NHL'94 Forums

Wireless players disrepsect the game

Guest Wags13

Guest Wags13

Smoz did you test in relation to how close you were to the router? That is a big aspect as well.. if your router is on the second floor of your house but you are in the basement then its going to have an impact..

Smoz did you test in relation to how close you were to the router? That is a big aspect as well.. if your router is on the second floor of your house but you are in the basement then its going to have an impact..

In the 'ideal case' experiment, when I was upstairs, nothing much happened: ping increased from 33ms to 34ms (+1ms) and jitter increased from 5.67 to 7.33ms (+1.67ms).

For the second case (someone else watching youtube), the results were bad enough on the same floor, so I didn't bother going upstairs.

smoz, thank you.

proves that wireless isnt a HUGE deal if done properly under perfect circumstances (witch i doubt ALL wireless players play under perfect conditions). so all players should probably wire up just out of respect for other players and be on the safer side.

when people play wireless it makes me crazy. i dont care about this stupid raido waves as fast as light crap, its just common courtesy. if almost all players plug in to play and you dont, yer an ass.

i agree , any person i have played on wireless it has a slight chop that throws off the game

Edited by hokkeefan

Couple of questions smoz about your tests:

1. What is your internet package? (provider, estimated up/down speeds)

2. When you did the both computers wired youtube test, did you watch the same video you did in the previous tests? It's possible the video had been cached on the machines and therefore wasn't downloading any or as much information as in the previous tests.

Couple of questions smoz about your tests:

1. What is your internet package? (provider, estimated up/down speeds)

2. When you did the both computers wired youtube test, did you watch the same video you did in the previous tests? It's possible the video had been cached on the machines and therefore wasn't downloading any or as much information as in the previous tests.

Rogers, 1mbyte/sec download, 50kbyte/sec upload (8mbit/0.4mbit). I don't have rogers cable TV, so if watching cable TV affects the connection, it won't for me. I regularly get the full speeds downloading and uploading. It's not a cheapo connection, but that's a good question, because I've known people with cheap rogers connections where 2 people online just checking their email and going to static webpages killed the connection (in 2004..).

I refreshed the video page each time i started testing a new configuration, and the video started downloading from the start again.

I actually didn't do the "both wired" test last in the 2 computer experiment, I did it 3rd, and then did wired desktop + wireless laptop last, which went back to having a bad ping+jitter result. I reordered the results because it made more sense to put Both Wireless at the start and Both Wired at the end.

Everyone is free to try this sort of test out on their own network to see what happens... different hardware will give different results. I'd be interested in seeing what older or cheaper routers do.

864964281.png

Also, maybe people should do the Ping Test before starting a game, to make sure their connection is ok.

www.PingTest.Net

19673165.png (wireless result)

Edited by smozoma

Wireless connection.

whoa fast

but don't forget to check pingtest.net, too, to make sure you aren't dropping packets. any connection will have the bandwidth to play on, but it's the ping/jitter/lossage that matters.

Yea, roger's is ass (but there isn't really anything else in Canada is there?). I'm not sure if it's the wireless that caused that lagspike or you're upload bandwidth (which is VERY low). Do multiple tests using wired/wireless wireless/wireless wired/wired scheme, because the wireless/wired with the lag before may have been coincidence that one of your PCs was fetching an update or doing some sort of other minor upload.

From my experiences the #1 cause of lag is not enough upload bandwidth. For example, torrents don't make you lag because they are downloading so much information, it's because they are uploading so much information.

Edit: just adding my ping/bandwidth test. Both under ideal conditions; I'm the only one doing anything on the network. I have work soon I'll try more tests later in the evening, this way we can have a low-upload bandwidth test (smoz's) and a high upload bandwidth test.

bandwidth1.png

ping1.png

Edited by crackawhat