NHL'94 Forums

a 4th line theory

so, I have a theory on how adding another line choice could theoretically be implemented. after seeing the automatic line changes (don't ask why I even tried this terrible option between static lines and fatigue) call for the PP1s from both teams for a bit of 4-on-4 play, the idea came that it may be possible to make X call for the PP1 or PP2 line. it's still a lot of code to hack and write, but it does indicate that the computer already does something similar in choosing even lines. the PP line used would essentially be the extra line (something I already do to get everybody involved). that's it. it's not great, but it's something.

Good idea. I think it would be even better for NHLPA '93, because you can send out the goons if Roenick gets hit from behind.

Edited by Louie14

• 4 weeks later...

Good idea. I think it would be even better for NHLPA '93, because you can send out the goons if Roenick gets hit from behind.

Totally agree. A 4th line would be great on NHLPA 93 as all the tough guys would be on this line with your best defensive players on the chk line. Would make it much more realistic.

Say you enable PP1 as a 4th line, and put 5 players on it..

now when an actual PP is called, you can put on PP1 with 5 players?

or am I missing some details of this idea?

I think that's it. kind of confused as to what you mean about the five players, but I think it would be the same line used as PP1 or PP2 but called for at times that are not powerplays. just an option of calling for a fourth line that already exists. make sense?

ah ok, i was thinking the PP1 line was PK for some reason

but now your 4th line is basically your 1st line....... unless you want to populate your PP1 with 4th line players, but now your PP1 line sucks if you are actually on the PP. I guess you could stack your PP1, and make your SC1 have your 2nd line players, etc..

i don't think the PP line showing up on a 4on4 situation is anything special that makes the hack any easier. it's just a bug, it thinks the other team is shorthanded. it's not like it had the option of picking sc1/sc2/chk/pp1. it just screwed up and decided between pp1/pp2 in the auto-lines code.

Reusing PP1 is a good idea, though, since it gets rid of the need to make room in the ROM for an extra line, and you don't need to fix the Edit Lines and Team Roster screens.

the best players issue is why I also suggested the PP2 line. in my playoffs ROM, I put either the third or fourth line as PP1 for each team, so everybody who usually plays gets on the ice in a typical game. I'd pick the line that most resembled a powerplay line and put the rest of the teams typical PPers on PP2. it works well for what I was trying to do, I think, although I sometimes (not usually) think the PP2 line would've been a better place for them. in retrospect/hindsight, I'm not sure it was 4-on-4 that brought up the PP lines, but I am sure I've seen them automatically used inappropriately. it probably was in 4-on-4 play, though, as I seemed sure of it at the time that I made this thread. whatever. it's all theoretical for me, as I know I won't be bringing such an innovation to reality in the near future. I'm not that good at hacking. I'm proud of my revision to the playoffs ROM, though... it's... different. I did a lot of stuff with graphics editing that I had backlogged in my mind. the recolored goal iron looks nice and I dig the smaller puck, but I suspect the lack of stars and arrows will bother many players... drifting off-topic... um, something about ROM mapping? no. wait, what?

No stars would be so strange when playing against someone, you wouldn't know who was about to mug you for the puck :D

Smaller puck has been done before, some like it, some don't.

no stars is weird, for sure, but it looks so good and adds a bit of a challenge. if you've logged thousands of hours with the game, you likely know which player you will get when switching, but, as you indicated, your opponent may not know what to expect. the smaller puck I liked in Genesis hacks, but I hadn't seen in any SNES hacks. the same goes for the goal colors. there are a bunch of other things I want to convert, like the player physics changes, for example. I was also just thinking about the team-colored puck thing... I'm going to read that bit again and see if I can understand how I'd pull it off for the SNES ROM(s). I have white middles, now. I'm not sure which color to use in the tile editor to make it team-dependent -- the two helmet colors (easy to spot and copy), or are there other uniform parts I should choose from? what was the topic of this thread, again? drugs?

Reusing PP1 is a good idea, though, since it gets rid of the need to make room in the ROM for an extra line, and you don't need to fix the Edit Lines and Team Roster screens.

Yes I'd go for:

SC1 - as your 4th line

SC2 - as your second line

CHK - as your checking line

PP1 - as your top line and top pp unit.

PP2 - your 2nd PP line

PK1/PK2 - the same

As long as you have access to Sc1, SC2 CHK and PP1 at the same time there shouldn't be any problems apart from not forgetting SC1 is your 4th line. This would also allow minimal editing of data on roms already created. This is the easy part.

Is the only way to achive this to programme in another button? :(

yeah, it would take a bit of programming, for sure, but if that is something somebody has the knowledge to execute, achieving said results should not be very difficult. we may need outside help. know any SNES hackers we can recruit?

It took clockwise and kaneda months to come up with the goalie button.. there were some weird programming tricks kaneda had to overcome. and i don't even know why kaneda agreed to put in the time and effort.

so to say it's not very difficult..... you never know until you actually dive in there. code hacks can be a lot of non-linear work.

but there are lots of SNES boards around, there's a big one dedicated to Super Mario Brothers games, so google those forums up and give them shot, see if you can get someone to do it or point out some documentation...

well, of course it is difficult for those of us (me) with no skill at programming, but in the scale of dreams for the game, it sure isn't adding fighting. I wouldn't know what to do with documentation were I to receive it. were I more than a rare user of that forum, I would try to bring some skilled folks over, but I don't have any friends there. if anybody is/can/does....