NHL'94 Forums

HOWTO: Edit the game credits

smozoma

The credits roll at the bottom of the main splash screen.

Credits are arranged into lines, and pages. The credits roll up, line by line, until a page end is reached, then it pauses for a second or so before going onto subsequent lines. Typically you arrange the credits into groups of up to 4 lines (since 4 lines can be displayed at once), but I guess you could create longer pages, but they would just keep scrolling, instead of pausing to let you read them.

The credits start at offset @5776 in the ROM

The maximum width of a line is 24 displayed characters.

A line begins with hex 00xx where xx is the length of the line in hex, plus 2. For example, a line with 18 characters would be preceded with 0014 (since 18dec = 12hex, and add 2 to get 14hex).

A line must be an even number of characters. If your line has an odd number of characters, then add a 00 byte on the end. It will display as a space.

A 'page' is ended with hex 0004FF00. This creates a pause in the scrolling for a second or so.

You have to be careful when editing the credits that you don't change the size of the ROM by inserting or deleting bytes. You need to do your work in overwrite mode.

The end of the credit area is at 5B1B. The total size is 3a6. To end the credits, insert two consecutive page ends (0004ff00 0004ff00).

You can add an empty line in a page with 0002.

I have had trouble editing the first page (the EA copyright notice), so if you're having problems, leave that one alone.

Eventually I'll get EARE to do this.

• Thanks 2