NHL'94 Forums

Having wireless lag?

shaftman

message for players on wireless:

Windows XP or 7 users using 802.11g or n: You should not experience lag because of your wireless connection, so long as your signal strength is 30% or greater. If it is lower move closer to your router, or get your hand on a directional antenna. Also make sure you have a unique SSID for your connection, and ensure it is WPA or WPA-2 protected. If you are on a 802.11b wireless router, it's time to upgrade.

Windows Vista wireless users: Windows Vista contains a "feature" where it scans for new access points every 60 seconds; this causes a huuuuge lag spike. The easiest work around for this is a program called Vista Anti-Lag. I don't know the rules on posting 3rd party programs on this site so I won't post a link, but if you are interested you can google it. Just run the program, select it in the system tray, and select "activate." Always make sure it is activated before you play, because I think it resets if you're computer goes to sleep.

I play SSB64 on PJ64k w/ "excellent" connection continuously for 45 minutes to an hour before a desync occurs (and even then it's against my buddy who is on crappy college internet, so it could be him desyncing).

Radio waves travel at the speed of light which is the same speed electricity travels at. Pinging my router with 32 bytes per packet from my wireless connection, I get no latency higher than 3ms (most are 1 or <1 ms) round trip time. I sent 93 packets and received 93 packets; 0 packet loss. Pinging from a wired connection usually yields all 1 ms or <1 ms with 0 packet loss. That means a wireless connection adds a (in my case) MAXIMUM 3ms of lag to the connection. This is not enough to make a significant difference in online gaming. Now a problem with wireless gaming is IF there is packet loss there will be desyncs and lag. If people follow my directions then it will have a positive impact on wireless users playing NHL94.