will be shared but isn't too hard to do once you get used to it. It think the rink is fairly generic so I should be able to just copy my Sega rink hacks over to SNES - hence why I was asking about making the rink editable.

The puck and nets are editable (managed to remove the nets). All the player sprites are editable except those on the bench - or I can't find those either. I have pretty much finished my striphack for this game where all of the jersey/helmets are seperate. Looks pretty good apart from the players on the bench which are different because I can't edit them.

Are you sure the rink tiles are uncompressed?? They are on the Sega version but not on the SNES unless I'm being very blind. I managed to change the rink tiles on the penalty box screen but nowhere else. The tiles will be shared but isn't too hard to do once you get used to it. It think the rink is fairly generic so I should be able to just copy my Sega rink hacks over to SNES - hence why I was asking about making the rink editable.

The puck and nets are editable (managed to remove the nets). All the player sprites are editable except those on the bench - or I can't find those either. I have pretty much finished my striphack for this game where all of the jersey/helmets are seperate. Looks pretty good apart from the players on the bench which are different because I can't edit them.

sorry, i'm probably wrong. I saw a bunch of editable stuff and figured it all would be.

• 5 months later...

How Do I Edit the Ron Barr text?:

The Ron Barr text is found at offset @90000 in the ROM. Each blurb MUST end with the '0D' hex character, as the game counts these to know which blurb to display. You can change the size of the blurbs if you want.

There needs to always be 64 team blurbs, even if there are not 64 teams in the ROM. The game searches for the "Hi Welcome to [Cityname]. I'm Ron Barr for EASN." text in location 65, so all other 64 need to be there, even if they aren't used.

Smoz, can I change the location of the "Hi Welcome to [Cityname]. I'm Ron Barr for EASN." because I only want a rom with 23 teams, so need it to be the 24th instead of the 64th? Is there a quick way of doing this?

Edited by top shelf

Smoz, can I change the location of the "Hi Welcome to [Cityname]. I'm Ron Barr for EASN." because I only want a rom with 23 teams, so need it to be the 24th instead of the 64th? Is there a quick way of doing this?

Does it not work if you have fewer teams? From what I wrote before, it sounds like it should work no matter how many teams are used (displayed in the main menu) in the ROM.

Does it not work if you have fewer teams? From what I wrote before, it sounds like it should work no matter how many teams are used (displayed in the main menu) in the ROM.

No it doesn't it crashes at Ron Barr screen. I copied the data from a .bin file. as already had OD at the end. However the data is longer than your 64 team data so the 'Welcome to' is now at 9470D and is #24 rather than #65

No it doesn't it crashes at Ron Barr screen. I copied the data from a .bin file. as already had OD at the end. However the data is longer than your 64 team data so the 'Welcome to' is now at 9470D and is #24 rather than #65

You can change the value at offset 7DE35 from 40 hex (64 dec) to 17 hex (23 dec).

I always expected people would just edit the text manually, and insert the correct number of '0D' characters, but alternatively you can do it by changing the value above.

You can change the value at offset 7DE35 from 40 hex (64 dec) to 17 hex (23 dec).

I always expected people would just edit the text manually, and insert the correct number of '0D' characters, but alternatively you can do it by changing the value above.

I tried this and it runs through but then crashes!! Is there anything else to change? Tried 18 but this missed the blurbs out then crashed after the goalie bit??

Go back and copy the original where I set up 64 spaces for team blurbs, and just stick to those areas :)

If you overflow an area, then just make sure you have the correct number of '0D' bytes. The way I have it set up, I think every blurb (except the first one) 'starts' with an 0D (but that 0D is actually the ending of the previous blurb, which is why the first blurb doesn't have an 0D at the start).

EDIT:

I guess your blurbs are really huge. What you need to do is this:

Paste in your 23 blurbs. At this point you should have 23 '0D' characters.

Add 41 more '0D' characters to get 64 total.

Copy in the other Ron Barr text from the original ROM after that 64th '0D'

I think that will work.

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, Jlnhlsegafan said:

I use iHex on Mac. There's just NO PLACE to put any changes, except the R O N  B A R R  blurbs, and the pause menu.

What changes are you trying to make?

6 hours ago, Jlnhlsegafan said:

I'm trying to replace some names in the editor, but there's no place to put the hex the changes use on the rom itself.

You can remove players and/or teams to make your modifications fit.

How to do it is mentioned in the 2nd post

Let me know if you have any problems (the more detailed info you give me, the better I can help)

• smozoma changed the title to NHLPA Hockey '93 - 64-team ROM (SNES)
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know if there’s a way to turn off playoffs or eliminate rounds in order to make an 8-team or 4-team playoff? (Or theoretically byes for alternate numbers of playoff teams?)

On 8/6/2021 at 2:25 PM, simba said:

Does anyone know if there’s a way to turn off playoffs or eliminate rounds in order to make an 8-team or 4-team playoff? (Or theoretically byes for alternate numbers of playoff teams?)

You might be able to make the first round a bunch of mirror matches. But then in the first round you play against yourself.

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, woodward.72 said:

I absolutely love this! I'm a noob however. Is there a chart or guide that shows which columns in the editor correspond to which in-game player attributes and which characters to input to get the desired in-game ratings?

When it comes to NHLPA93, I'd recommend using the Genesis version and NOSE editor. 93 on SNES is just a direct clone/port of the Genesis version but suffers from some problems due to the different hardware of the SNES and inexperience of the developers with that console (slow framerate, limited sounds..). The Genesis version is just totally better, there's no reason to want to play the SNES version.

You can also use NOSE to discover exactly what the values for 93 are, it tells you in the interface (but yes I really should have included that in the XLS!)

But to answer your question...

The numbers go from 0-9,A-F. A=10, B=11, C=12 etc. F is the highest value (99 in game?). I don't know the exact in-game mapping. I might be a little off below, so you'll just have to double-check by making an edit then seeing if you get the expected result.

• the first 2 digits are the sweater number
  • next 2 digits: agility,speed
  • offensive awareness, defensive awareness
  • shot power, checking
  • fighting, stick handling (for stick handling, you control right/left handed by using an odd or even digit)
  • shot accuracy, endurance
  • passing bias, passing accuracy

But again... just play the Genesis version instead!

• 9 months later...
On 4/16/2010 at 6:19 PM, smozoma said:

64-Team NHLPA'93 ROM v0.96

Here is an NHLPA '93 ROM hacked to have up to 64 teams.

An editor is included (it's an Excel spreadsheet that you can edit player names etc in and it'll generate hex code you can paste into the ROM).

NHLPA Hockey 93 (64 teams) v096.zip 1.9 MB · 941 downloads

If you made a custom ROM with the previous version, please send me your old editor file, and I'll port the information over into the new editor. (PM me and I'll give you my email address)

Features:

• 64 teams.
    • 30 NHL teams (rosters up until July 9th 2010, might be a few mistakes and wrong numbers)
    • 24 KHL (plus 2 All Star teams) from the 2009-10 season
    • 8 Olympics teams from the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics

[*]Banners for all teams.

[*]Updated Ron Barr text.

[*]Menu defaults changed to 5 minute periods, PHI vs CHI, Penalties On with No Offsides.

[*]Playoff trees for the NHL and KHL, including last year's NHL 1st-round matchups.

post-253-077982000 1278916934_thumb.pngpost-253-047877100 1278916943_thumb.pngpost-253-087122800 1278916950_thumb.pngpost-253-076457800 1278916960_thumb.png

Unfeatures (things I didn't feel like doing, but that you can do):

• I did not do any player or team attribute editing, so good players/teams might have bad ratings, and vice versa.
  • Since there are so many teams/players, but limited space for team/player info in the ROM, I had to keep player names short. Most players only have first initials. If you want full names, then see the FAQ (next post) for how to remove teams to free up space.
  • Uniform colours were just copied from the uniform palettes from the original ROM, so for the new teams, they are close, but not totally accurate.

A quick-and-dirty editor is included (Excel required. 2007 recommended, but older versions of excel or OpenOffice.org Calc should work; however, I haven't tried them). The 'editor' (if it can really be called that...) also tells you the several bytes to change to hide teams you don't want to see, if you don't want to use them all.

Maybe some day I'll return to '93 and make the intro graphics and Ron Barr image editable, but for now I'm done with '93. If you make your own version now, and I update this later with editable intro graphics, it will be trivial to port your work to the updated ROM, so don't hesitate to go ahead and make something cool now.

v0.96 - Fixed penalty crash. Fixed a bug in the editor with the lines.

v0.95 - Increased to 64 teams. Added editable banners, current NHL rosters, last season's KHL and Olympics rosters. Improved editor.

v0.91-v0.92 - Bug fixes.

v0.90 - First release. 52 teams. Excel-based Editor.

Current version:

14 July 2010 - v0.96 - NHLPA Hockey 93 (64 teams) v096.zip

Old versions:

12 July 2010 - v0.95 - NHLPA Hockey 93 (64 teams) v095.zip

16 April 2010 - v0.92 - NHLPA_Hockey___93__52_teams__v092.zip

That is all fine and dandy, but how do I go about editing players' names and maxing out skill stats and editing the hex numbers to make sure it all appears properly??? I read the help document but something's still amiss to me...

1 hour ago, CPLANAS1985 said:

That is all fine and dandy, but how do I go about editing players' names and maxing out skill stats and editing the hex numbers to make sure it all appears properly??? I read the help document but something's still amiss to me...

Hi, tell me how far you got, what are you stuck on?