NHL'94 Forums

smozoma's challenge: learn to hack

smozoma

I learned to hack this game when TonyH posted a great thread about how to hack NHL94 (Sega).

I updated the thread last year to use newer tools and explain a few things in more detail / more clearly.

Here is TonyH's hacking school thread

My challenge to this site is: someone follow the 2 lessons above. There is no programming knowledge required. If you get stuck, ask questions, and I'll do my best to help out.

If someone can finish the 2 lessons, I'll make a 3rd one, and so on. Then, we can have a second person working on hacks. There are lots of hacks I could potentially do, but I don't have the time/motivation, but I wouldn't mind directing someone in how to do the hacks.

I learned to hack this game when TonyH posted a great thread about how to hack NHL94 (Sega).

I updated the thread last year to use newer tools and explain a few things in more detail / more clearly.

Here is TonyH's hacking school thread

My challenge to this site is: someone follow the 2 lessons above. There is no programming knowledge required. If you get stuck, ask questions, and I'll do my best to help out.

If someone can finish the 2 lessons, I'll make a 3rd one, and so on. Then, we can have a second person working on hacks. There are lots of hacks I could potentially do, but I don't have the time/motivation, but I wouldn't mind directing someone in how to do the hacks.

I did both these awhile ago + plus the info you supplied for the SNES 30 team+ rom was very helpful.

I think there needs to be a list of what hacks are needed + that are possible.

To me though the only hack worth doing would be adding a 4th line (on the SNES) but is probably too hard as would involve reprogramming the buttons.

tricking it into calling for a PP line in 5-on-5 situations could be done. I've seen (extremely rarely) the computer call for lines that aren't on the pop-up menu of three even lines or two special teams lines. yes, it would involve the fourth button, but that isn't the hardest thing in the world to achieve. that said, I don't have the knowledge and experience to pull it off, but it is totally possible. here is where I again encourage this community to work on ROM mapping projects for all of the systems. ROM mapping. make us all experts by intelligently pooling our knowledge. ROM mapping. did I mention ROM mapping?

I did both these awhile ago + plus the info you supplied for the SNES 30 team+ rom was very helpful.

I think there needs to be a list of what hacks are needed + that are possible.

To me though the only hack worth doing would be adding a 4th line (on the SNES) but is probably too hard as would involve reprogramming the buttons.

I think the last tutorial ended saying the next lesson would be how to find where the period times are loaded from. When I get some time, I'll create a lesson for that.

For SNES, I think the most widely appreciated hack would be 30 teams, then editing logos. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get back into that at all lately.

tricking it into calling for a PP line in 5-on-5 situations could be done. I've seen (extremely rarely) the computer call for lines that aren't on the pop-up menu of three even lines or two special teams lines. yes, it would involve the fourth button, but that isn't the hardest thing in the world to achieve. that said, I don't have the knowledge and experience to pull it off, but it is totally possible. here is where I again encourage this community to work on ROM mapping projects for all of the systems. ROM mapping. make us all experts by intelligently pooling our knowledge. ROM mapping. did I mention ROM mapping?

Some time I'll dump all my info onto an nhl94 wiki I started. Then people will be able to add to it.

Most of the info I have that is not on these forums is related to the player structures in RAM, such as which byte represents the current speed/direction of a particular player, his calculated shooting accuracy, etc... One hack I'd like to do using that info is making one-timers less accurate.

I also have a bit of info about things like... if a certain value in RAM is 0, that means the play is stopped.. this sort of info could be used to fix bugs like being able to score after the whistle on a penalty shot call..

The one thing I always wanted to see done was making it so if you were going to be called for icing on the play (i.e. the pass came from behind the goal line) then your player would not go for a one timer attempt. What happens way too often is you go to speed to get the puck so it isn't called for icing and your guy just stands there like an idiot looking for the one timer, meanwhile the puck is in the corner being touched by the defender who blew right past you.

The one thing I always wanted to see done was making it so if you were going to be called for icing on the play (i.e. the pass came from behind the goal line) then your player would not go for a one timer attempt. What happens way too often is you go to speed to get the puck so it isn't called for icing and your guy just stands there like an idiot looking for the one timer, meanwhile the puck is in the corner being touched by the defender who blew right past you.

yeah, that one is really annoying! i currently don't really have any idea on how to fix it, though.... maybe it's a good bug, though: it prevents you from just bombing the puck down the ice and chasing it to beat the icing : )

yeah, that one is really annoying! i currently don't really have any idea on how to fix it, though.... maybe it's a good bug, though: it prevents you from just bombing the puck down the ice and chasing it to beat the icing : )

that's true haha I never really thought about it like that

tricking it into calling for a PP line in 5-on-5 situations could be done. I've seen (extremely rarely) the computer call for lines that aren't on the pop-up menu of three even lines or two special teams lines. yes, it would involve the fourth button, but that isn't the hardest thing in the world to achieve.

I don't think you could use the PP line as a 4th line as without adding a button. I found an article on reprogramming/adding a button and it looked pretty highend stuff. You say it isn't that difficult? Do you have any information on this? If so please post it.

One hack I'd like to do using that info is making one-timers less accurate.

This would be good. The fact that it is much easier to score on a one-timer rather than a regular shot is one of the main things that spoils the game for me. I would also like a better balance on Sega 93/94 for shooting as it much too easy to score high far post over other areas. I like SNES 93 because you have an equal chance in scoring in any part of the net.

The one thing that needs to be fixed is the bug where the puck goes in the net after the whistle after a penalty shot call is made (if one player shots the puck to the net after the whistle).

Another bug with Penalty Shots, is when you go on a breakaway (you hear the BIP sound) when the clock runs out of time, IF you get hit, AFTER theres no more time left, you'll still get a penalty shot. And that can be WTGA, as it happened to me i was up 4-3, icestorm goes on break, then third period is over, i hit him, he gets penalty shots and score, it shows 4-4 but no OT happened. WTGA.

Edited by Zalex

yeah. do all versions do that? I think they all have similar errors. as far as adding a button action, it is quite possible, but a bit out of my range as a basic hacker. let's get some SNES programmers and coders up in here. invite some folks over to our playground. and something about ROM mapping.

adding a button action, it is quite possible, but a bit out of my range as a basic hacker. l

Hey,

Did you know that there is an hack with a 4th button use, on the gens version...

you can use the goal with this button...

http://www.blog.nhl91.com/#11gc

I think it was made up by Clockwise

I just have an idea, of an other button, for call the extra attacker in the last minute of the game, without passing through the menu and set "no goalie"

It will be great for have a surprise effect, and more control, you can call the extra attacker just when you have won the puck on the face off...

Edited by Dragon

Hey,

Did you know that there is an hack with a 4th button use, on the gens version...

I think it was made up by Clockwise

I just have an idea, of an other button, for call the extra attacker in the last minute of the game, without passing through the menu and set "no goalie"

It will be great for have a surprise effect, and more control, you can call the extra attacker just when you have won the puck on the face off...

Yeah I saw this; it's quite impressive. I'd like to see a button used for bringing up the line change sub-menu (like in the SNES version). That way, one doesn't have to flip the puck to bring up the menu (making line changes as easy to implement as in the SNES version).

the pull the goalie button would be pretty awesome.

what?

Hey,

Here is the link for adding 6 buttons support for Gens. Doesn't look that easy to me but maybe I'm daft :D

http://gendev.spritesmind.net/page-nhl94.html

Edited by top shelf

what?

Here is the link for the Goalie Control patch, you must use Lunar IPS to apply the patch...

and here the page where you can find some more informations

No more excuses for SNES players who won't play Gens version... :P

Edited by Dragon

not what I was referring to, but, yeah. I was indicating that I think adding the ability to pull the goaltender without menu actions would be neat.

Here is the link for adding 6 buttons support for Gens. Doesn't look that easy to me but maybe I'm daft :D

http://gendev.sprite...page-nhl94.html

Thanks for the link. Wow, I didn't know it was Kaneda he got to do it... not exactly your average hacker, this guy knows his stuff...

Also, this link gives us the info I need to set the wait time for selecting the goalie, so it can be made shorter:

This way, when I finally came to the 0xFFBF06 byte, I knew it was initialize with 0x11 and, spying it with GensKMod watcher, I found it decrement to 0x00 when p1 press B long enought to switch to goal :

0xFFBF06 is the P1 long press counter

0xFFBF07 is the P2 long press counter

0xFFBF08 is the P3 long press counter

0xFFBF09 is the P4 long press counter

(those are where the count is stored in RAM, i just need to backtrace them to find where they pick up the starting count in the ROM..)

Another thing that link shows is that Kaneda actually reassembled the disassembled code, rather than doing my rather low-tech method of just manually editing the ROM with the disassembly as reference for what I was doing. I wonder if this is responsible for the broken NOSE compatibility.

broken nose. ouch. it's real hockey, now.