NHL'94 Forums

Classic League Fall 2011 Registration

chaos

Fall '11 Classic League Registration!

Register HERE

For those of you who have registered on the NHL94Online site before, then registration will be easy. You just need to choose "Yes" for the question "Have you registered for a league before?", type in your site user name and password (NOTE: This is different than your forum password and user name, unless you made it the same), and choose the league you will be joining and your team preferences (a total of 10). Then hit submit and you will be placed on the waiting list. It's that easy.

For those of you who have not registered on the NHL94Online site before, then there is a little more info. to fill out. You need to choose "No" for the question "Have you registered for a league before?" and enter a user name and password (it's common to use the same user name as your forum name or AIM name). You will also be asked to fill out some more information about yourself (email, location, timezone, AIM Name, system preference). Then choose the league you will be joining and your team preferences (a total of 10). Then hit submit and you will be placed on the waiting list. You will then need to play a test game to make sure your connection is set up properly. This does not affect your place on the waiting list, but you cannot play in the league without playing the test game.

Registration deadline will be Sunday, August 28th. At that point, we will assign teams to coaches and the schedules will be released.

There are 5 league levels we are hoping to run this season:

[GENS-A: This is for Advanced players. Genesis]

[GENS-B: This is for Intermediate players. Genesis]

[GENS-C: This is for Novice/Beginner players. Genesis]

[sNES-A: This is for Advanced/Intermediate players. SNES]

[sNES-B: This is for Novice/Beginner players. SNES]

This is just a template for the time being. The amount of league levels might change, depending on the amount of coaches who are registered and confirmed.

You can sign up for multiple league levels (i.e. GENS-A and SNES).

All beginner players for Genesis will be put in GENS-C. This is to reduce the amount of controller and monitor homicides to a minimum, as long as keeping your self-esteem high. As always, halifax and I will have the last say in who goes where if we need to even out the 3 Genesis leagues and 2 SNES leagues.

The season will be 40 games. There is no specific order in which the games need to be played. There will be weekly checkpoints of 6 games, meaning you need to play at least 6 games a week. Don't freak out - since you have multiple games against each coach, it normally amounts to playing 2 coaches a week. Coaches like to get all the games against 1 oppenent done at the same time.

TEAM SELECTION PROCESS

We will be using smozoma's method for team selection. We used this last season and it worked out pretty well. Here is a brief description:

- Everyone is generated a randomized number. This means that it doesn't matter if you registered on the first day or the last day. Everyone has the same chance of getting the first pick.

- After organizing the list using the randomized numbers, we go down looking at everyone's FIRST team pick, in order. Those coaches who still have their first team selection available by the time we get to them, get their first pick. If not, they get skipped.

- Then, we go down the organized list looking at the SECOND team pick of those coaches who are skipped. If those coaches still have their second team selection available, they get that pick. If not, they get skipped.

- Then we look at the THIRD pick, etc.

Example:

Iceguy has his team pref. listed as:    SJ, ANA, TB, OTT
Zalex has his team pref. listed as:      SJ, TB, OTT, ANA
FPB has his team pref. listed as:         SJ, OTT, ANA, TB
Carse has his team pref. listed as:      TB, ANA, OTT, SJ

The randomized order is Iceguy 1st, Zalex 2nd, FPB 3rd, Carse 4th.

First picks:

- Iceguy gets SJ.
- Zalex gets skipped, since SJ was chosen already.
- FPB gets skipped as well, since SJ was chosen already.
- Carse gets TB.

Second picks:

- Zalex gets skipped, since SJ and TB were chosen already.
- FPB gets OTT.

Third picks:

- Zalex gets skipped, because OTT was picked already.

Fourth picks:

- Zalex gets ANA.

I will not be changing team preferences for people after they have registered. If you aren't sure what team you want to use, wait until the last day of registration.

We are aiming for 12-14 teams in each league level, so there is a high probability everyone will get a decent selection.

Good luck! If there are any questions or problems, feel free to PM me.

LINKS FOR NEW GUYS

Getting Started Online - Hamachi setup and netplay - Getting Started

Rules - Rules

Genesis Test Games - Post Here

SNES Test Games - Post Here

View the Waiting List here

I will update the nhl94online.com front page and try to update the nhl94.com front page later today to reflect the start of registration.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The example is a kind of worst-case scenario for zalex :)

But typically this way of choosing teams will give most players one of their top team choices. It turned out bad for zalex in this example because he picked the teams all the other players wanted, like picking CHI, MTL, DET.. and picking no middle teams.

It's advantageous to spread your picks out, to take a few top teams and then your favourite medium teams, rather than just selecting the 10 best teams. Your position in the draft will decide if you get one of those top teams, and if you are farther down the list, then you'll probably get one of your medium teams.

At least.. i hope that's how it works out :D

I would be interested in seeing the lists and the results to see if we can quantify the 'team satisfaction.' I have a longer example in another thread, though, and i think it turned out really well, way more people got one of their top 5 teams than if we did it the old way..

Ah, here's the old example

Oh, the biggest advantage of this method is that FOURTEEN of 30 coaches actually got their first team choice, which I think is great. Coaches who didn't get one of their top 5 teams usually picked all powerhouse teams.

As per not to cause problems with people due to my network, I may have to resign on the Genesis version until there are more favorable developments on that area. In SNES, though, you can still count me in.

Just posting this as a reminder in case people forgot my statement.

Already registered, and can't wait to start. Wish it was 2morrow!

Hopefully I get a decent team! lol

EDIT Looking at the sign ups................isn't Houly an "A" player?!!

P.S. I wouldn't want them, but PHI can be set up to be a very competitive team against most. They're not great, but they're not awful either!

Edited by LA Robbie

Guest Houli

Already registered, and can't wait to start. Wish it was 2morrow!

Hopefully I get a decent team! lol

EDIT Looking at the sign ups................isn't Houly an "A" player?!!

P.S. I wouldn't want them, but PHI can be set up to be a very competitive team against most. They're not great, but they're not awful either!

Im B cuz i cant play for .500 for many seasons in classic A and I nvr won a blitz B cup in 5 seasons!

What about iceguy and smozoma in blitz A and Classic B the last season and houly in blitz B and classic A?

B is fair for my skills!

Robbie, u scared of me? wtf!

Edited by Houli

Im B cuz i cant play for .500 for many seasons!

What about iceguy and smozoma in blitz A and Classic B the last season and houly in blitz B and classic A?

B is fair for my skills!

Robbie, u scared of me? wtf!

LOL. I cudn't resist it.

I signed up for B despite my .35 season last time round................guess I shud've signed up for C and put down one of the top teams as my first choice just so I cud grab some glory. lol

Guest Houli

LOL. I cudn't resist it.

I signed up for B despite my .35 season last time round................guess I shud've signed up for C and put down one of the top teams as my first choice just so I cud grab some glory. lol

YES! dont be de la chair a canon!

YES! dont be de la chair a canon!

Haha. To be fair, you're entitled to sign up for whatever league you want. If you want a strong season in B rather than a .500 season in A that's fine, and to some degree understandable.

I was just trying to be a bit of a dick and get you wound up really.

Do think your qualifying for the "A" playoffs in the 2011 league with the 2nd worst team in the rom suggests you're above "B" standard though, but my motive was purely to get on your nerves rather than make any serious point to be honest. lol

He's been ''seen'' A and has failed for like the last 10 f**king times.

Enough's enough.

Stop trying to launch people in A because you don't want'em in B.

lol. I cudn't give 2 *@#!s about who's in A or B. I don't expect to be in the final mix up so it makes zero difference to me. I just wanted to get under his skin after his constant whining in the 2011 league.

.........you're not trying to get him out of the "A" league are you?!! lol

Guest Houli

I'M in. Unless I get the *($%("")") Flyers again. Worst than TB.

I hope you don't quit in the middle of the season because your rec suck like the last season...

hard to play with some handicap?!?! lollol fpb is good? yes but with the hawks,habs or cuntnucks!

fpb still a cheater and upload gm not completed!

Question: smozoma is rated B?

Edited by Houli

Yeah, I think the A leaguers know who belongs in A. You kind of need approval from the whole group to get into A league. I won't dare put someone in there knowing their NHL94 record and career will take a huge hit.

Houli is a top-tier B leaguer I'd say.

I think smoz could get into A, but never has good success there.

Why finish crappy in A when you could win it all in B?

Well anyone who knows me from 2011 league knows i'm happy to play anyone, & enjoy testing myself against the top guys, so there's no way I can be accused of dodging anyone. I'll be happy to play Houli, Smozoma or anyone else in B, and to learn & improve as a result. Hell, i'd take up a place in A & be happy to get smashed every game if I was offered the chance, as I know my game would benefit greatly from it!

Looking forward to the season.........whoever I play

Guys can sign up for whatever they want...but if we feel they shouldn't be in that league we will move them to the right one when the leagues are set up.

I am going to sign up for B lg as well,im an old man whos brain is pickled and cant do s**t in A lgs anymore.I think houly,smozoma and I are in between A and B lg.I can pull off occasional upsets but I will never win 4 series in A lg

Why finish crappy in A when you could win it all in B?

I will learn a lot more losing in A than winning in B. My goal is to get better and there's only one way to do that. So I signed up for A (assuming acceptance).

I would do well in B (i.e. houly, hokkee, smoz, etc.), but would rather have the challenge of playing in A. No offense to the B leaguers!

To continue where this thread is going:

Hey Vocally, you suck, why do you keep trying to play in A when you'll never win anything?

:angry:

Yeah you loser! You can't break into the top tier!

:unsure:

why would anyone join A when they obviously can't even win a single playoff game against me? Perhaps I should sit this season out to let someone else enjoy the A title

I see you signed up for GENS C. I'm okay with that...we can leave you there...your streak is over. ;)

why would anyone join A when they obviously can't even win a single playoff game against me? Perhaps I should sit this season out to let someone else enjoy the A title

Lol, definitely my vote for most obnoxious post of the year. You can always select a mid to low-tier team to give the rest of the world a chance.