NHL'94 Forums

Anyone else think this game is harder than '94?

PaulCoffey77

The goalies in '93 aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, making the deke a pretty easy way to score. But if I'm playing the CPU, and they start clogging the defensive zone, my slap shots are always stopped by the goalie.

Because of this, in my playoff with the Penguins, I took the Capitals to 7 games in the second round despite having a 2-0 lead on them, because in games 3-5 they clogged my 'sweet spot' for the deke the whole game and I almost lost.

In '94, as well as the original NHL Hockey, I just sweep everyone. This is the only one of the three I actually lose games on against the CPU.

• 1 year later...

I think '93 is definitely easier. I've played a little '94 and could score in bunches here and there, but not with any consistency. For me the deke is the only way to go in '93, and it's about playing a style that leads to more breakaways. You just have to allow the opposing forwards deep in your zone, stay between them and the goal, knock the puck away or allow a bad angle shot and get the rebound, then make a quick pass up to a wing. Then even in a 1 on 2 it isn't hard to weave around the defense while they scramble back to the goal. They're not good in transition, no matter who they are. When you catch them on their heels it's like they're not even there, and you're approaching the goal as if you have a clean breakaway.

I've found a physical center is useful on defense and checking the opp center on faceoffs (sometimes he'll knock the other center down even after grabbing the puck himself). Sometimes he'll get clean through off the faceoff and score a quick goal.

It is kind of tough to score on any kind of set play in the zone. Any time I score with a slap shot it feels like I got lucky, and I always give the puck away on centering passes. Although there are some techniques in the scoring guide here I haven't mastered yet. Maybe you have to know the opp goalie's weaknesses and aim for them, and know the sweet spots on the ice to shoot from. I just take whatever shot I can get without wasting much time, and I'm already heading back to my zone to wait on the rush. Trying to cut them off at center ice is risky without much reward. When you do steal the puck they still have 3 guys set waiting for you, and you're stuck again without much to do.

I used to play '93 a ton and just recently picked it up again. I went through the playoffs with the Lightning (line changes off) and went 16-0 with only one game going into overtime. Semenov is actually pretty good and almost scored at will haha. It really just takes that one guy, and quick transitions from defense to offense and you'll be able to run up the score with any team.

• 1 month later...