NHL'94 Forums

NHLPA 93 Hack Help

Guest ibleedblue

Guest ibleedblue

Been working on a late 80s hack. I've done all I can do with NOSE (awesome program by the way). Not being a hex editor guru, I was looking to find smoe support for the following:

1. Removing TB, SJ, OTT, and the All Star teams as playable teams.

2. Editing Ron Barr's commentary. I found it in the hex editor but does the number of characters have to be the same?

3. Editing team banners.

There's a lot of support and resources for NHL 94 but no so muc for NHLPA 93. Has anyone put together an idiot's guide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Been working on a late 80s hack. I've done all I can do with NOSE (awesome program by the way). Not being a hex editor guru, I was looking to find smoe support for the following:

1. Removing TB, SJ, OTT, and the All Star teams as playable teams.

2. Editing Ron Barr's commentary. I found it in the hex editor but does the number of characters have to be the same?

3. Editing team banners.

There's a lot of support and resources for NHL 94 but no so muc for NHLPA 93. Has anyone put together an idiot's guide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i think i can help with the first 2, but not tonight..

as for the 3rd, i think there is a 30-team NHLPA93 ROM around? this probably has the graphics decompressed, so they can be edited with Tile Molester.

Here is the 30-team ROM

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=9392

and a bugfix http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=9669

to remove teams:

First, you need to re-order the team pointers, putting the teams you don't want at the end (or leaving them out entirely). you can find the values of the team pointers in NOSE, since they are shown in i think the left-most column on the Teams window. So do a search in the ROM for a couple of those values and you should be able to find the team pointer table.

Next, you need to reduce the number of teams the ROM uses: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=2935 (post #6 gives the info for NHLPA 93)

To change the Ron Barr text:

with the decompressed ROM, i think there is lots of empty space around the different text blurbs he does, so you can expand the text if you want to.

Just be careful not to change the size of the ROM.

Guest ibleedblue
Here is the 30-team ROM

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=9392

and a bugfix http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=9669

to remove teams:

First, you need to re-order the team pointers, putting the teams you don't want at the end (or leaving them out entirely). you can find the values of the team pointers in NOSE, since they are shown in i think the left-most column on the Teams window. So do a search in the ROM for a couple of those values and you should be able to find the team pointer table.

Next, you need to reduce the number of teams the ROM uses: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=2935 (post #6 gives the info for NHLPA 93)

To change the Ron Barr text:

with the decompressed ROM, i think there is lots of empty space around the different text blurbs he does, so you can expand the text if you want to.

Just be careful not to change the size of the ROM.

Thanks for the help...I successfully limited the teams but am still struggling with moving teams to the end. For example, I was looking at Tampa Bay and couldn't find anything that identified them as team "19". Then I tried to moving all the TB code after Winnepeg and that sort of worked. The Tampa Bay banner appeared for Tonronto and then when I cycled to the end, the ROM bombed out. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help...I successfully limited the teams but am still struggling with moving teams to the end. For example, I was looking at Tampa Bay and couldn't find anything that identified them as team "19". Then I tried to moving all the TB code after Winnepeg and that sort of worked. The Tampa Bay banner appeared for Tonronto and then when I cycled to the end, the ROM bombed out. Any suggestions?

you need to find and rearrange the team "pointers" (addresses). that way you don't need to rearrange the team data (which is fraught with peril :P)

I think they are at hex location 0310 and are 4 bytes / 8 characters each.

You'll find something like *

0009 BD0E

0009 C052

0009 C384

0009 C694

0009 C98E

0009 CCBA

0009 CFE4

0009 D326

each value points to the starting position of a team's data.. just reorder them. put the teams you don't want at the end.

*i don't know what ROM you're basing off of, so these pointers are different than what is in your ROM.

Edited by smozoma

Guest ibleedblue

you need to find and rearrange the team "pointers" (addresses). that way you don't need to rearrange the team data (which is fraught with peril :P)

I think they are at hex location 0310 and are 4 bytes / 8 characters each.

You'll find something like *

0009 BD0E

0009 C052

0009 C384

0009 C694

0009 C98E

0009 CCBA

0009 CFE4

0009 D326

each value points to the starting position of a team's data.. just reorder them. put the teams you don't want at the end.

*i don't know what ROM you're basing off of, so these pointers are different than what is in your ROM.

Thanks!! I'm definitely getting closer. I successfully swapped Philly and Ottawa. One thing I noted, though, was that while the positions swapped correctly, I still had the Ottawa banner. Is there a similar pointer that directs which banner to call?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Thanks!! I'm definitely getting closer. I successfully swapped Philly and Ottawa. One thing I noted, though, was that while the positions swapped correctly, I still had the Ottawa banner. Is there a similar pointer that directs which banner to call?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

If there are pointers to the graphics, I don't know where they are. You could probably rearrange the graphics in the file, though.

You'll need to use Tile Molester ("TM") to find the graphics and somehow rearrange them (either in TM, or by just noting the offsets of the graphics and rearranging the bytes in a hex editor).

I don't know where the banners are, though. Maybe someone else does.

Here is a post explaining how to run TM (it's not an EXE): http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=11695&view=findpost&p=90044

Here is a post with a ZIP attachment that contains some pictures that should give you an idea of how to use TM: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=2977

Yeh, the best way to do it is to order your teams in NOSE then move your banners in TLP or TM. The banners are easy to see when you look through the .bin file (probably try TLP first as it is a bit more user friendly if your still stuck). Then as Smoz said find the correct offset by scrolling through until they line up properly. Then basically just copy + paste what banners you need to move. Then everything should match up when you run the rom.

Guest ibleedblue

I have all the teams set properly. That worked great. The banners are still problematic. I've gone through the .bin file and can't make out the banners. Can it be done not using the 30 team rom? Or is that the only way to do it? I've been working from the original NHLPA93 rom and I just don't see the banners.

Thanks again for the help. I'm inching closer.

I have all the teams set properly. That worked great. The banners are still problematic. I've gone through the .bin file and can't make out the banners. Can it be done not using the 30 team rom? Or is that the only way to do it? I've been working from the original NHLPA93 rom and I just don't see the banners.

Thanks again for the help. I'm inching closer.

I don't think it can be done with the original ROM, as the graphics are probably compressed, so you can't see them in tile molester.

Any help on why I move a banner that has orange in it (Long Island, Edmonton, Philly) that it sets to transparent (light blue background)?

Must be a palette issue... if you move the logo, the palette probably doesn't go with it. Unfortunately I don't know where they are. Are there a few bytes of 'garbage' data between each logo? For the player portraits, those are palettes, and if you are swapping portraits, you need to swap the palettes, too.