NHL'94 Forums

Pass Shot

kingraph

hmm... this isn't what I imagined. I thought I'd see passes to teammates behind the nets and cut-across pass-shots (these are easy in SNES). that short side one by Messier was pretty nice. I wonder if the SNES has a shooting-for-the-far-side sweet spot for this move like the Genesis clearly does.

hmm... this isn't what I imagined. I thought I'd see passes to teammates behind the nets and cut-across pass-shots (these are easy in SNES). that short side one by Messier was pretty nice. I wonder if the SNES has a shooting-for-the-far-side sweet spot for this move like the Genesis clearly does.

Unfortunately that particular video is limited to the "far-side sweet spot" type of pass shot. There are definitely many other pass shot methods. Here are two more examples:

• 5 years later...

I think if anyone takes about 2-3 hours for 3-4 nights in a row (this seems like a lot, but goes by fast), and plays the 1-0 ROM, and tries all the B shot combo's you've seen, you will realize it's EASY & HARD rollled into one.  Easier than imagined to get the B shot to go into the net, harder than imagined to set up the move.

FOR me, the hardest thing comes in that the movements BEFORE you shoot the B shot are the EXACT opposite of what I'd normally do, so SETTING up the B shot is going against my mental grain.  This then requires me to feel uncomfortable during the real game against a live opponent.  And, if I then say PASS SHOOT off the board and miss the goalie/net, it's even MORE mentally frustrating.  Now, I've given up a decent scoring chance, and missing 2-3 of them in ONE game can turn a win into a loss.

Anyhow, to me, in order to get better at PASS SHOOTING, I'd have to temporarily give up trying to win, or to keep practicing them on the CPU.

Of late, I have not had the mental discipline to fire up my PC & play the CPU :!(@@:!@K:!@

Just now, Brutus said:

I think if anyone takes about 2-3 hours for 3-4 nights in a row (this seems like a lot, but goes by fast), and plays the 1-0 ROM, and tries all the B shot combo's you've seen, you will realize it's EASY & HARD rollled into one.  Easier than imagined to get the B shot to go into the net, harder than imagined to set up the move.

FYI, I did this before last GDL because I had drafted Housley.  I actually got decent at completing B shots w/ him vs CPU, but TERRIBLE at doing them in game vs humans.  I found my game getting worse, and as a guy who doesn't have "margins for error", dropped the B shot till I had more of a commitment to learn it.

Just want to make sure guys understand, a LOT of these A guys who do these B shots have been playing online for YEARS & YEARS, including 2v2 hours on top of hours at night where pass shots galore!

Highly recommend 2v2 for developing a number of in game skills.  Not only is it fun, but it's laid back and winning/losing isn't the highest priority to most guys. 

I credit a lot of my skill development in 2v2.  Here are the top ones for me that might help you develop as well:

1. Goalie Control:  2v2 is basically all breakaways and open look one timers.  Also, it's simpler to identify where the one timer is coming from a lot quicker than 5v5 and prepare your G positioning ahead of time.  Use these games as a chance to grab GC as often as possible.
  2. Pass Shots:  There are anywhere from 10-20 breakaways per game and nearly impossible to get checked when you're on the breakaway.  Since there are so many this is the ideal time to focus on the shooter and their dekes.  In 5v5 you also need to concern yourself with the possibility of one timers.  Not so much in 2v2 since most guys go hard to the net with blinders on