NHL'94 Forums

Need help w/ netplay and controller

Ken

Hi,

I downloaded the emulator and ROM's, and this works fine with keyboard control.

Now, I need to learn how to play online vs you guys. I click on "netplay" in the ROM, but that didn't work., I went to #nhl94 in mirc, but nobody was there. anyone help?

also, I bought a USB converter foir a genesis converter, but that doesn't work out all on ym pc. my usb port recognized, but the controller is unresponsive during gameplay. anyone help out?

tx

As it alway hard to know what your computer knowledge, I'll start with the basics.

re: netplay, do you have any firewall software installed like nortons that may be affecting its connection? No? is it being block by your router.... Kailleras used a range of ports which I cant remember off the top of my head.

re: controller, plug in the usb device and the controller... go to the game controllers section of the control panel (XP/OS) and test the device & controller in the properties (which has a test button facility) Assuming that works, did you configure the controller correctly within Gens?

As it alway hard to know what your computer knowledge, I'll start with the basics.

re: netplay, do you have any firewall software installed like nortons that may be affecting its connection?  No?  is it being block by your router.... Kailleras used a range of ports which I cant remember off the top of my head.

re: controller, plug in the usb device and the controller... go to the game controllers section of the control panel (XP/OS) and test the device & controller in the properties (which has a test button facility)  Assuming that works, did you configure the controller correctly within Gens?

I'm ok w/ computers - although this may be hard to believe from this post :D

when I try to use netplay, I get an "error requesting servers list"

I don't have norton turned on, but I do have AVG and Zone Alarm. but I don't think these had any affect, since Zone Alarm will always give me a "xxx program is trying to connect to the interent, do you want to allow it" message.

what is the username box on the Netplay screen for? do I need a Kaillera password?

re: the controller, it does work fine in the Control Panel test. so, how do I configure this in Gens?

thanks!

I think the error requesting server list has to do with the main kaillera site (and server) being down at the moment.

If someone is running a kaillera server (Evan?) that you know of (which you probably don't, nor would I expect you to) then click the [Enter IP] button to direct yourself to it.

The username is basically your "handle" when you connect to a server. No big deal... can be whatever you like.. . Some servers can prompt for passwords on connect (from memory). This is to allow a small group of friends to run their own private server and not have any ole one connect.

To configure you controller in Gens, goto Options > Joypads, and click [Refine Keys] for Player One. Follow the prompts and that should do it.

Sorry.. I don't have a Kaillera server up and running.. though if someone wanted to test online play with me, we could always do that.

-Evan