NHL'94 Forums

Online Etiquette Guide

kingraph

For Classic I might consider briefly changing the wi-fi password just to drop all of the wireless peripherals. Oops.

It still shows the overall accurately on the screen so I can guess if they're hot or cold from that. IIf you're not a line editor it saves me the time from checking ur s**t out in Team Rosters

Also + It's ritual/juujuu/Voodoo

No, the overall # is not accurate either.

And since when do you care about saving time Mr. time-saver here looks at replays during league games when his opponent scores a frustrating goal. He want to show how it happened, then hammers his point home by annoyingly rewinding and playing the 2 second clip 10 times.

The real reason you slipped in at the end there. Superstition.

Edited by Uncle Seth

No, the overall # is not accurate either.

And since when do you care about saving time Mr. time-saver here looks at replays during league games when his opponent scores a frustrating goal. He want to show how it happened, then hammers his point home by annoyingly rewinding and playing the 2 second clip 10 times.

The real reason you slipped in at the end there. Superstition.

Well ain't that rich from the king of line changes :grimace:

I don't care about time saving; just that people argue for skipping hot'n'cold as saving time but it mostly doesn't because you have to go select team rosters.

Edited by The Russian Rocket

• 2 weeks later...

NETFLIX - the bane of the online retro gamer.

Here's a work around to fix the streaming problem

https://twitter.com/segathon/status/732268343172861953

Be sneaky with Fam and get a QoS (Quality of Service) router. You change the bandwidth to limit Netflix and allocate it to the needed computers for NHL.

When Netflix is constantly buffering and fam complains, just shrug your shoulders and play dumb and remind them not to interrupt you during a "league game".

• 9 months later...

I posted in this thread over a year ago saying I think it is fine to retry penalty shots, when a goalie poke checks the puck away.  After playing online for a year and a half, I have changed my mind.  Seems cheap to me to do more than one attempt.  So I haven't for quite some time.

I guess I have caved in to the the peer pressure of the community.  Which is a good thing.

• 5 months later...
On 9/11/2011 at 9:23 AM, kingraph said:

Crease-cut goal: Not so much a bug, but this is where a player skates with the puck from the corner across the crease and when they start to shoot (usually backhanded) the goalie lays down (“takes a nap”) and it results in an easy goal. For the most part everyone agrees that it’s a cheap way to score, but at the same time also understands that its part of the game. It’s a defendable shot, so the team on defense just needs to recognize and adjust accordingly.

Guess I'm not the only one who's done it then. Always considered it a glitch goal for the most part, but that was just me.

• 2 months later...
On 9/11/2011 at 6:23 AM, kingraph said:

NHL’94 Etiquette Guide

From time to time different issues come up in regards to sportsmanship, or etiquette in playing NHL’94 online vs. other players. This following is an etiquette guide, which I hope we can all contribute to, in an attempt to minimize conflicts. I’m not an etiquette authority and I’d like to make this a wiki-type of guide. I’m not the first to try this idea – special thanks to the following members who started and contributed to this topic before.

Ticketnest: http://forum.nhl94.c...line-etiquette/ (Jan’10)

Scribe99: http://forum.nhl94.c...line-etiquette/ (Mar’08)

Backhandfloater: http://forum.nhl94.c...line-etiquette/ (Jan’07)

I have consolidated their ideas into this guide. Please feel free to comment on any of the items, or on things you want to add or revise.

PREGAME

Contacting Other Coaches:

If you ask the other guy to play, don't ask him how many games you have. Since you're asking to play, you are probably not as busy, so look it up yourself tongue.gif

If you ask the other guy to play, don't ask him to host first. Since you're asking to play, you are probably more ready to play than him, so you should be able to get your emulator up and running and hosting first.

Initial Set-Up:

Player 1 (home team) typically takes responsibility for adjusting the settings (time, penalties, players, etc.) Player 2 can also do this but Player 2 should hesitate just a moment before doing so to give Player 1 a chance to take charge.

The player who handles the settings should choose his team first and then move the cursor to his opponent's team.

If you want to use the default team (that is, the team your team selector starts on), just move off and back onto the team so that your opponent knows that you've made a decision and aren't just being lazy.

Matchups - Hot/Cold: Some players like to scroll through the hot/cold list and make lineup decisions based on that information, so be patient and don’t press start right away.

Note: It has been verified that the hot/cold ratings are completely random and not related to whether a player is actually hot/cold (thanks Smozoma)

Setting Lines: Player 1 (home team) usually sets his lines first, followed by Player 2.

Player 1 can then change his lines again, since he is the home team and has 'last change,' in case he wants to match a D to a winger or something.

If you prefer the default lineup, scroll to Start Game (but don’t hit start) to signal your opponent that you are ready.

If you started the game before your opponent could set his lines (and you'll know this because he'll pause at the opening faceoff and make the changes), the right thing is to force a quick faceoff (I like lobbing the puck over the boards with the A button). Neither player should try to score immediately, until the correct lines are in place.

GAMEPLAY

Pausing: In league games, try to make sure you have 15 minutes available so you don’t have to pause in the middle of gameplay. However, life happens, and if you do have to pause, try to do so when you are in control of the puck, in a “neutral” position, or during a break in the action. Explain to your opponent the situation.

Pausing when your opponent is in control of the puck or during action is EXTREMELY RUDE.

A pause, followed by a flicker up/down of the menu items signals "nice play". Used more frequently in exhibitions, it’s use should be limited in league play – and NEVER while the play is live as it is a disruption to your opponent.

A quick pause/unpause after a goal is usually a sign of frustration by your opponent. I can be used to stop the goal siren, and more commonly, used to stop the organ music (Buffalo Sabre Dance is the KING of annoying music). It also kills the crowd noise, but whether this actually has any effect on momentum is undetermined.

Replays: In general, avoid excessive replays. Everyone hits the post and everyone gets screwed by cheap goals on occasion.

Replays during league games should be extremely limited.

If you want to view a replay during the action, try and wait until a moment when you wouldn't disadvantage your opponent. That is, wait for a lull in the action where the puck isn't in danger and a scoring chance isn't imminent. Preferably, wait until you have the puck, though this is not always possible. IT IS EXTREMELY RUDE TO PAUSE THE GAME DURING AN OPPONENT'S RUSH OR WHEN HE HAS THE PUCK IN YOUR ZONE.

Calling Timeout: The original purpose of a timeout is to replenish your players’ energy during games with line changes. However, some players believe calling a timeout can change the flow of the game. Doing so is normal, but should only done after a goal is scored (see pausing)

IMing during games: It’s common to sign out/make yourself invisible on AIM during a league game to avoid messaging during a game that can cause lag and/or desynchs. Opponents can chat via the netplay window (P2P), server room, or hamachi chat. In general, avoid chatting in the middle of a league game. Some players have full-screens and an IM can be a major disruption.

Line Changes (in-game): At the end of a period, wait a moment before hitting start in case your opponent wants to change his lines or look at the stats. The most common reason to change lines between periods is due to a player injury that lasted a period. If you want to do these things, be quick about them.

Wait until a stoppage in play to edit your lines or pause the game - don't ruin the flow of the game (see pausing). Please wait until a whistle blows to change your line. You might not realize it but your opponent may be starting his "move" before he's even crossing the blue line.

A common practice is to quickly make your line change at the end of a period before intermission.

Checking/Celebrating After Whistle: Some coaches like to check players as much as possible after a whistle. This is perfectly acceptable, and can be a fun side-game if both coaches like checking.

In the case of a blowout, continuing to check after you score your 7+ goal can be considered taunting, particularly if your opponent doesn’t check back.

If you are whistled for a penalty, try and take control of that player after the whistle and skate him over to the penalty box to save time. If you are getting the power play, don't knock down the player who committed the penalty after the whistle if you can help it.

Penalty Shot

If the goalie knocks the puck off your stick and the ref doesn't whistle the play dead, don't go get it and try for another shot! You got pokechecked, you're done! While that flaw may be "part of the game" to some, good etiquette says to let the time run out.

Running up the score: In league play, running up the score is normal. Considering league records, and potential standings implications, a player has the right to score as many goals possible. While the person on the receiving end may not like it, they should just say “gg” and move on.

A veteran running up the score on a newbie is uncalled for. We want to make the game fun and enjoyable for everyone and people can be discouraged if they are getting blown out.

Pulling the Goalie:

Don't pull your goalie unnecessarily – Pulling the goalie in the 3rd period when you’re down by 1 or 2 goals is an acceptable action, but pulling the goalie earlier or when down 3+ goals ruins the fun factor for yourself and your opponent. Man up and put that goalie back in there or politely IM your opponent that you've had enough (does not apply in league games).

DON'T pull your goalie in your opponents zone! - If he's set his defense up & you have possession, pausing the game will generally cause him to lose control of his defenders on the restart, giving him no chance of defending your shot. Pull the goalie when you take possession in your own half, or between plays, before a faceoff (see pausing).

DON'T pull the goalie when you're winning big - Taunting your opponent by showing you don't even need a goalie on the ice really his the height of unsporting conduct. You don't have to ease up, but don't take the piss either!

Bugs (GENS):

• Goalie Lock: - This occurs when you skate too far with the goalie and make an errant pass (usually into the boards), and then you are unable switch to another player. You become “locked” as the goalie, and to make matters worse, you don’t even have manual goalie – the goalie is also controlled by the CPU. You have no ability to do anything until one of your players receives the puck. The consensus says that this is a part of the game, and you have to deal with it. Pausing, quitting, etc. is NOT acceptable. Be careful and don’t let it happen. When this happens to your opponent, you have the right to score. However, you also have the right to cause a whistle as a sign of sportsmanship.
  • Post Whistle Penalty Shot: At the end of the period (or game!), if a player goes on a breakaway (hear the breakaway “beep”) and the other player checks him down, a penalty shot may result! This is part of the game and you have the right to score. The lesson learned here is to NOT hit a breakaway player after the whistle, and avoid the situation altogether.
  • Goal after the whistle: At the end of a play that would result in an ensuing penalty shot, if you shoot the puck during the stoppage (before the penalty shot), the puck will go in the net and score. Good sportsman on your part to pull your goalie and give up the equalizer goal, however you would have had a penalty shot that you no longer have. I can only hope this never happens on a game-winning or OT goal! Hopefully both players agree to a redo, but at the end of the day if it happens, you may just have to deal with it as part of the game.
  • Crease-cut goal: Not so much a bug, but this is where a player skates with the puck from the corner across the crease and when they start to shoot (usually backhanded) the goalie lays down (“takes a nap”) and it results in an easy goal. For the most part everyone agrees that it’s a cheap way to score, but at the same time also understands that its part of the game. It’s a defendable shot, so the team on defense just needs to recognize and adjust accordingly.

POST GAME

Say “GG” (Good game) and wait a moment because some guys want to look at the scoring/penalty summary or the stats.

We are damn lucky to be playing this ancient game with some good people. Every game is a good game. Certainly beats playing the CPU. So even when your online opponent goose egg'd ya 0-12 say "Good Game." smile.gif

I have played 140 League Games in the last 2 months, with 23 different coaches.
I have had an incredibly good time, and none of this is directed at any one person, so don't anyone get butt-hurt over this.

#1 Don't stop my music!  I worked hard to score and I don't need your BS stick tap to tell me I made a nice play, especially when it is really a BS way to take a timeout and try and kill my momentum.
Now with that said, if you actually use your ONE timeout, then it is fine as that is IN THE GAME.  Also if it was in classic and on the Power play and you want to get your regular line-up back in that is fine.
It is especially annoying when you do it in PRL where I have spent hours getting the music RIGHT, and matched up with the right teams.  I like the MUSIC!  I am so sick, I even like your music, though I will try and check every guy on your team while it plays.
Moving forward if you do it to me, I will do it after every single goal you ever score for the rest of your life.  If you are in PRL, I will impose Draft Penalties and give you broken bobbleheads if you ever win one.:angry:

#2 Don't complain about lag when I win and say nothing when you do.  It just makes you sound silly.  I live in the Rural West and am about 2000 miles away from most of you.  I deal with lag every game.  I think we all do.  I have no idea how bad it is on your end, all I know is no one ever complained when they won.  Now if it is unplayable to you say something, but don't wait until after I win.

#3 Let me see my splash screens and player cards on the start up screen.  KingRaph and I worked hard to make those awesome things.  I want to admire my work.

#4 Don't complain that you didn't know who my line-up was.  See above if you watch the starting line-ups you'll know and I do actually watch them for this reason as well.  I post all number changes and why at the beginning of the PRL Season.  Ray Bourque is #7 in PRL and always will be when I have him.  The first year I had him I also had Turgeon and changed Ray's number because he wore 7 in his early years in Boston and I like it better (I hate hockey numbers above 35), so when you are wondering who that defensemen is who is flattening everybody on your team, ripping snapshots, and I'm skating him up the ice on every rush, it is not Michel Petit from Calgary its Ray Ray.  I also have Dino Ciccarelli and he is wearing number 20 as he did when he played in Minnesota, I let Ruutu keep 22, so if your not sure my center is Dino, not Bob Sweeney.  Again, no one complained until they lost.

#5 Save your excuses when you lose.  Just say GG.

Now if you are guilty of any of these sins, go home and write you are sorry a 100 zillion times!

Edited by CoachMac

#1 Don't stop my music!

I am not sure what you mean by this? Do you think people are deliberately stopping the music?  

What if someone is doing the quick "Nice play" flick, where they go to edit screen and quickly flick it up and down and up before returning?

#2 Don't complain about lag when I win and say nothing when you do.  

Is a comment on lag automatically complaining?  Sometimes it is laggier than other times.  If there are multiple games occurring, a lag comment seems appropriate because maybe something can be tweaked going forward?

#3 Let me see my splash screens and player cards on the start up screen.

Er, how long is a suitable time frame here? :P

#4 Don't complain that you didn't know who my line-up was. 

This is the real reason I am replying here.  This is a legit difference of opinion.

I always thought the rule of thumb was "the player most associated with that number keeps it", for the sake of fair play.  Of course Bourque should be 77, and Dino should be 22.  Even if I looked at your lineup to acquaint myself with the strange # changes, thousands of hours of wiring my brain by playing traditional NHL94 will not be swayed by some strange new numbering.  It is simply not possible.

On this point, I really do feel that the player most associated with that number keeps it. (I know it is your league, your ROM, your rules, but I am just expressing my opinion.) :)

#5 Save your excuses when you lose.  

Really curious who the whiner is here? (I know you will never tell.) 

All that aside, I love the league and appreciate your work, Coach. :) 

1 hour ago, CoachMac said:

#3 Let me see my splash screens and player cards on the start up screen.  KingRaph and I worked hard to make those awesome things.  I want to admire my work.

This is not etiquette because it's not considered rude or annoying to skip the splash screens or player cards.

#4 Don't complain that you didn't know who my line-up was.  See above if you watch the starting line-ups you'll know and I do actually watch them for this reason as well.  I post all number changes and why at the beginning of the PRL Season.  Ray Bourque is #7 in PRL and always will be when I have him.  The first year I had him I also had Turgeon and changed Ray's number because he wore 7 in his early years in Boston and I like it better (I hate hockey numbers above 35), so when you are wondering who that defensemen is who is flattening everybody on your team, ripping snapshots, and I'm skating him up the ice on every rush, it is not Michel Petit from Calgary its Ray Ray.  I also have Dino Ciccarelli and he is wearing number 20 as he did when he played in Minnesota, I let Ruutu keep 22, so if your not sure my center is Dino, not Bob Sweeney.  Again, no one complained until they lost.

I disagree here. Knowing the ORIGINAL player numbers and being able to associate them with players is crucial. If I saw a left-handed defenseman skating up the ice, I would think of Svoboda before Bourque. Even if I knew it was Bourque, there would be a split-second instance of me thinking it was Svoboda because that's what I'm used to. When the play is moving fast, this can make a difference. There was a season of GDL in which LABS set Brian Bradley to #44, and I always thought of Stephane Richer.

The nice play flick is BS and I am saying, I don't like it because yes it stops the music that I like and works as a cheap timeout.
If you want to say otherwise, I'll just call BS, but be prepared as I will give you a flick on every goal which is going to get really old for both of us.

Most everything else, has to do with the fact, I never heard jack when I was going 1-19.  Now that I am approaching.500 I am hearing its laggy, the numbers are wrong etc...
I can't imagine what KingRaph and Icestorm hear or maybe people only need excuses when they lose to me.

My main point again is that no one complained until I started winning a few.

The number thing and what you associate is comical at best.  
All those brains and you can't associate a number with more than 1 guy?  
Again, I'm calling BS.  Ray wore 7 almost as long as he wore 77.  
Dino wore 20 as long as he wore 22, and the whole time in Minnesota.
BTW, Do you know why Ray changed?  
Answer:  So the Bruins could retire 7 for Phil Esposito.
Who also wore 77.  
Maybe I'll draft him next season and really screw up your mind.

Also how does thousands of hours of playing Original 94 deal with these guys all on different teams?

Edited by CoachMac

Are you replying to me directly?  I never said I have any brains.  I am saying I have so little brains in fact I cannot disconnect 77 from Bourque and 22 from Dino.  Very little brains is my problem here, not too much of them. :P

That aside, I can't be one of the guys that has wrankled you during play because we haven't played yet. When we do play, I will keep in mind your little pet peeves here, and respect them.

(Unless you start winning.)

Edited by aqualizard

I agree with Plabax and Aqua here, sorry coach, it's extremely tough to play against Bourque as #7 and not have to second guess myself all game.  Same with Dino.  It drives me nuts when someone like "Belivieau" scores because I have no idea what his stats are, weight, etc.  I CAN study it, but the league is over in 1 week, and it'd take me longer than that to remember these things.  However, 20 years of #77 being Bourque, and having that to adjust to in addition to the retro guys is hard.  Like Plabax said "when the play is moving fast, this can make a difference".

On the "nice play" pause and flick, anyone I know who does this would do so immediately after a goal, before any music kicks in to stop.  And I would ONLY do this against long-time vets that I play against that know what I'm doing/meaning.  Doing it after the goal music starts is too late. 

Most everything else, has to do with the fact, I never heard jack when I was going 1-19.  Now that I am approaching.500 I am hearing its laggy, the numbers are wrong etc...
I can't imagine what KingRaph and Icestorm hear or maybe people only need excuses when they lose to me.

My main point again is that no one complained until I started winning a few.

People will make excuses to make themselves feel better about losing to someone they think is worse. 

Again, I'm calling BS.  Ray wore 7 almost as long as he wore 77.  
Dino wore 20 as long as he wore 22, and the whole time in Minnesota.
BTW, Do you know why Ray changed?  
Answer:  So the Bruins could retire 7 for Phil Esposito.
Who also wore 77.  
Maybe I'll draft him next season and really screw up your mind.

Also how does thousands of hours of playing Original 94 deal with these guys all on different teams?

The problem here is that not everyone is familiar with the real-life numbers. I never knew that Bourque was #7, and I never knew that Dino wore #20. Changing the numbers to other numbers they wore isn't bad in itself, but it may cause confusion if you change it to a number that another notable NHL '94 player wears in the game, or if you change it to a number that some aren't familiar with. I will admit I may have been guilty of this once in the past, as I think I agreed to Pavel Bure being #96.

I think everyone is used to the rule where the best players keep their numbers. If numbers conflict, change the number of the WORSE player by swapping the digits, adding a zero, changing to another number they wore, etc... but don't change it to another notable number. For example, I may think Brian Bradley #44 is Stephane Richer, but if I see a right-handed #29 or #91, I will think Brian Bradley.

There is no reason for Dino to be #20 because there are no other notable players in the game who wear #22. Making Dino change his number instead of Christan Ruutuu is confusing within the realm of NHL '94.

Playing thousands of hours of original '94 deals with the players on different teams because you identify players by their classic jersey numbers and not the team they play for. 

Edited by Premium

15 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Are you replying to me directly?  I never said I have any brains.  I am saying I have so little brains in fact I cannot disconnect 77 from Bourque and 22 from Dino.  Very little brains is my problem here, not too much of them. :P

That aside, I can't be one of the guys that has wrankled you during play because we haven't played yet. When we do play, I will keep in mind your little pet peeves here, and respect them.

(Unless you start winning.)

:haha:  I like the ending of this.

7 minutes ago, kingraph said:

I agree with Plabax and Aqua here, sorry coach, it's extremely tough to play against Bourque as #7 and not have to second guess myself all game.  Same with Dino.  It drives me nuts when someone like "Belivieau" scores because I have no idea what his stats are, weight, etc.  I CAN study it, but the league is over in 1 week, and it'd take me longer than that to remember these things.  However, 20 years of #77 being Bourque, and having that to adjust to in addition to the retro guys is hard.  Like Plabax said "when the play is moving fast, this can make a difference".

On the "nice play" pause and flick, anyone I know who does this would do so immediately after a goal, before any music kicks in to stop.  And I would ONLY do this against long-time vets that I play against that know what I'm doing/meaning.  Doing it after the goal music starts is too late. 

It is just bizarre to me as I know almost every guys number from every year, and I am Minnesota, and Dino was 20 in Minnesota.
Ray was just as much 7 to me as he was 77.
I guess we just differ, obviously you guys are way better than me at 94 so I respect your opinion, but it still kinda blows me away that you can't figure that out.

The nice play flick is CHEESE. 
A cheap time-out. 
Again if you want to call your time out OK, but don't give me the flick.

the excuse that killing momentum is to give the other guy props is a cruel lie perpetuated needlessly.  cut that out.  it is not "good game" unless spraying glue in a race is a way to say "I forfeit," and defecating on somebody's pillow is a token of deep respect.

31 minutes ago, Premium said:

People will make excuses to make themselves feel better about losing to someone they think is worse. 

The problem here is that not everyone is familiar with the real-life numbers. I never knew that Bourque was #7, and I never knew that Dino wore #20. Changing the numbers to other numbers they wore isn't bad in itself, but it may cause confusion if you change it to a number that another notable NHL '94 player wears in the game, or if you change it to a number that some aren't familiar with. I will admit I may have been guilty of this once in the past, as I think I agreed to Pavel Bure being #96.

I think everyone is used to the rule where the best players keep their numbers. If numbers conflict, change the number of the WORSE player by swapping the digits, adding a zero, changing to another number they wore, etc... but don't change it to another notable number. For example, I may think Brian Bradley #44 is Stephane Richer, but if I see a right-handed #29 or #91, I will think Brian Bradley.

There is no reason for Dino to be #20 because there are no other notable players in the game who wear #22. Making Dino change his number instead of Christan Ruutuu is confusing within the realm of NHL '94.

Playing thousands of hours of original '94 deals with the players on different teams because you identify players by their classic jersey numbers and not the team they play for. 

100% on your first comment and Sad.

The PRL is about educating NHL 94 players about the history of Hockey....Look what you have learned tonight.

That is not the rule in the PRL.  As I said above, I respect your opinion as you are wicked good at 94, but I don''t get how you can't adjust to that.:grimace:
AND, You know the General rule around here for leagues is to allow slackers and have seasons drag on endlessly, I am trying to change some of those as were you before you walked away.   

I don't live in the realm of 94, I live in the realm of Hockey History and Dino was 20 when he was a North Star.  Now you know!:big_smile:

Edited by CoachMac

2 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

The PRL is about educating NHL 94 players about the history of Hockey....Look what you have learned tonight.

That is not the rule in the PRL.  As I said above, I respect your opinion as you are wicked good at 94, but I don''t get how you can't adjust to that.:grimace:
AND, You know the General rule around here for leagues is to allow slackers and have seasons drag on endlessly, I am trying to change some of those as were you before you walked away.   

I don't live in the realm of 94, I live in the realm of Hockey History and Dino was 20 when he was a North Star.  Now you know!:big_smile:

If someone swapped the keys on your keyboard, it would take you a while to adjust to it. You would hit the wrong key many times before finally getting used to it. Now imagine the trouble if you constantly went back and forth between the original keyboard and the modified one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Premium said:

If someone swapped the keys on your keyboard, it would take you a while to adjust to it. You would hit the wrong key many times before finally getting used to it. Now imagine the trouble if you constantly went back and forth between the original keyboard and the modified one.

:eyes_droped:

Edited by CoachMac

I think Coach's comments need to be put into perspective.

#1. It's HIS retro league.  He mixes players from his roms w/ '94.  So, I understand number changes that go with retro.

Its also wbf w/ no c/b so we already make mental adjustments.  It DOES cause mental delays.  I sometimes pause game during a stop to go re-look at a roster to see who is who.

So, it would make sense for the guy doing all this retro work to want it his way!

I understand Raph taking the gamer's point of view that Plabs laid out.  From a gaming point, it is an extra distraction but I'd not imagine Coach not using the numbers he did given the league/format.

#2 There are some annoyances with playing the same game OVER & OVER & OVER.  One of them is intros, music repeating & delays. That said, I've always found it a-hole like to pause the game after i score.  Raph does it the most.  I've mentioned it before.  I know there is a lot of old school 94 that is considered standard behavior, but to me, it was always such a slap in the face.  If we were in person, I'd punch you in the balls for sure if you tried to buzz kill my momentum.

I agree w/ Coach on a 2 week season, we could stop to enjoy his work a little more.

#3 I don't think Coach is used to winning, so he's not used to all the crap guys do when you beat them.  In this site, tend to get more excuses when someone loses.  Sometimes, the excuse is real.  Could be why you won.  Still, it's generally low class to not take your defeat like a man.

i always say GG, win or lose & get some goofy lag at times vs you but I never complain.  Happy to have the games & it's the same on both sides, lag wise .

ps tru STFU

Pausing after a goal is usually not to kill momentum though. From my experiences.. pausing after a goal is to:

1) Display frustration

2) Signal a nice play

3) Stop annoying music from playing

When it's done right after a goal is scored, the music still plays, but the crowd won't cheer.

Edited by Premium

You know, I have never taken note of the music.  Or the crowd.  On a rare occasion, if a noteworthy goal was scored, I will try and do the "pause / up and down / nice play / flick" thingy, thinking I was being respectful.  It makes me cringe to think every time I may have been doing this, instead of it being received as a goodwill gesture, it was received as an a**hole move.  Ugggh.

I rarely did it.  As noteworthy plays rarely occurred.  But knowing it may be having the reverse effect means I am going to do away with it completely.

^^^ There you go, Coach, a concession.  Now change those numbers back! :P

Edited by aqualizard

59 minutes ago, Premium said:

Pausing after a goal is usually not to kill momentum though. From my experiences.. pausing after a goal is to:

1) Display frustration

2) Signal a nice play

3) Stop annoying music from playing

When it's done right after a goal is scored, the music still plays, but the crowd won't cheer.

In some sense, I feel like a noob.  I've been on here a long time, but not nearly as long as a lot of the "A" crowd, && I've never known it was a signal of nice play type thing by the vets !!

lololol.  Somehow I missed this in intro section.

and I don't believe it stops momentum, just gets rid off he noise/ displays a temper tantrum.

i could be wrong.  Obviously.

24 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

You know, I have never taken note of the music.  Or the crowd.  On a rare occasion, if a noteworthy goal was scored, I will try and do the "pause / up and down / nice play / flick" thingy, thinking I was being respectful.  It makes me cringe to think every time I may have been doing this, instead of it being received as a goodwill gesture, it was received as an a**hole move.  Ugggh.

I rarely did it.  As noteworthy plays rarely occurred.  But knowing it may be having the reverse effect means I am going to do away with it completely.

^^^ There you go, Coach, a concession.  Now change those numbers back! :P

9 minutes ago, Brutus said:

In some sense, I feel like a noob.  I've been on here a long time, but not nearly as long as a lot of the "A" crowd, && I've never known it was a signal of nice play type thing by the vets !!

lololol.  Somehow I missed this in intro section.

and I don't believe it stops momentum, just gets rid off he noise/ displays a temper tantrum.

i could be wrong.  Obviously.

I just picked up on this over the last year from playing 2v2, I'm not a fan of the pause after a goal unless calling time out, goalie change, or necessity because line change after a penalty leads to a PP goal, BUT that's just in league play, in exis with guys I'm comfortable playing with (have exied a lot, and it's more for fun, and practice then actual competition thou f**k you I want to win every single game) I could care less, and enjoy pausing checking out replays of awesome goals for, and against, and funny stupid s**t like slappers off defenders dome piece that saves a goal, or like last night nailing a one timer to only see the goal credited to someone else, and had to replay why the f**k he got credit to find out he was behind the net, and touched the puck through the back of the net after it went in giving him credit for the goal, stuff like that during exis.  Real games I will make comments about over Discord chat during, or mostly after game.

6 hours ago, Brutus said:

...always found it a-hole like to pause the game after i score.  Raph does it the most.  I've mentioned it before.  I know there is a lot of old school 94 that is considered standard behavior, but to me, it was always such a slap in the face.  If we were in person, I'd punch you in the balls for sure if you tried to buzz kill my momentum....tru STFU

it is really almost all "competitive etiquette," so don't let yourself get riled up by my agreeing with you in a thread with the term "online" in it.  no need to be a jerk.  or maybe there is -- maybe if enough people get worked up and nasty I will be banned from more sections of the site in which I previously enjoyed conversing about the games.  is that your goal with that stupid jab?  I had better check my account for the demerits you deserve, right?  the freaking cool kids club here is awful.  this crap is counter to the push for more active members.  why don't you report this post so I can have further disciplinary action taken against me for other people's inability to stay civil?

If I've cut the music short during any online games, it's probably because I have the sound turned off. I like to play to my own music, no offence to those that work so hard changing it. Truth be told, goals could be signalled by fart noises, and the crowd could be chanting "go Coach go", and I wouldn't know it. ;)

Edited by jer_33

My concern is that pausing after a goal quietens the crowd, which could be stealing home team advantage if the crowd affects how the team plays

And if I scored I earned the music, even if you don't like it ;P

14 hours ago, tru said:

valid point was about music, running fools over, momentum.  rest was nonsense stuff, at best.

This is why I gave you a comment, because you are always an arse.

For you to throw your comment at Coach, a guy who does a lot online & actually plays online, compared to a guy who never does but just trolls, it's a full earned...

STFU