NHL'94 Forums

Controller suggestions

Yeah, that should work. DB9 (genesis controller interface) to USB adapter. That's what I use now.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=69

Is there a difference between yours and those?

There's a bit of a difference in price.. Do the retroports include the controller as well?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a difference between yours and those?

There's a bit of a difference in price.. Do the retroports include the controller as well?

As far as I can tell, they should be the same. I don't know enough about electronics to know if there's a difference in actual quality, but from what I do understand, this will work fine.

No controller, just the cable at retroport. I think the difference in price is marketing. Google "Genesis USB Controller" and see what comes up first. B) That's what I did, and saw recommended here. I think once you find out that the Genesis controller uses a "DB9" connector, all you need is a DB9 to USB adapter. Google that and you'll find cheaper prices. Go on eBay and it's even cheaper! (note: on retrozone they never mention DB9 to USB)

As far as I can tell, they should be the same. I don't know enough about electronics to know if there's a difference in actual quality, but from what I do understand, this will work fine.

No controller, just the cable at retroport. I think the difference in price is marketing. Google "Genesis USB Controller" and see what comes up first. B) That's what I did, and saw recommended here. I think once you find out that the Genesis controller uses a "DB9" connector, all you need is a DB9 to USB adapter. Google that and you'll find cheaper prices. Go on eBay and it's even cheaper! (note: on retrozone they never mention DB9 to USB)

I just ordered 2 cheap ones just to try it out. I figured I could sacrifice 3,21$ for the good of humanity.

I'll post again when I find out if it works or not.

• 4 weeks later...

:huh:

I received the adapters and they get detected. But I can't actually get it to detect the actual controllers.

Unless I'm doing something wrong or missing something.

Ugh, that sucks dude. I'm really sorry I gave you the wrong info on this. I have no idea why the controller doesn't register with the adapter, but the adapter registers on the computer. Maybe contact the seller with quick note -- he/she may be able to shed some light on this.

Ugh, that sucks dude. I'm really sorry I gave you the wrong info on this. I have no idea why the controller doesn't register with the adapter, but the adapter registers on the computer. Maybe contact the seller with quick note -- he/she may be able to shed some light on this.

Hey you got nothing to do with this! It cost me 3$ to try something.. Not a big deal.

So it seems the USB connector and DB9 port really need something in-between to translate for each other after all.

Edited by polyartseyev

• 6 months later...

do not waste ur money on usb ready $5 sega 6-button lookin controllers like this:

sat_ctr_usb_Rlink_silver_1.jpg

iv had 3 different kinds of these cheap usb conts and they all broke within 10 days. so buy an adapter if you like the sega style

if ur looking for a good sega six button style, the mk-1470 lasted me a good 12 weeks+, b4 the d-pad wore off:

KGr_Hq_RHJFc_E918_FI6o_IBPd8l_RQ8_Vw_60_57.jpg

a nice cheap reproduction is this retro-bit:

gen_ctr_6button_Rbit.jpg

this cheap tomee has a soft dpad and feels more flimsy then the retro-bit. i dont like it:

41_Y96qe4j_LL_SL500_AA300.jpg

this rhino 6 button was cool, but the a & b button both broke in a couple days so i cant recommend this either:

2b_1_b.jpg

tips & notes:

-always have a back up cont. they break!

-dont buy cheap usb ready sega style cunts

-most sega 6-button conts are small

-dont be scared to gamble $10 on a cont; even if its used

are Genesis controllers hard to make/maintain or something? I've had half of my very few break even though they were Sega brand and barely used. I've had about fifty controllers for other systems and only about 10% end up needing to be replaced. it seems like Genesis controllers fail more than others. does that seem about right with y'all?

OK, i'm using the "Genius Basic Gamepad". It says it's designed to fighting games, but what I like about it is it's got a directional pad very similar to the original genesis pads, but also the buttons are configured in a straight line, rather than the usual diamond on PC pads.

http://www.geniusnet.com/wSite/ct?xItem=16775&ctNode=163&mp=1

f1284452687196.jpg

I'm giving a bump to this post. I posted this exactly a year & a day ago. This pad has been awesome for me. It has seen me through some huge advancements in my game & is still going strong a year, and probably thousands of exhibs on.

It started out pretty tight and clunky, but a couple of months in loosened up & is really responsive.

I reckon it's the closest thing u'll find to the original pad without buying one on ebay, & with the handles it sits really nicely compared to the original genesis pads. Unbelievably cheap too.

The past few weeks its started to develop a bit of button stick so I think I need to be brave enough to open it up & clean it, since the place I got it doesn't stock them anymore. This is the only pad i'd use for 94 now, unless I take a vacation in the US in the future & get the chance to grab an original 6 button with adapter.

are Genesis controllers hard to make/maintain or something? I've had half of my very few break even though they were Sega brand and barely used. I've had about fifty controllers for other systems and only about 10% end up needing to be replaced. it seems like Genesis controllers fail more than others. does that seem about right with y'all?

No. But it seems like something else you can sling at the Genesis & see if it sticks!

do not waste ur money on usb ready $5 sega 6-button lookin controllers like this:

sat_ctr_usb_Rlink_silver_1.jpg

iv had 3 different kinds of these cheap usb conts and they all broke within 10 days. so buy an adapter if you like the sega style

if ur looking for a good sega six button style, the mk-1470 lasted me a good 12 weeks+, b4 the d-pad wore off:

KGr_Hq_RHJFc_E918_FI6o_IBPd8l_RQ8_Vw_60_57.jpg

a nice cheap reproduction is this retro-bit:

gen_ctr_6button_Rbit.jpg

this cheap tomee has a soft dpad and feels more flimsy then the retro-bit. i dont like it:

41_Y96qe4j_LL_SL500_AA300.jpg

this rhino 6 button was cool, but the a & b button both broke in a couple days so i cant recommend this either:

2b_1_b.jpg

tips & notes:

-always have a back up cont. they break!

-dont buy cheap usb ready sega style cunts

-most sega 6-button conts are small

-dont be scared to gamble $10 on a cont; even if its used

He's the authority on this subject, he's gone thru like 30 in the last month :P

I think its just that most sega games can still be enjoyed with a broken controller , but it's gotta be flawless for good 94 play, also sega came out during the "extreme" late 80's early 90's so every controller has a bit of mountain dew residue inside causing things to stick :lol:

I think its just that most sega games can still be enjoyed with a broken controller , but it's gotta be flawless for good 94 play, also sega came out during the "extreme" late 80's early 90's so every controller has a bit of mountain dew residue inside causing things to stick :lol:

I find that the Genesis controllers are actually well built. You can take out the few screws in the back, take the controller apart, wash all the plastic parts with soap and water, clean the circuit board with a little alcohol, put it back and it's as good as new.

I've been using that 6-button original actively for almost a year now...no problems so far. I don't smash them though, lol.

• 4 months later...

A shout-out to the Americans out there.. Gamestop is clearing out these 6-button Xbox/PS3 gamepads.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-brawlpad

I bought one in Canada (for significantly more), and find it to be a great responsive gamepad, nice size and very familiar 6-button setup.

They're not available online, but every store seems to have a couple left in stock (if you call ahead).

I plugged the Xbox version into the laptop and it works perfectly with Gens/NHL94.

I realize that they are uber-ugly with the WWE skins - but I plan to re-skin mine with an NHL94 theme.

PS - if someone could buy an extra unit I would gladly pay to have it shipped north.

Cheers,

Jer

are you saying these are USB and work with PCs as plug-and-plays with easy setup? what do they cost as blowout sale products?

The Xbox version is being blownout for $12.99 (the one I've got).

The Ps3 version (which may require additional 3rd party drivers) is $9.99.

..again, uglier than anything but nice enlarged 8-way d-pad and 6 big, mashable buttons.

mad-catz-official-wwe-all-stars-brawlpad.jpg

Edited by jer_33

are you saying these are USB...?

• 2 years later...

Got a joystick ? or two, so I thought I'd use this old thread.

#1 I currently use my old PS3 joysticks and just plug them into my labtop with no extra software to run it, and everything works great. I had to do something with the drivers way back when so I don't have to use the Motion software.

My question is not about feel or quality or button position, as I've been using those joystick style since like PS1 days way back yonder.

My question is if anyone knows if one joystick responds faster than the others.

I noticed that my point blank one timers result more in the puck bouncing off my guy & him shooting at air, and others seem to be able to get their one timers to go off. Wondering if maybe my joystick is slower?

#2 Does anyone program a multi combo into their game? Ie, B-C type for one timers to counter act the delay?

• 10 months later...