NHL'94 Forums

First timer here! I love Sega Genesis '93 and '94

Hi everyone!

Wow! I cant believe my eyes when I seen the amount of members on this site I FINALLY came across!

It awesome and great to join here!!

I hope Im posting in the correct area. Sorry if Im not.

Actually, I loved both '93 and '94, but if I had to choose one, it would be '93.

I loved the unpredictability of the puck and of course FIGHTING!

Hockey without fighting is like spaghetti without the sauce, haha

I bleed Oiler blue and orange (the original colors) and the best player was #85 Petr Klima

I always played my friend who was a Philly fan and loved using #47 Brad Jones of all players.

Most people, then and now, have no idea who he was, but him and Klima had super 100 rating for speed

I had a question. I never had a chance to play '91 or '92 versions. Were they made for the Sega Genesis and SNES?

Also, were they similar to '93 ?

I dont hear many people talking about those years so Im wondering if they were really terrible or something or

maybe they had limited availability

Have fun playing guys!!

Edited by U_Got_Klimatized

The only thing I remember for Genesis before '93 was NHLPA, which was technically '92. This was actually the first game I played on Genesis at at friends house and was HOOKED. By far the best hockey game that was out at the time, particularly because it had real NHL players and teams, which didn't exist before (to my knowledge). For me, I was coming from Ice Hockey and Blades of Steel on NES, and NHLPA was about 1,000 times better than those games. It wasn't long until I upgraded to Genesis. By the time I got Genesis, '93 was out, so I was much more familiar with the game.

I know there are subforums for the other year here (http://forum.nhl94.com/), on the bottom, but I haven't really looked myself.

I had a question. I never had a chance to play '91 or '92 versions. Were they made for the Sega Genesis and SNES?

Also, were they similar to '93 ?

I dont hear many people talking about those years so Im wondering if they were really terrible or something or

maybe they had limited availability

EA Sports Hockey (which some refer to as '91) was actually released the same year (1991) as NHL Hockey (which many call '92). It was basically the original '92, but was released in Europe and was full of international teams, without NHL teams. That game was ridiculously fast and with regard to game play, it was not that similar to the later titles, however it did look very similar. '92, released in '91 as NHL Hockey, would be my favorite if one timers were included.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing for the SNES before NHLPA Hockey '93. I like the NHL Hockey ('92) the best out of the Genesis series, but I don't think I've tried the European one that is fast.

EA Sports Hockey (which some refer to as '91) was actually released the same year (1991) as NHL Hockey (which many call '92). It was basically the original '92, but was released in Europe and was full of international teams, without NHL teams. That game was ridiculously fast and with regard to game play, it was not that similar to the later titles, however it did look very similar. '92, released in '91 as NHL Hockey, would be my favorite if one timers were included.

As a european game, it was probably designed to run at 50fps, not 60fps as the north american version, making it 20% too fast : )

playing EA Hockey now; on, on, twenty minutes, USA in the Soviet Union. great game. nice change of pace, for sure. it is much faster than NHL Hockey. EA Hockey lacks goalie and defense control, but it's easily the best Genesis hockey game. it has good fighting and a fast pace, but the goalies are porous and the fatigue is about half as draining as I feel it should be, but I like the onscreen meters for it (they should have been in the score box). the goaltenders seem to smartly respect the cutacross, as shots take a bit of time to execute. I like that regular shots lead to rebounds. it's easier to knock folks down in the sideview. there is almost a SNES Ninety Flow level of player control, but not shot control. the slow onetimer almost seems like a viable play, but it isn't quite. the poke check is less effective and much less of a trip move. has anybody got data on this thing? I'm thinking player cards/stats would be nice, so you know what you are choosing. check marks don't mean shit to me. why are the guys on the bench in the wrong uniforms? are they wearing bulletproof helmets and jackets while visiting Russia? can you not play as the USA in playoff mode? I like the two minute instigation penalty. is there a penalty shot? is there interference? are there injuries? what are some other differences between EA Hockey and NHL Hockey? is the Genesis NHFail '94 the only one with a weight bug? are there any good hacks for this game game? and how hard would it be hack this game? I wish I remembered how to hack the Genesis '94, as it was only player cards that prevented a release from me; I had altered the player physics and ratings and I'd like to do similarly with this better game. so many questions, so little information in the EA Hockey section of this site.

picture6d.png

Edited by trudatman

As a european game, it was probably designed to run at 50fps, not 60fps as the north american version, making it 20% too fast....

well, I love the fast way, even if it isn't correct.

Edited by trudatman