NHL'94 Forums

NHL to go back to 4 divisions?!?

halifax

I certainly hope so. I hated when they changed the division names and then again when they went to 6 divisions. They should rename the nhl divisions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6706113

I doubt they will bring back Adams, Patrick, Norris & Smythe.

I watched the Maurice Richard movie a few nights ago, and it seems Smythe, Campbell and a couple of the others were kinda bigots (despite other good qualities.. Smythe gave a lot to charity, etc)... although maybe the movie is biased to some degree, I don't know..

I do miss the historical, rather than geographical, names, though..

I certainly hope they don't. What a shitstorm I'd cause.

He said he'd move CBJ and DET to East.

And that top 4 of each divisions would make the playoffs.

I mean jesus f**king christ, Isn't it enough that some 8th positions pile over better 9th because it's in the other conference?

And they're would be divisions with 7 and 8. Wow nice way to balance things.

Imagine:

Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, New York, Columbus, Detroit, New Jersey, New York.

4 Of the richest teams against 4 of the poorest teams.

Sounds like a recipe for fuckup.

I mean jesus f**king christ, Isn't it enough that some 8th positions pile over better 9th because it's in the other conference?

That's a horrible excuse for not making the playoffs. If you want to avoid any uncertainty, then finish higher. I hate when teams that finish 9th b***h that they didn't make the playoffs. Well, it's because you finished 9th lol

AILD: What?

So what would you say to those teams?

Oh well you finished 8 points over the 4th seed of the other division, but oh too f**king bad you should have beaten your own?

Yeah, pretty much.

Sometimes things don't fall your way. I'll cross sports here. A few years ago, the Patriots became the 2nd team ever to finish 11-5 and not make the playoffs. I was pissed, but you know what...too f**king bad for me. It's better than having 1 big league with no divisions.

Edited by AILD

He said he'd move CBJ and DET to East.

And that top 4 of each divisions would make the playoffs.

where did you read that?

I don't care for 4 divisions, if the best 16 get in the playoffs.

I see your point.

But 6 divisions doesn't guarantee the "best" 16 teams get in either.

Both Dallas and Calgary out of the West didn't make it this year and they both had more points than the Rangers, who did. The only way to truly eliminate this from happening is to get rid of divisions and conferences altogether, which I think would be horrible.

Put me down for preferring top 8 per conference to top 4 per division...

the divisional playoffs would be exciting, sure (like how the Sens and Leafs kept ending up playing each other ~10 years ago..), but teams will get shafted all the time; building a winning team, but losing out on the playoffs due to there being 4 other winners in the same division, while in the other division, some team gets a free pass. It's like being a Blue Jays fan when the Yankees and Red Sox are in the same division.. what's the point of even caring? You're never going to make the playoffs unless some team falls apart.

Top 8 just makes it more fair..

Top 16 would be more fair, but will never happen.. too much travel and almost impossible to have rivalries based on repeated playoff meetings. They could perhaps even out the East/West divide a bit by messing with the draft order a bit, ordering by points in a few teams surrounding the playoff cut-off...