NHL'94 Forums

NO DIAL UP ALLOWED

Zalex

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should Iceguy be excluded from leagues until he upgrades from Mexicano Dial Up ?

• Yes
    • No
    • He should just play soccer games instead of 94

Wait, I'm more interested in iceguys computer setup. Do you still have to log in to AOL to access the Internet? How does the forum look in Netscape Navigator?

Iceguys PC: 486 25MHz 4MB RAM running Windows 3.11 for Workgroups and MS-DOS 5

StarTrekSpockFascinating1.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HABS

Posted Images

any other scrubs ive beaten in leagues feel free to air ur excuses here :)

excuse me for beating with you TB, your self-esteem is probly at -5 now

Wait, I'm more interested in iceguys computer setup. Do you still have to log in to AOL to access the Internet? How does the forum look in Netscape Navigator?

Iceguys PC: 486 25MHz 4MB RAM running Windows 3.11 for Workgroups and MS-DOS 5

If that's a bit of a joke, I would have never expected from you, chaos.

It's very nice to know that a few people care, as bigoted as some may be. You do your community proud.

If that's a bit of a joke, I would have never expected from you, chaos.

It's very nice to know that a few people care, as bigoted as some may be. You do your community proud.

we'd all like to know if that is your real setup thats all since you admitted to using dialup

Ha ha, that is good humor there. I'm sure some people at NBC would want all of you; SNL has been rather lacking and they could use some schmoes right there.

In all seriousness: Windows Vista, wireless connection to a Motorola network; used to have a Linksys modem for the wireless connection, but it went totally kaput. I pretty much stopped using connections with the telephone right after my 1st year in high school and have been using wireless for as long as I can remember ever since.

As per specifics, my big bro knows a whole about it than I do. And if you even ask if I could use an internet hang-out for games, I've tried. The ping is absolutely craptastic there and it would not be worth the 1-hour fare I'd use for the internet. Better chances back home than somewhere else.

No Wi-Fi on this HP laptop either. Never tried getting that one, really.

If the jokes or ethnical slurs keep going, that's it. I'm done with all of you and I'll just play the games no matter what the hell you guys have to say about it. If you want to keep bitching about it, there's the proverbial door. No one's stopping you from leaving after all.

Edited by RedWingDevil

i'll admit that i used 'tacoman' a time or two, but definitely don't think it's any different from wags calling all the french guys 'frogs'..

i'm not in favor of slurs directed toward any ethnicity, however i don't see the problem with any jokes that guys are making around here. you leave yourself wide open to them. if you want to keep bitching about how guys are treating you, there's the proverbial door. no one's stopping you from leaving, afterall.

Beavers: LoL you can gtfo too.

why? i was just saying that anybody has the option to leave whenever they want if they don't like what's going on. i am also pointing out that he shouldn't tell people to leave if they don't like playing against his poor connection.

any other scrubs ive beaten in leagues feel free to air ur excuses here :)

#1: You can outdrink me and you hurt my feelings when you do

#2: You never shut up when we play and it throws off my concentration

#3: The cats in your basement rub up against my leg

#4: You're a Russian bastard

Dudes, I'm using dial-up. And Zalex didn't even say anything during the games. Not even going for servers either!

Mystery solved... it was a typo..

I'm not using dial-up was the intention all along :mellow:

this is a waste of forum space

This thread is less a waste of space that the random thread of GA. At least here we discuss about online issues we have while playing 94.

Edited by Zalex

a lame ass retarded poll is not a discussion, ur bashing the dude.

Theres more than the Poll to the thread, I guess you just didnt read all of it.

And im not bashing the dude, im just complaining about his connection.

Maybe you're not, Zalex, but a select few couldn't possibly miss this chance.

As for the tacoman name, I call him like that cuz I like to give people nickname for fun. (I call Dcicon, dickon and he laughs at it).

But if Iceguy doesnt like his nickname, then be it. RIP TACOMAN

In all seriousness, I have never had a problem with Iceguy's connection and never heard anyone complain about it until now. He is the all-time leader in games played and don't think he could get that with a 14.4k connection (or a 56k if he has an updated modem card).

And stop with the Tacoman stuff. It's offensive to the guy. We need to keep him around, he helps out newbies, he plays his games, and some of the things he posts are good for comic relief.

Ice, why do you use wireless? Is there a reason you can't do wired? My wireless connection is good ping-wise, but sometimes I get random stutters every few min. Wired is alot more reliable.

You should go to pingtest.net and post your results here. That should shut everyone up.

Well, as I have mentioned, I actually used to have dial-up or to put it more direcly, a phone connection at my old home. Around the end of 1st year on high school we moved on for wireless because back then it was a lot better, costs less and it was part of the company's service. When we moved to our new house, my brother set up a different wireless connection with a Linksys modem he brought from work and recently the network just died and I used the Motorola one. If we had stayed at the older home, I don't know if that would have made a difference since I didn't know that much of this stuff.

On top of that, we got wireless phones too. I don't know how connecting the tele-wire will be useful since the modem went kaput since I don't know if they're related for connection.

No, no, no. You have a modem from the internet company provider. In order to get a wireless connection (Wi-fi it is called), you would need to connect a wireless router to the modem (like a Linksys router). In order to get a wired connection, the wireless router normally has connections on the back for "wired" connection (using a network cable). You would connect a cable between your PC or laptop and the wired connection on the back of the router.

Dial-up is completely different. Way slower speeds and ancient. It is a wired connection per se, but not the type we are talking about.

What is the company you use for your internet service?

Well, as I have mentioned, I actually used to have dial-up or to put it more direcly, a phone connection at my old home. Around the end of 1st year on high school we moved on for wireless because back then it was a lot better, costs less and it was part of the company's service. When we moved to our new house, my brother set up a different wireless connection with a

Linksys modem he brought from work and recently the network just died and I used the Motorola one. If we had stayed at the older home, I don't know if that would have made a difference since I didn't know that much of this stuff.

On top of that, we got wireless phones too. I don't know how connecting the tele-wire will be useful since the modem went kaput since I don't know if they're related for connection.

There's a lot of unneeded detail in there, but it sounds like you have a router + cable modem in one device (these are becoming more popular with ISPs because they are easier for the average customer). There are probably some ethernet wire ports on the back labeled 1,2,3,4 and one or two labeled LAN or WAN or Internet. If you plug an ethernet cable into one of the ports numbered 1,2,3,or 4, you will be good to go and your connection will be better for games.

In tests I did last year, I found that using a wireless connection while other people were also using wireless on the router, really degraded the connection. So wire up if you can, folks!

I'm normally on wireless, but I keep a long wire next to my computer and run it to the router just for playing NHL94.

Here is what a typical home network looks like:

post-253-072004300 1302147165_thumb.jpg

There's a wire coming into your house from "the internet", and it plugs into a modem (often made by motorola). a router (often made by linksys) is plugged into the modem. Sometimes these two devices are combined into one device.

the router then usually has wire ports on the back and also offers wireless. you can use either. when you connect the wire, make sure to disconnect from the wireless network, so you know the game is going through the wire.

Company's called Telnor, which is short of Teléfonos del Noroeste.

If there was a better connection for it, I'd have to go to a different state and search for a reliable network or connection. As I mentioned, going to a cyber-café is useless because the ping's horrible. I've tried it there.

I'll just say, I also live in Mexico, and have also experienced some connection problems when playing via wireless.

At work I can hook up via "Maxcom" wireless, and usually it's great, maybe with the odd stutter perhaps once or twice a period, rarely anything more. Against a couple of people the lag was horrible though. Not sure if that's maybe 'cos it was a real long distance, perhaps Canada. (As with others, i'm not particularly technically savvy) I've played a couple of friends from England from that work wireless connection and against 1 it was perfectly playable but at times a little laggy, against the other guy who was also on wireless it was very laggy & definitely not acceptable for what you guys would want to play a league game.

At home I have a "Megacable" connection, and whoever i'm playing it is absolutely shocking! I looked at what the computer said my connection speed was and it was something like 25....erm......somethings (sorry! lol), so I plugged a cable into the back of the wireless router. It went up to like 55 somethings, but was still terrible to play online. I then unhooked the modem from the wireless router, and connected directly to the modem via the cable. The figures went up to 100 somethings (that's really annoying I know!) and everytime i've ever played anyone from this community it has been absolutely superb. Virtually like playing on the same machine. Really that good! Never had an issue once.

I guess what i'm saying Iceguy is that if you can get a cable it might not be sufficient to hook it up to your wireless router, but you may be have to disconnect the wireless router altogether and hook the cable up direct to your modem, as I did, thus solving all of my problems.

Gotta be worth a shot just to get these guys off your back?! lol

For the record, i'm not too offended by the "Tacoman" stuff, but then i'm not Mexican, so if he is offended probably best to let it go. I have to say though, Tacos al Pastor absolutely rock! Especially with a couple of Victoria cervezas to wash them down, so for me "Tacoman" is a pretty cool nickname to have.

Was reading through this from the beggining.

Just want to throw it out there that I've always found it easier to win against opponents with lag issues.

And that the lag I generally experience with ice, is the same I get with fenty, or xot(both over the atlantic)

Obviously talking snes here (which is way better than gens when it comes to handling lag)

As for gens, well. f**k it, experiencing lag there makes me want to punt a baby.

Iceguy: I dunno, your lucky for going 588 games with out this thread popping up.

I'm sure you'll do whatever you can to help appease the situation.

We all encourage it. Thank you for being a good sport.

Well, there aren't that many options besides either trying wired connection downstairs or move on to another part of the country (Or another country for that matter), so I could try harder for that, in particular when my bro isn't using the room.