NHL'94 Forums

Skill meaning

golub

I wonder what some of the skills mean. Here is what I observed..

Speed: how fast the player moves

Agility: how fast the player turns around

Weight: affects ability to push others away, adds to power in checking, makes skating and turning quicker slower

Shot power: how fast wrist shot is released and how hard in general the shot is

Checking: how hgigh likelyhook of knocking a player down or getting him out of balance when checking, and how much speed is required for doing so

Stickhandling: how well a player controls or breaks the puck from someone else, how close a player can stand to the goalie without losing the puck

Accuracy: how little margin is required to shoot on..

Passing: how hard passes go (alt)

Endurance: how much energy is drained in general

These are more unclear to me. Can you help me: is my guess is right, or what else do they do?

Faceoffs: likilyhood of winning a faceoff.. does not seem to be the only ability which affects this? try settings skills to 100/25 and you see what I mean, the 25 guy still wins a lot

Aggressiveness: likilyhood of getting a penalty when tripping/crosschecking/holding.. maybe also how close players lie opponents and how likely to check when defending?

Offensive awareness: positioning in offensive zone.. the higher, the better placed for re-bounds, one-timers etc

Defensive awareness: positioning in defensive zone.. the higher, better coverage back home, cutting off passes better etc

Shoot/pass bias: no clue. I thought a high value meant that the player rather passes than shoots.. or is it that a high value means that the player is biased and that whatever is highest of shot power and passing is used? never understood this. is it only used by the AI to determine this? does it affect the shot?

u1: custom/young players seem to have this astronomically high.. some kind of "luck" value?

u2: likelyhood to go in shooting position of one-timers

u3: likelyhood of passing setups for one-timers

u4: likelyhood of passing setups for one-timers

u5: likelyhood of passing setups for one-timers

u2-u5 are all very high on good players.. u1 is generally low.

Maybe someone can help clarify if there are other effects or my guess is wrong?

agility refers to how quickly a player will reach his top speed.

shot power does not affect wrist shots, only slap shots, but i think you just mis-typed.

shoot/pass bias, at least from what i can figure out, affects the likelihood that a pass will go on net instead of being passed to another player. it may also affect the computer AI, that i'm not sure about.

i never bothered to find out what u1 means. custom players get a value of 600 there, and i always change it.

i've always felt u2-u5 have something to do with ability to withstand checks, but i'm questioning that. i really am not sure anymore.

shot power does not affect wrist shots, only slap shots, but i think you just mis-typed.

this is so not true, i scored tons of goal with hull using wrist shots cause of his 6 shot power, prolly not his 3 of accuracy.

wrong, thats what speed is.

Agility is how quickly/easily a player can change direction, see Savard.

And guys like Selanne, Bure, the Courtnalls, Mogilny, Ruutu....

Christian Ruutu from the Blackhawks. He's fairly fast, I'd say; though Roenick is faster.

And there's this selfless, magical thing we call the Edit button. Use that, old boy. :o

Edited by RedWingDevil

Christian Ruutu from the Blackhawks. He's fairly fast, I'd say; though Roenick is faster.

Ruutu has 4 agility and 4 speed, along with a rather hefty 8 weight.. I don't know how you see him as an example of a speedy or maneuverable player to be mentioned along with the other guys you mentioned (many of whom have speeds higher than their agilities, so also aren't particularly good examples for agility when there are guys like yzerman, gretzky, lafontaine who can turn on a dime...)

Checking: how hgigh likelyhook of knocking a player down or getting him out of balance when checking, and how much speed is required for doing so

I'm not familiar with 95, but I know that in 94, the checking rating has nothing to do with how effective a check is. The checking rating only affects how often the AI throws checks.

What about the players we do control? Wouldn't our chances be better if we use them ourselves?

I'm not familiar with 95, but I know that in 94, the checking rating has nothing to do with how effective a check is. The checking rating only affects how often the AI throws checks.
What about the players we do control? Wouldn't our chances be better if we use them ourselves?

Whether we control a guy or not doesn't affect the chances of the other player falling down if you check them. It only affects the AI.

However, the 'weight bug fix' hack for 93 and 94 factors the checking stat into a hit's power, so it matters.