NHL'94 Forums

WEEK 1 IN THE GENS 2011 LEAGUE

LA Robbie

Hi All,

Week 1 of play in the GENS 2011 LEAGUE has passed. The level of the coaches that have entered has meant a really high standard of play & calibre of the competition, with a large number of "A" players and an equal number of high level "B" players. One thing's for sure, whoever wins this thing is going to have to earn it all the way!

CHECKPOINT 1 AND COACHES WITH GAMES OUTSTANDING

First things first, there's a number of guys who haven't met the 4 game minimum this deadline, so can you guys please make sure you catch up this week. We've got guys on the waiting list so we've got be tough the same as in classic. If you fall way behind we'll have to offer your place to someone else that wants to play. Likewise, let us know if you can't be committed to the league so we can get a new guy in as soon as possible.

The following coaches need to catch up, and i've put in brackets how many games we need you to play this week to get back on schedule. Let us know if you're going to have trouble with this!

EASTERN DIVISION

TAMPA BAY (Smozoma) (8 games)

WASHINGTON (Vocally Caged) (8 games)

BUFFALO (Egorde) (7 games)

MINNESOTA (Beavers33) (7 games)

NEW JERSEY (Eggink) (5 games)

CENTRAL DIVISION

DALLAS (Freydey) (7 games)

TORONTO (Nationals1) (7 games)

WESTERN DIVISION

LA (Red Wing Devil) (7 games)

MONTREAL (Russian Rocket) (6 games)

BOSTON (Dcicon) (5 games)

WEEK 1 - HIGHLIGHTS - CAN KINGRAPH TAKE THE CROWN?

Without question KingRaph has made a few people sit up & take notice this week! His NY Rangers are 8-0 in the Central Division, posting a couple of big scores on the way against Stonecoldeap & Comeback King. No doubt about it, they're the early form team, and KingRaph's the one everyone is either gunning for now..........or maybe keeping well away from!

Other teams with 100% records include Dcicon's Boston in the Western Division (3-0), Russian Rocket's Montreal, also in the Western (2-0) and a number of other guys who have won their opening games, but not played since.

On a personal note, Anaheim & ProBob's Pittsburgh played out the opening game of the tournament at Anaheim. 5-2 down in the 3rd & moaning very forcefully about connection/control issues Anaheim somehow managed to put it together for a 3 or 4 minute spell, coming back to tie the game up 5-5 before Perry completed his hattrick in OT to take the points for the home side. It was a brief shining moment in Anaheim's season. Probob got his revenge with an easy 6-2 win in Pittsburgh and Anaheim have since embarked on a 5 game losing streak to prop up the Western Division.

Stonecoldeap is also learning about the quality of this league the hard way, with a 0-8 record right now. It can only do us newbies good in the future to have this standard of competition though, and no doubt we'll make big strides forward before the season's over. Right now the bookies have stopped taking bets on a San Jose vs Anaheim Wooden Spoon/Egg Cup/Toilet Bowl series at the end of the season!

Got to give a shoutout too to MAV. After losing 4-2 to KingRaph in his opening game, and subsequently dropping with 3:40 left in the 3rd he's since gone on a 3 game winning streak! How mad would you have been if any of those guys had dropped on you Mav?! ;) Hell you beat me 5-1 courtesy of a couple of goaltending howlers in a tight game & I saw it through to the end! lol. No more of that please people!

Anyway, I hope you're all enjoying the league so far. The level of play is great & it's been an exciting start. Thanks to Stonecold for posting pdf files of the standings, and player stats will be coming soon via Probob.

Look forward to seeing you in our games!

It's been a fun so far, thanks for the hard work you and probob put in! Thanks to stonecoldeap too for doing the .pdf standings.. Do you guys know when you plan to end the regular season yet?

It's a 22 game regular season, & we've got a 4 game minimum per week, so if everyone can get the 2 extra games played in addition to those 4 per week we'll finish in 4 weeks from now, so the playoffs will start Monday 4th July.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention u in the highlights! Lost ur opening 6 & now sitting on top of your division!

Edited by LA Robbie

I feel that another storyline has been my 3rd period meltdowns. The one Robbie mentioned is certianly not the only 3rd period meltdown I've had so far this season.

Also, as for player stats. I'll have them up some time today. Check back for them.

I feel like a marked man now! lol.

Not to get too far ahead (I know it's been a week!), but how are you handling the playoffs? I saw a post when we had 2 divisions of 8, but not 3 with 6. I'm assuming some aspect may be dependent on overall record in the league (ex: 3 division winners in, next 3 is best of league, etc.) so just to think about posting league-wide standings for all divisions in one forum, instead of 3 individual forums -- including overall standings for the 18 teams.

Nice recap and good work guys. Let the record show that I was actually beating KingRaph 2-1 halfway through the 3rd period before my epic collapse, highlighted when I mistakenly called for a line change and let up a goal on a 3-0 breakaway.

Not to get too far ahead (I know it's been a week!), but how are you handling the playoffs? I saw a post when we had 2 divisions of 8, but not 3 with 6. I'm assuming some aspect may be dependent on overall record in the league (ex: 3 division winners in, next 3 is best of league, etc.) so just to think about posting league-wide standings for all divisions in one forum, instead of 3 individual forums -- including overall standings for the 18 teams.

top 8 get in would be my vote. 1st place in each division get 1-3. treat it like a conference of nhl.

My plan is top 2 in each division, plus the two 3rd placed teams with the best records go into "A" playoffs. Next 8 after that play in the "B" playoffs, and the 2 teams with the worst records (Probably me & Stonecold! lol) play a series to prove who sucks more!

This is not at all final, but here's my proposed playoff idea:

Top 2 teams in each division are automatically in. There will then be 3 3rd place teams. There will be two playoff spots left. This is where the controversial part sets in. We could either go by overall record (I think this method would be terrible, because the strength of schedule then plays a factor so the records don't necessarily show who deserves to get in), or we could do kind of a 3 team playoff series, if you will. Each 3rd place team has to play both of the other 3rd place teams. If all 3 teams go 1-1 in this little series, then it goes to goal differential. If it remains tied there, a one game playoff determines the final playoff spot.

So because this sounds confusing, here's an example:

Teams A, B, and C are the 3 who finish 3rd. So team A has to play 2 games, against team B and team C. Team A has a better regular season record then both, so he gets to play both games at home. He beats team B and loses to team C. So he goes 1-1. He beats team B 5-3, and loses to team C 9-1. His goal differential is -6.

Team B, after losing to Team A 5-3, defeats Team C 4-3. He's 1-1, his goal differential is -1.

So therefore, team C has won 9-1 and lost 4-3. Like both other teams, he goes 1-1. His goal differential is +7.

In the end, Team C and Team B get into the playoffs because they had better goal differentials. Team A is eliminated. This is confusing, but in a perfect world, one team goes 2-0, one goes 1-1, the other goes 0-2, and the 0-2 team gets eliminated and goal differential doesn't play a factor. Lastly, if two teams both go 1-1, AND have the same goal differential, they play one game. Winner moves on, loser is done.

Edited by PRoBob38

Top 2 teams in each division are automatically in. There will then be 3 3rd place teams. There will be two playoff spots left. This is where the controversial part sets in. We could either go by overall record (I think this method would be terrible, because the strength of schedule then plays a factor so the records don't necessarily show who deserves to get in), or we could do kind of a 3 team playoff series, if you will. Each 3rd place team has to play both of the other 3rd place teams. If all 3 teams go 1-1 in this little series, then it goes to goal differential. If it remains tied there, a one game playoff determines the final playoff spot.

Teams A, B, and C are the 3 who finish 3rd. So team A has to play 2 games, against team B and team C. Team A has a better regular season record then both, so he gets to play both games at home. He beats team B and loses to team C. So he goes 1-1. He beats team B 5-3, and loses to team C 9-1. His goal differential is -6.

Team B, after losing to Team A 5-3, defeats Team C 4-3. He's 1-1, his goal differential is -1.

So therefore, team C has won 9-1 and lost 4-3. Like both other teams, he goes 1-1. His goal differential is +7.

In the end, Team C and Team B get into the playoffs because they had better goal differentials. Team A is eliminated. This is confusing, but in a perfect world, one team goes 2-0, one goes 1-1, the other goes 0-2, and the 0-2 team gets eliminated and goal differential doesn't play a factor. Lastly, if two teams both go 1-1, AND have the same goal differential, they play one game. Winner moves on, loser is done.

HOLY COMPLICATED! Just let me know who I gotta play -- I trust you. lol

Please, if someone can find, or upload the scene from "BaseKetball" where the commentators are explaining the possible playoff scenarios please post it here. It would be perfect lol!

Searched youtube & did a google search but no luck. Anyone know how I can take it from my DVD of the movie? It really needs to be here!

It only sounds complicated because it's all posted in one place. When it actually happens, it'll make perfect sense... The 3 3rd place teams just have to go to a playoff. Leave it at that for now. lol.

It only sounds complicated because it's all posted in one place. When it actually happens, it'll make perfect sense... The 3 3rd place teams just have to go to a playoff. Leave it at that for now. lol.

lol. I think I prefer the idea of just top 8 records. If u finish 3rd in ur league uv got no right to complain if you don't make the A playoffs IMO. lol