NHL'94 Forums

Editor v0.8.1

statto

Statto's editor, and NOSE as well, are programmed in Visual Basic 6. It's an easy and fun language to learn. The only problem is microsoft no longer sells/distributes VB6. So you could download VB6 from a torrent site and spend some time to learn it, or you could download the newer (and free) Visual Basic 2010 Express (or C# 2010 Express) and learn it. It's not as straight-forward as the old VB6, though.

Alternatively, learn the Python programming language, which is another fun language, but the GUI (user interface) design isn't drag-and-drop like VB, so there's some extra over-head there.

All of these are free, it just takes time to learn, and you don't need to be a super genius to do it, you just need to keep plugging away and making progress. Once you get into it and start making progress, it's very fun and rewarding, addictive even.

(in contrast, languages like C++ and Java are less fun because they have more overhead, you have to be more deliberate and careful while programming, while with VB and Python, there are fewer rules to be aware of).

I unfortunately just don't have the time to do this. I work two jobs... Wish I could. And want to make an updated 2013 roster.

Anyone who knows the code knows how much time it would take to implement it into his already existing program? Or make a different program with just the player attribute editor, as well as the overall rating add on?

I'll pay $$

If/Once statto gives us access to the source code, adding the Overall will be very easy for someone who's done VB programming before, and not terribly hard for someone who hasn't.

I spoke to him on here. He says he really has no interest in doing it at all.

I don't have the time to learn this, I have two jobs, and am extremely busy.

If someone can do it, I have the time to make an updated roster. That's what I want to invest my time in. But I'm not going to learn some code for a one time thing, especially if there are other people on here who know how to, and can potentially do it in a mere minutes.

Even an hour. It's no time for someone else, it'd probably be half a day for me.

I thought you could decompile the program?

Or could you make a stand alone program that just shows a player's average rating? A third party add-on? ANYTHING. AHHH ANYTHIIIIIIINGGGG

Edited by Stefan

Download the player list from the bottom of the Blitz downloads page.

Go to the second page, "Formulas," and change the black numbers to be the same as the greyed-out default numbers beside them.

I think, but I'm not sure, that the player rating in SNES 94 is probably the same as in Gens 94. You just need to translate to the 0-6 scale. So 85 is a 5 probably.. etc...

You won't want to write out all the players, of course, but you could make some template players, like all 4s, all 5s, etc.

Well. I don't understand these stats. They aren't the same as the snes one.

I know the numbers are different, I actually mean the fields for where their point distribution is.

At any rate, how long do you think it would take you to program what I'm looking for? I'll pay you.

At the moment, I'm just not interested in spending the time on it, sorry.

Hackers are generally only very weakly motivated by conventional rewards such as social approval or money.

They tend to be attracted by challenges and excited by interesting toys, and to judge the interest of work or other

activities in terms of the challenges offered and the toys they get to play with.

-- A Portrait of J. Random Hacker - Personality Characteristics

what he means is, "SNES sucks."

you were a huge help with the defense always on hack, Smozzy. thanks for playing the hero on that one! here's to the next time you feel motivated to help our side!

• 1 year later...

component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

I'm trying to get this going on a Windows 7 Starter Pack craptop. I put all of the files in system32 and I don't know what else to do.

seems to be running now. I used right click and ran as admin.

Edited by trudatman

• 2 months later...

component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

I'm trying to get this going on a Windows 7 Starter Pack craptop. I put all of the files in system32 and I don't know what else to do.

seems to be running now. I used right click and ran as admin.

I had the same problem - this helped me: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/component-comdlg32ocx-or-one-of-its-dependencies/0b1d6e17-e39c-4b00-920d-80e38df598e0

• 3 weeks later...

Great editor, thanks for it statto!

I have done some research with it and here are the outcoming data:

Useful info:

1. Goalkeepers

1. ENDurance is not endurance for goalkeepers (goalies' endurance is completely missing in the game), it is STICK RIGHT. You can check it yourself by changing this value in editor to 100 and then check STICK RIGHT skill in the game. So keep this in mind when editing goalkeepers skills.

2. All goalies have Stick Handling, Checking and Shot Accuracy set to 25, these skills are completely missing in the game and when changed to higher values the game works with no problem and goalkeepers overall ratings are not affected.

3. Offensive Awareness - again not listed in the game and does not affect overall rating* but originally it is set to higher values than 25. Some goalies are rated 100 (Belfour, Joseph, Potvin), some 85 (Fuhr, Hasek, Blue, Vanbiesbrouck, Stauber, Barrasso, Soderstrom, Essensa, Whitmore), rest 65 or less.

*Does not affect overall rating when it is set to 100 separately, it might affect overall rating when it is set to higher value with other skills, read the paragraph 3. Goalkeepers overall rating for more (confusing) information.

Not very useful info:

2. Players' overall rating

Aggression and ?????? (or weight or L/R) have no influence on overall rating (when set to higher values separately, read paragraph 3).

?????? is passing-shooting bias probably, I read it somewhere on this forum and after playing couple of matches against teams with all players set this skill to 25 and then couple of matches against teams with all players set to 100 I can confirm that. Btw, the higher this ?????? value is, the more difficult the the game is, you have less time to steal the puck.

Rest of the skills can be divided into four groups:

1. Endurance, Passing Accuracy and Shooting Power - affect overall rating very little

2. Shooting Accuracy - affects overall rating little

3. Agility, Defensive Awareness and Checking - affect overall rating much

4. Speed, Offensive Awareness and Stick Handling - affect overall rating very much

I did following tests with defensemen and forwards in two different lines (always for two defensemen and two forwards, third forward was unchanged) at least three times for each skill to get statiscally most accurate results.

First I set up all the skills to 25. All players in the game had overall rating 25 after that. Other skills were 25 or higher, depended on hot/cold streaks/randomness, overall rating was always 25, never higher.

Then I set one (only one) of the skills to 100 to see what happened with the overall rating.

1. After changing endurance or passing accuracy or shooting power to 100, overall rating was 2-3 points higher (27-28).

2. After changing shooting accuracy to 100, overall went 4-6 points higher (29-31).

3. 100 in agility or in def awareness or in checking made overall rating 6-7 (31-32) points higher, rarely 5 (30).

4. 100 in speed or in off awareness or in stick handling - overall was 6-9 points higher (31-34), rarely 10 points higher (35).

When I set up two skills from group 4 to 100, overall rating went up by 16 to 20 points (8-10 pts per skill) to 41-45 , when I set up three skills from that group to 100, overall rating went up by 24-40 points (8-10 pts per skill) to 49-65.

Then I did the same procedure with all skills set to 55. Overall rating varied from 58-62. There is a slight progression, compare overall rating when all values are set to 25.

1. END or PAS ACC or SHO POW set to 100; overall rating = 7-8 points, rarely 9, higher than 55 = 62-63 (64)

Two skills set to 100 = adds 3-4 pts more to overall rating (62 to 64 + 3 to 4)

Three skills set to 100 = adds 3-4 pts more to overall rating (62 to 64 + 3 to 4)+3 to 4

I hope you are not lost here :-D In words, when more than one skill from this group is set to 100 the overall rating is only 3 to 4 pts higher, there is a degression.

2. SHO ACC set to 100; overall rating = 10-11 points higher than 55 = 65-66

3. AGI or DEF AWA or CHE set to 100; overall rating = 11-13 pts higher than 55 = 66-68

4. SPE or OFF AWA or STI HAN set to 100; overall rating = 14-15 pts higher than 55 = 69-70

Two skills set to 100 = adds 8-9 pts more to overall rating (69 to 70 + 8 to 9)

Three skills set to 100 = adds 8-9 pts more to overall rating (69 to 70 + 8 to 9)+8 to 9

When all skills are set to 65, overall rating is 77-82, when all skills are set to 85, overall rating is 100.

3. Goalkeepers overall rating

This was much easier than players ratings but it is much more confusing.

When all these skills -

STICK RIGHT (ENDURANCE in the editor), STICK LEFT, GLOVE RIGHT, GLOVE LEFT, SPEED, AGILITY, DEF AWARENESS, OFF AWARENESS, PUCK CONTROL

are set to 25, overall is 25.

When any of these skills (group 1)

STICK RIGHT (ENDURANCE in the editor), STICK LEFT, GLOVE RIGHT, GLOVE LEFT, SPEED, AGILITY

is set separately to 100, overall rating is still 25. It looks like they do not affect overall rating but its not true.

When any of these skills (group 2)

AGILITY, DEFENSIVE AWARENESS, PUCK CONTROL

is set separately to 100, overall goes to 38 to 40. When two of them are set to 100, overall goes to 51 to 55. When all of them are set to 100, overall goes to 74 to 80.

The skills from the first group do not affect overall rating separately but they definitely affect overall rating when more of them are changed from 25 to higher values because goalkeepers can be valued more than just 80 points which is maximum when all three skills from group 2 are set to 100.

All skils set to 55 --> overall is 50-55

All skills set to 65 --> overall is 65-70

All skills set to 85 --> overall is 85-9x

Resume:

No overall formula found.

NHL 94 calculates overall formula in a mathematically perverted way.

I completely wasted one afternoon :lol:

More info in my next post.

• Love 1

Open source is great. There were some things I would have liked to add to NOSE...

We have the overall rating scheme for Genesis, and I'm guessing on SNES it's pretty much the same. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out, anyway.

If I only read this before I started with the nonsense described above :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never mind.

+If you want to get free bytes for adding more players on the team, you can get them by using initials. For instance B._Ranford instead of Bill Ranford and so on. The game works, no freezing or crashing during the game, in the menus, anywhere, its 100% perfect. When you use only one word in players names (Vanbiesbrouck), the game freezes.

+When adding GK on the team, he will get the portrait of the player who is originally as first non goalie player on the team.

Originally:

Vernon Vernon's portrait

Suter Suter's portrait

MacInnis MacInnis' portrait

Roberts Robert's portrait

After adding a goalie:

Vernon Vernon's portrait

NewGoalie Suter's portrait

Suter MacInnis' portrait

MacInnis Robert's portrait

Roberts Nieuwendyk's portrait

Do not add goalkeepers on the team if you want to avoid this and do not know how to change the players portraits.

+The starting goalie is always the goalie who is the first player on the team's roseter, no matter who is set as a number 1 goalie in Lines editor.

+Do not add players on the team if you really do not plan to add anyone. After removing a player there will be one more player in Players cards with no name (just number and empty space or semi-colon). This player is not on the roster and the game doesnt crash or freeze when you get to him when checking players cards. But it looks weird so do not remove players if you have no serious reason for that. This cant be solved by adding a player after removing, this no name player's card will be there always when you remove a player in the editor.

+There can be only one line in the playoffs. No need to fill all the lines with same play off setups.

+When the playoffs are set like this in the editor

1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8

the playoffs in the game goes like this

Team 8 is in all conference matches as a home team (Playoff mode) or has home advantage in games 1, 2, 5 and 7 (Best of 7), team 1 is always playing away (Playoff mode) or is an away team in games 1, 2, 5 and 7 (Best of 7).

There is no reseeding when the round is finished. Just like in Olympics or World Championships. Winner of the 7-8 match will always be playing against winner of the 5-6 match in the next round.

Edited by DominikJagr

there can be many different playoff setups.

Download the player list from the bottom of the Blitz downloads page.

Go to the second page, "Formulas," and change the black numbers to be the same as the greyed-out default numbers beside them.

I think, but I'm not sure, that the player rating in SNES 94 is probably the same as in Gens 94. You just need to translate to the 0-6 scale. So 85 is a 5 probably.. etc...

You won't want to write out all the players, of course, but you could make some template players, like all 4s, all 5s, etc.

I found the thread and the Gens formula is different to my research I think. Question is if my research is not a complete BS biggrin.png

there can be many different playoff setups.

Yes, of course. Its my language mistake :-)

"There can be only one line in the playoffs" should be there I think.

There can be 32 playoffs setups (not sure now), but when only one is filled, it works.

• 2 months later...

I have a "ghost" player problem from using the editor.

I think I added a player on Anaheim but then removed him when I was learning how to use the editor. Now there is a player with no name that shows up on Anaheim's roster as #11. It doesn't seem to cause trouble in the game BUT the worst part is I get a runtime error in the editor if I go to edit lines for Anaheim and click on 'CHK' line.

Anyone know if I can get rid of this "ghost" player somehow? It's annoying I can't get him off the opening lineup and I don't want to sacrifice this ROM I'm working on........

add the player back, go to edit lines, make sure he isn't used, remove him again.

It doesn't seem to work because it is Anaheim and I am limited on player numbers.

When I click "Add Player" I think it added a "ghost player" but I cannot see the player or anything. I still have 2 G, 9 F and 6 D. It won't let me add a player.

But then I go to edit lines and go to "CHK" line and I can see there is a defenseman missing, it crashes the editor.

Runtime error 380

Invalid property value

I hope I can fix this, I've made updates to several other things and don't want to lose them.

shorten some names to free up the space to add more players. then try it again.