NHL'94 Forums

Controller suggestions

Glad to see poeple using the old school controllers with a simple adapter.

been using the controller i used 10 years ago (man they can really take abuse!)

I think halifax showed me the way onto that?

anyways it rocks.

gl hf 134340

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
Guest Wags13

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDet...roduct_id=76274

Had controller issues, and bought a upgraded (had the two joystick things added) Logitech controller to replace my old Logitech Precision.. big mistake. I couldn't move diagonally, which in nhl94 is imperative, so I went out yesterday and replaced that with the above.. $10 good as new.. I suggest this for anyone looking for a new, responsive, and cheap controller..

with my logitech controller, i need to press the 'digital' button to get the D pad to work properly... so the other controller you bought might have been good except that some button needed to be pressed each time you plug in the controller

but for 10$, can't go wrong with the one you suggest!

My Logitech worked fine both with the d-pad and the analog sticks, but the USB connection stopped working, so I'm relying on my PS2 controller with a USB converter.

Edited by RedWingDevil

Guest Wags13
with my logitech controller, i need to press the 'digital' button to get the D pad to work properly... so the other controller you bought might have been good except that some button needed to be pressed each time you plug in the controller

but for 10$, can't go wrong with the one you suggest!

Yeah mine had a "mode" button that toggled between the D pad and the analog sticks.. but for some reason the D pad never let you go in a diagonal direction - up or down..it was very had to play straight up, down, across, and down with players and goalie and I lost a 91 game pretty handily as a result.

Yeah mine had a "mode" button that toggled between the D pad and the analog sticks.. but for some reason the D pad never let you go in a diagonal direction - up or down..it was very had to play straight up, down, across, and down with players and goalie and I lost a 91 game pretty handily as a result.

I also have that problem with my Logitech controller did you ever find a way to fix it?

Guest Wags13
I also have that problem with my Logitech controller did you ever find a way to fix it?

Nope bought the new one I listed in my original post.. ironically that controller was half the cost of the one I replaced it with :o

Nope bought the new one I listed in my original post.. ironically that controller was half the cost of the one I replaced it with :o

Yeah I noticed Haha.

• 8 months later...

Since people have been having trouble getting controllers working lately, I'm making this thread.

If you have a controller you like, please post a link to it on amazon/newegg/whatever or the company's website, so people know the name and/or where to get it.

Installation instructions are appreciated (did you need to install drivers, or did Windows (or whatever OS you're on) install it automatically?)

My controller has been discontinued, so I don't have anything to post..

Saturn USB controllers on ebay : Saturn USB controller. Pretty cheap, don't know how well they last.

I personally use a SNES to USB adapter from RetroUSB.com - RetroUSB. They also have a Genesis to USB adapter. $18. Find a cheap Genesis controller or SNES controller on ebay if you want. They also have a SNES USB controller for $38 (a little too pricey for me).

If you have an SNES controller laying around, have an old PC with a parallel port, and some soldering ability, you can make a SNES to parallel port adapter. SNES to parallel port. Or, I can send you my SNES to parallel port adapter for the price of shipping.

yea i use the retro usb sega converter(link), with a original sega 6 button controller(link).

these controllers are super durable, ive only gone through 2 in over 2 years and ive put them through alot. the controllers are super cheap on amazon and i feel you get the best control over any gamepad or the keyboard, i strongly recommend using the original 6 button controller.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826127208&nm_mc=Criteo&cm_mmc=BAC-Criteo-_-PC+Gaming+Accessories+(Joystick+-+Game+Pad+-+etc.)-_-Logitech-_-26127208 - Logitech Precision Gamepad 2

pretty cheap, last anywhere from 4-6 months to a year depending on your useage etc.

• 4 weeks later...

yea i use the retro usb sega converter(link), with a original sega 6 button controller(link).

these controllers are super durable, ive only gone through 2 in over 2 years and ive put them through alot. the controllers are super cheap on amazon and i feel you get the best control over any gamepad or the keyboard, i strongly recommend using the original 6 button controller.

Well, I switched to that controller and used it for awhile '06-'09 playing the tourneys at my house. But I went back to the original, original controller. The bigger bulky one. I personally feel a smoother difference. But you lose the turbo option.

• 2 weeks later...

I got that retrousb in the mail today. I was reading about it and decided to go with it like Donny said and use the sega contollers. Since the sega controllers are pretty durable I also figured it would be easier to replace them than purchase a sega controller with a usb attachment already on it. Now, I also can use it for my genesis. Let me say, it is worth every penny. I was a little apprehensive at first, I worried about reaction time and stuff, but it's right on the money. Instant repsonse. The only issue I have is with my old controller, not the usb link. The other neat thing about it is, once you redefine keys after you plug it in your computer, you can disconnect and reconnect a different sega controller at any time, without having to redefine keys for every different sega controller. I tested all four I have off that 4 way link I use in the genesis.

I highly suggest getting one instead of a controller. Like the one guy said, this is how the game is meant to be played. But what do I know.

415KJiiZaNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

only $10. you can get em on amazon, but i get mine at gamestop.

http://www.amazon.com/PC-Mac-1G-Game-Controller/dp/tech-data/B00365EA16

does the job pretty well.

ugh is that a steel series? mine blew, was either outstanding directional control or flat spots.

there! figured it out

save as PNG or JPG, not BMP. BMP is not compressed.

PNG is great for screenshots from your computer, and JPG is great for photographs from your camera. They'll be 10s-100s of times smaller in file size.

Resizing the image to get the file size down is good, too (no point having an 8 megapixel picture on a 2 megapixel screen), but I'd aim for something like a height of between 1000-2000 (since a high def monitor these days is 1080 high)

Plus PNG and JPG files will get a preview picture on the forum :)

post-253-051557300 1300043585_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

2 Things:

This is the real 6 button controller. I love these to death over the ones with the Turbo switch. My play is way better with `em.

The retrolink Saturn controllers listed above are the cheap imitations. They suck and fall apart fast. If you can find a Sega branded Saturn USB controller, go for it. But they were discontinued in 2004-5 and are real pricey now. Still its my absolute favorite pad for any game that I need trigger buttons for. If it doesn't say Sega, or if it says Retrolink, don't buy it and thank me for saving you $20

and then HABS admits he uses the keyboard to play. I think he is really a BOT designed to baffle.

Logitechs are notoriously crappy. often the analog sticks won't go all the way forward (imagine running at 86% maximum in a first-person shooter) or the digital pads have diagonal troubles, but the blue "dual action" one I have is somehow functional (enough). getting brand name Super Nintendo (or PlayStaion) controllers adapted for the computer is a great option, if you can swing it. there's nothing quite as good as a sturdy SNES gamepad.

how the fluck can someone play this game on a keyboard and be good is beyond me. I can't understand it. I always thought right away you had a disadvantage compared to a controller. I guess I was wrong.

how the fluck can someone play this game on a keyboard and be good is beyond me. I can't understand it. I always thought right away you had a disadvantage compared to a controller. I guess I was wrong.

yeah, I can't play on a keyboard, but I think if you get good at it, it can be an advantage since you have a better understanding of the angles of the game, how exactly the D-pad affects the player. Habs's deke is amazing (one of the reasons he's so good at 2on2), and I think it's due to the keyboard.

OK, i'm using the "Genius Basic Gamepad". It says it's designed to fighting games, but what I like about it is it's got a directional pad very similar to the original genesis pads, but also the buttons are configured in a straight line, rather than the usual diamond on PC pads.

Not sure if an advanced user would go with this but i've certainly been quite happy, finding the direction control to be excellent and the button configuration perfect. It's also pretty sturdy and has stood up to the season & a shed load of exhibitions extremely well.

It's dirt cheap, so you may want to try it & if you decide it's not for you it's cost you next to nothing!

http://www.geniusnet.com/wSite/ct?xItem=16775&ctNode=163&mp=1

f1284452687196.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I'm looking to connect 2 original Genesis controllers to my PC ( Laptop running on XP ) via USB.. Emulating NHL94 with GENS.

Will 2 of these adapters do the trick? :

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/New-USB-2-0-TO-RS232-SERIAL-DB9-9-PIN-ADAPTER-CABLE-US-/270607848335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f017c138f

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks.

Hey guys, I'm looking to connect 2 original Genesis controllers to my PC ( Laptop running on XP ) via USB.. Emulating NHL94 with GENS.

Will 2 of these adapters do the trick? :

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/New-USB-2-0-TO-RS232-SERIAL-DB9-9-PIN-ADAPTER-CABLE-US-/270607848335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f017c138f

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks.

Yeah, that should work. DB9 (genesis controller interface) to USB adapter. That's what I use now.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=69

Edited by kingraph