NHL'94 Forums

Online Etiquette Guide

kingraph

1 hour ago, jer_33 said:

If I've cut the music short during any online games, it's probably because I have the sound turned off. I like to play to my own music, no offence to those that work so hard changing it. Truth be told, goals could be signalled by fart noises, and the crowd could be chanting "go Coach go", and I wouldn't know it. ;)

Then why pause the game? 
You also love your timeout. (Which I am fine with) and your goalie change.
I'll try and add fart noises to my next rom and give the Leafs pink uniforms since none of that matters.
Actually I will completely remove the music from Maple Leaf Gardens.
Harold Ballard would love this as he could have saved money by everyone just bringing their own music.
Calling BS here.

30 minutes ago, smozoma said:

My concern is that pausing after a goal quietens the crowd, which could be stealing home team advantage if the crowd affects how the team plays

And if I scored I earned the music, even if you don't like it ;P

Yes.

This is a good conversation and obviously matters and has different opinions, but I think a Fair Summation is,

Don't Pause in Game!

Exceptions would be to take your timeout.
Change your line-up in classic.
(which still gets annoying, but I get it)
(example Montreal LW gets a penalty and you don't want Dionne in the game.)

The jersey numbers should defer to the better the 94 player's number from 1993 in draft leagues.

The Exception would be the Premium Retro League.:P,
Where hockey history trumps "the realm of 94"
I will take your opinions into consideration, just as i did in Season 1 when KingRaph wanted Leetch to keep 2 instead of Doug Harvey.
It pained me greatly, but since Leetch was a HOF guy as well, I let it happen.
It is funny as I looked this morning at the NHL 94 players. Dino is about the only guy, that has the situation he does and if I was any team but Minnesota, I would have probably left him as 22 and been fine with that. 
Ray I will change to 77 moving forward as that is historically correct and makes you guys happy.
However, In the PRL retro guys will mostly get their numbers.:D

1 minute ago, jackandjose said:

I'm using Dallas right now for classic, and I always feel bad when I pause game to move courtnall back to RW.  

100% cool with this, annoying but cool.
Playing Darko with LA is the worst, but again 100% cool with that.

20 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

Then why pause the game? 
You also love your timeout. (Which I am fine with) and your goalie change.
I'll try and add fart noises to my next rom and give the Leafs pink uniforms since none of that matters.
Actually I will completely remove the music from Maple Leaf Gardens.
Harold Ballard would love this as he could have saved money by everyone just bringing their own music.
Calling BS here.

The Exception would be the Premium Retro League.:P,
Where hockey history trumps "the realm of 94"
I will take your opinions into consideration, just as i did in Season 1 when KingRaph wanted Leetch to keep 2 instead of Doug Harvey.
It pained me greatly, but since Leetch was a HOF guy as well, I let it happen.
It is funny as I looked this morning at the NHL 94 players. Dino is about the only guy, that has the situation he does and if I was any team but Minnesota, I would have probably left him as 22 and been fine with that. 
Ray I will change to 77 moving forward as that is historically correct and makes you guys happy.
However, In the PRL retro guys will mostly get their numbers.:D

Love ya Coach.

I wasn't thinking about the pause so much as I might be cutting the music short to get back to the face-off after a goal, because I can't tell when the music ends.

As for actual time-outs - I am of the camp that believes a time-out actually resets momentum in a game. If I've just had 2 or 3 goals scored on me in quick succession - I know that for the rest of the period, my guys will be running around full fire-alarm, and that winning a face-off will become an impossible feat. A timeout (beyond giving the coach a reset) more often than not can give you the next face-off, and an opportunity to hold onto the puck for a bit.

If I can say anything about changing player numbers - it's that there should be a hard/fast rule, no negotiating. In fact, maybe there should be a way to show that a common player has had his number changed in game. It would be cool if you could add a star, or an x to the players number on screen. s**t, could you ditch numbers for initials - or 3-4 letter acronyms? (Not asking for these roms to be changed, just wondering if it is possible).

Great stuff coach.

Edited by jer_33

9 minutes ago, jer_33 said:

Love ya Coach.

I wasn't thinking about the pause so much as I might be cutting the music short to get back to the face-off after a goal, because I can't tell when the music ends.

As for actual time-outs - I am of the camp that believes a time-out actually resets momentum in a game. If I've just had 2 or 3 goals scored on me in quick succession - I know that for the rest of the period, my guys will be running around full fire-alarm, and that winning a face-off will become an impossible feat. A timeout (beyond giving the coach a reset) more often than not can give you the next face-off, and an opportunity to hold onto the puck for a bit.

If I can say anything about changing player numbers - it's that there should be a hard/fast rule, no negotiating. In fact, maybe there should be a way to show that a common player has had his number changed in game. It would be cool if you could add a star, or an x to the players number on screen. s**t, could you ditch numbers for initials - or 3-4 letter acronyms?

The actual time out is fine.
If you don't pause the music will play.

There is a hard and fast rule.
Now I know it.
The PRL will have some exceptions to the rule in regards to retro guys and hockey history, but I will try and respect the rule when possible.

Oh and as for the acronyms, I hate names on jersey.  So the PRL would say no to acronyms.

Edited by CoachMac

I know this has nothing to do with how changing the number in an actual rom works.
I know all players are the same in 2v2.

BUT,

Whoever made the 2v2 rom knew that Dino was 20 in Minnesota and that is what he is wearing.:exciting:

AND,

this makes me happy.

Edited by CoachMac

I don't understand why you guys just don't disable penalties. They mostly are just random stoppages in play, and they result in goals more than 50% of the time. So many goals are scored only because it was on a power play. 

Not only that, but people feel the need to change their lines every single time they get a penalty. It's just a waste of time.

Edited by Premium

14 minutes ago, Premium said:

I don't understand why you guys just don't disable penalties. They mostly are just random stoppages in play, and they result in goals more than 50% of the time. So many goals are scored only because it was on a power play. 

Not only that, but people feel the need to change their lines every single time they get a penalty. It's just a waste of time.

I actually could go for this in the PRL, season 4.

Did you know until the 1955-56 season scoring a goal on the Power play did not let the guy out of the box, so you could literally score 3-4 goals on a single Power Play.  AND, The Canadiens did.  The rule was changed and known as the Beliveau Rule..

Maybe in Season 4 we will go penalties off.

• Like 2

cant believe you didnt know the pause and flick up and down was to signal nice goal brutus after all this time, thats hilarious. But I can understand, as I remember yearsss ago when i first started i asked raph if theres some sort of a morse code meaning to the pausing and flicking people do, so it wasnt intuitive to me either at first. 

Im surprised so many people find it annoying. Ive always felt respected when people give me the flick. Occasionally a player will pause and flick out of rage, usually they pause and immediately go into the replay and then immediately spam C and start or just double start to unpause. 

But interesting ideas about it quieting the crowd, never really thought about that. As much as I like the flick, maybe we should put a soft ban on it for league games or something. This is why we need ingame chat like snes gahhhhh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomKabs93 said:

But interesting ideas about it quieting the crowd, never really thought about that. As much as I like the flick, maybe we should put a soft ban on it for league games or something. This is why we need ingame chat like snes gahhhhh

Sometimes when I get a good goal scored on me I do a little spin-around with my guy instead of checking the bejesus out of the other team. If I do something dumb I ram my guy into the boards.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Sometimes when I get a good goal scored on me I do a little spin-around with my guy instead of checking the bejesus out of the other team. If I do something dumb I ram my guy into the boards.

haha yeah i think lots of people have different post-goal against habits. Whenever someones blowing me out and I start feeling defeated, I often stop checking after the whistle and just stand there. Im more of a checking after the whistle guy when im happy, not sad. 

Whenever i make a dumb manual goalie play i often spam the stick around looking in every direction making the goalie look like hes having a seizure lol

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...
On 11/20/2017 at 11:22 AM, CoachMac said:

This is a good conversation and obviously matters and has different opinions, but I think a Fair Summation is,

Don't Pause in Game!

Exceptions would be to take your timeout.
Change your line-up in classic.
(which still gets annoying, but I get it)
(example Montreal LW gets a penalty and you don't want Dionne in the game.)

On 9/11/2011 at 9:23 AM, kingraph said:

Pausing: In league games, try to make sure you have 15 minutes available so you don’t have to pause in the middle of gameplay. However, life happens, and if you do have to pause, try to do so when you are in control of the puck, in a “neutral” position, or during a break in the action. Explain to your opponent the situation.

Pausing when your opponent is in control of the puck or during action is EXTREMELY RUDE.

A pause, followed by a flicker up/down of the menu items signals "nice play". Used more frequently in exhibitions, it’s use should be limited in league play – and NEVER while the play is live as it is a disruption to your opponent.

A quick pause/unpause after a goal is usually a sign of frustration by your opponent. I can be used to stop the goal siren, and more commonly, used to stop the organ music (Buffalo Sabre Dance is the KING of annoying music). It also kills the crowd noise, but whether this actually has any effect on momentum is undetermined.

@danTML7

• Haha 1

okay thanks @chaosbut is there set etiquette what to do when it happens? like one time I got burnt so bad and I kinda smashed my controller thinking it was in, but it paused. then when it unpaused, it ended up hitting post. but I gave him the goal because of my error.

But in a general sense, what does one do if the guy is making an offensive move and you pause? what if he's just in the zone? what if he's in neutral, etc. should be codified, even though it's very rare.

11 hours ago, danTML7 said:

okay thanks @chaosbut is there set etiquette what to do when it happens? like one time I got burnt so bad and I kinda smashed my controller thinking it was in, but it paused. then when it unpaused, it ended up hitting post. but I gave him the goal because of my error.

But in a general sense, what does one do if the guy is making an offensive move and you pause? what if he's just in the zone? what if he's in neutral, etc. should be codified, even though it's very rare.

I think if they are in the O zone about to score, you have to give them a goal. Or, if they are in the O zone and are setting up, I would give them about 5 real time seconds or so to set up again before trying to attempt to play defense. Other than that, I would think its good practice to flip the puck down into their zone and give them a possession.

The best thing to do is talk it through with your opponent when it happens.