NHL'94 Forums

Happy 20th anniversary, Ron Tugnutt’s 70-save game vs. Bruins

smozoma

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Happy-20th-anniversary-Ron-Tugnutt-8217-s-70-s?urn=nhl-wp745

Two things we know about Ron Tugnutt: One of the greatest names in hockey history, and a member of some truly terrible hockey teams during his 16-season NHL career. Like, for example, the 1990-91 Quebec Nordiques.

The Nordiques were playing at the Boston Bruins, who were a 100-point team that season with three 90-point players. In the first period, they peppered Tugnutt with 17 shots. In the second, the number rose to 19. After he faced 25 shots in the third period, it was apparent Tugnutt was in the midst of a stellar performance between the pipes; when he turned back 12 more in overtime for 70 saves on 73 shots in the 3-3 tie, it was obvious Tugnutt had crafted a classic performance.

The article features 2 videos about the game.

You beat me too it Smozo. I saw Guy in the background and looked up when "The Flower" retired and it was 1991. Too bad he couldn't play for two more seasons to make NHL '94. 1991-1992 and 1992-1993. Some might think he would've had to play 3 more (1993-1994) but not quite, the game takes the stats from the previous year, so he could have retired in '93 and still been in the game with a 172 weight bug, 99 agility, 90 O.A., 75 D.A., 85 S.H., 60 SHOT POWER, and 0 checking. He would've gave Roenick a run for his money. How would you edit Quebec's lines then?

My favourite part of the video is seeing Craig Janney behind the net fall to his knees in disbelief after Tugnutt makes the spectacular final save.

I hope to actually see such a performance in the Playoffs. I'd totally pay to see that. This was more or less Tugnutt's highlight of his career... and possibly his 1998-99 season with the Senators.

Edited by RedWingDevil

All 70 saves (well, I counted 64..):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-oSHGmW5Cg

• 2nd-last shot in the 2nd is a wrister by (who else?) Ray Bourque off the mask.
  • Last shot in the 2nd, "Save, Tugnutt! You won't see a better one than that!" Spoken 25 minutes too soon :)
  • Good clip of Hodge(?) after getting double-stoned on a rebound, smiling, saying, "fudge!", and holding his head in his hands.
  • Right near the end, after a save, during the stoppage, there's a D standing next to Tugnutt, playing with the tape on his stick, thinking, "don't talk to the goalie.. don't want to throw him off.. don't be that guy.."