NHL'94 Forums

how to win faceoffs?

golub

• 5 months later...

Answering my own question... It seems to be about pressing the ALT key as close to the drop as possible. So when the ref starts moving his arm, press ALT.

I am also not sure.. but tapping at least once in the ice before that seems to help as well.

This is just based on feeling though, but at least I can win more faceoffs than the comp this way.

if your on the keyboard first press and hold down whatever you use for left/right/up/down and then mash the button you got set as your pass button and then you'll win your faceoffs

• 6 years later...

Ever wondered why the away team has always a significant FACEOFF ADVANTAGE ?

My try...

The Referee ALWAY throws the puck in with his upper hand (in relation to the screen).

The away team plays 2 periods downwards an 1 period upwards (in relation to the screen).

So most of the time the center from the away team is closer to the Refs hand.

Therefore..

If you don't even hit a button, you can win some faceoffs.  The player being used in the faceoff doesn't appear to impact who wins the drop at all either.

So, I don't find mashing helps, but I do it any way out of habit.

Also, USED to think it's kind of like rock, paper, scissors in that if I'm pulling back, and you are pushing left, let's say that wins, but if I'm pulling right, and you are pulling back, you win, etc.   THERE seemed to be some logic to it, but now I think it's this:

COMPLETELY RANDOM whether you hit no buttons, all the buttons, a select button, a direction, etc.

I traditionally fair better than most for whatever reason.  Did a 7 game series last night in the playoffs for Et Tu Brute vs Ice.  In Game 6, he had a 77% faceoff success rate (10 of 13!), and I had Mario at center.
After 7 games, I was 51%, and he was 49%.  Seems random with a large enough sample size.  On a smaller size, you can start to see these, imo.

Nah. Players with good ST will win more than others, heavier players can also withstand more punishment in the face-off circle.

My experience anyway.

I'd like a list of faceoff plays and how to do them.

3 hours ago, jer_33 said:

Nah. Players with good ST will win more than others, heavier players can also withstand more punishment in the face-off circle.

My experience anyway.

I'd like a list of faceoff plays and how to do them.

For centers, you don't get heavier or better stick handling than Mario, especially combined, so I say this 100%...

The center does NOT affect the faceoff results. 

I've been using him for a long time, and he has no better results than anyone else.

plabax claims that theres an rps mechanic to faceoffs, but he never goes into full detail because hes full of bs lol

in my ancient experience my gut used to tell me that trying to win the faceoff back to your dmen has a higher % chance of you winning the draw than if you try to win it to a winger.

this is just my own theory, but when i play i always try to win it back to a dman cuz I feel like I win more that way. It kinda makes sense imo in a way realism-wise, as I feel like winning a draw to a winger would take more finesse irl than winning it back to a dman. I feel like you dont need to be as accurate.

Mashing C off the faceoff seems less consistent as well

Edited by TomKabs93

If you watch game 5 of the Spring 13 GENS A Finals, with 29 seconds left you can see that I intentionally have Yzerman on the RW so I could win the faceoff to him and score to tie the game 

There is no way to verify this, but I knew I would win the faceoff :D

10 hours ago, Premium said:

If you watch game 5 of the Spring 13 GENS A Finals, with 29 seconds left you can see that I intentionally have Yzerman on the RW so I could win the faceoff to him and score to tie the game 

There is no way to verify this, but I knew I would win the faceoff :D

Problem is the faceoff before, you lost it to Raph who went it to score a goal.

So, in the end of that small size, you were 50%.

I lost it but it was not from center ice. Where the faceoff is has an impact on the percentages because people win their faceoffs differently based on where the faceoff is.

I won 72% of the faceoffs that game and I finished #1 in faceoff percentage for the playoffs.

Also, I used to feel a righty could push to right easier & lefty to left easier, and pulling back angle left or angle right was easier as well with the correct handed center, BUT...

as ive studied to the results more over the past year, the stats aren't backing my feelings.

Does seem to have some rock, paper , scissors effect while I'm in the game & playing, but when it's over & I look back at like 10 plus games of data, I'm way too close to 50% for this to be true.

Only thing is true is you can direct where the faceoff goes to if you win.  

1 minute ago, Premium said:

I lost it but it was not from center ice. Where the faceoff is has an impact on the percentages because people win their faceoffs differently based on where the faceoff is.

I won 72% of the faceoffs that game and I finished #1 in faceoff percentage for the playoffs.

I agree that against the wall, I always feel I lose it if I push to the right!

One game at 73% doesn't mean much & I know you are generally higher like me, but I thought it was more like a total of 52% instead of say 65%, for your total face offs .

2% is an obvious bonus but not enough to declare it true, especially when hitting no buttons can get you a winning faceoff close to 50%.

Couple things to add.

Momentum also seems to affect face-offs - and if it's against you, you are best to take a time-out or make a player change.

I feel like your face-off win% is always much better after a time-out.

4 hours ago, jer_33 said:

Couple things to add.

Momentum also seems to affect face-offs - and if it's against you, you are best to take a time-out or make a player change.

I feel like your face-off win% is always much better after a time-out.

Not to try to be argumentative, but I don't find that momentum affects it at all.  I also don't think the player you are using affects it at all.

If the player's ratings had an effect on it, then momentum might have an effect.

To me, and I've been watching it for a while, it is one of those things you can easily fill in something that is not real, because odds are, 50% of the time, whatever you do is going to be "proven right".

If I toss the coin from this angle, it tends to land heads.  The next 4 out of 5 come up heads.  PROOF! 

It's not a stat that is counted in season mode, but in the past during a forum post like this, guys have taken time to count face off percentages for a decent amount of games and found that almost everyone sits around 50% over a long enough time line/large enough data sample.

its one of the worst aspects of nhl94 when you think of it, because everything else is mainly under your control and has strategy to it. 

That would actually be one of the best hacks ever, if someone could find a way to make faceoffs skill-based. Including both a rock-paper-scissors aspect to it, as well as accounting for timing. 

New nhls have that, where i can win the majority of the faceoffs against almost everyone I play, but when i run into a top top player I can be cleaned out in the dot cuz theyre able to switch handedness at the last second and still time the right draw back choice

Thatd be really cool to have in 94!

Geeze, just noticed this was under "NHL95" sub-forum... maybe it is different than '94?

In '94 I am confident it is random.  As Brutus said, if the sample size is large enough it evens out to 50-50 (over hundreds or thousands of games)...

But we have all been victims of losing 13-2 in faceoffs one game, or whatever spike, or winning near 100%, and then fool ourselves into drawing correlations.  That is my own (and Mr.Spock's) opinion, anyway.