NHL'94 Forums

SNES vs GENS

Sicarius

I just found this site and it's getting late here so my searching time is short tonight. Just curious what is SNES and what is GENS. It's hard to believe this game is playable online. My thumbs hated me back in the day for playing this game but I'm definitely interested in trying this out. I did read the settings and saw that the goalie is played manual. That's something I never did back on SEGA. That'll be my biggest learning curve for me.

Sicarius

They're the two consoles the game was produced for (in addition to PC i think?).

Being overly specific:

SNES is Super Nintendo Entertainment System

GENS means the Sega Genesis (AKA MegaDrive). The emulator people use is called Gens, so it stuck.

Welcome to the site!

Yes, learning manual goalie control is an important part to competing online and can win you games by stopping would-be easy goals (breakaways, obvious one-timers, etc). But, it's not critical. I've played on here for 5 years, and I make maybe 2-3 manual saves per game.. but on the other hand, some guys will make almost all their saves on manual!

Looks like there's 4 GENS emulators to download. Is there one that most everyone uses? It also appears that registration for the current leagues are over but I'm guessing I can still get some practice games in. I'm going to have to pick up a new control pad for the pc. This is one of my top 5 games of all time so I'll definitely be playing.

Sicarius

I got everything downloaded and running. I ran a practice game with your league settings: 5 minutes, penalties xcept offsides, manual goalie & no switching lines. It was probably the first game I've played since around 1996. So I took Montreal and played vs Ottawa. I won 6-0, not as lopsided as I'd hoped. I read the post about scheduling a game and it said: "Please request your test games here. You must be confirmed in order to be considered to play in a league." Does the "confirmed" just mean that somebody actually plays a practice game with you?

Also I downloaded AIM and my name is SicariusFulgur.

Sicarius