NHL'94 Forums

The LA kings are the best team in '94

halifax

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/717153/the-best-video-game-sports-teams-from-nhl-94-to-fifa-12/

"Still hailed as one of the best sports games of all time, NHL ’94 also featured the greatest hockey player of all time; Wayne Gretzky. Or at least EA seemed to think so, as his team at the time, the LA Kings was an unstoppable powerhouse. A friend of mine who happens to be a NHL ’94 fan in the vein of those who create fan sites for the game told me that when he plays the game, playing as LA is strictly forbidden. With an all-star cast of Wayne Gretzky, Luc Robitaille and Tomas Sandstrom, the Kings are so unbalanced when compared with other teams; EA probably removed fighting to prevent super fan 99 from watching Gretzky’s head bleed."

yeah that spot is def reserved for chi and det. when i'm la i put in granato and millen to replace sandstrom and luc. just like buff sometimes too many good players can be worse for offense

edit: this post was made under the influence of pbr pounders

Edited by minpind

lol! On SNES, I routinely sub out Wayne Gretzky in favor of Jimmy Carson because of Gretz's average shot ratings. EA for sure did not bless Gretzky as the best player because it's not easy to score on one timers with him.

And really, LA is not the best team because they do have some weaknesses on D. Rob Blake is pretty good but Marty McSorley can be hit or miss at times and he takes a TON of penalties. Subbing in Alexei Zhitnik can help at times, but he can get crushed by heavyweight teams and sometimes mishandles the puck when receiving passes.

For SNES, best team hands down is Pittsburgh. None of the starting 5 are under 200 lbs, but are all gifted with good to great skill sets. Speed+Weight+Good Shooting (Lemeiux) = A long game for Pitts' opponents...

I think it also has to do with the fact that Gretzky missed a good chunk of the season due to injury, so there's a good reason why his shot ratings are low. You can still deke the hell out of goalies, though. It wasn't until late in the season and in the playoffs in which he played like his old self.

I think LA is still a tough team to beat. You just need some skill in order to exploit their strengths. They still have top 10 snipers in Robbitaile and Sandstrom, an underrated speedster in Granato and either Carson or Kurri can fill in for just about anyone. The only pertinent d-men pairing is McSorely and Blake. Just know how and when to go for the hits and you'll be fine.

seriously. while most of the netminders fall squarely into the suck zone, LA has one of the worst starters in the game. PIT, CGY, VAN, NYR, BOS... even LA and a few others may contend, but, due to the drastic dropoff in the goalie pool, the only team that a case of best can be made for is Chicago (although, I guess MTL must be great in that version where everything is wacky and pussies devastate).

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - 78

Chicago Stadium advantage: high

road advantage: average

power play: normal

penalty kill: strong

27 Jeremy Roenick - 89

28 Steve Larmer - 86

22 Christian Ruutu - 72

12 Brent Sutter - 71

17 Joe Murphy - 71

7 Chris Chelios - 84

5 Steve Smith - 72

2 Bryan Marchment - 51

30 Ed Belfour - 98

goaltenders can't get hurt, so the only real risk of skill loss comes with the daily randoms and/or a loss of multiple defenders. yeah, you don't have any Bourques or Lemieuxes, and your third line is likely to suck monkey penis, but the first two lines should roll over any other team, unless your netminding game is seriously deficient -- don't blame Belfour if you lose with Chicago.

LA would be a hell of a lot better if it weren't for that bum Hrudey in net. He's awful.

hrudey is hilariously bad. I have a folder of "lowlights" of him blowing easy shots in hilarious ways from when i was working on the weight bug fix back in tha day

For SNES NHL'94

#1 Pittsburgh Penguins (Mario and Jagr) the best team

#2 Detroit Red Wings (Yzerman and Fedorov)

Edited by JeffBC

Only Hrudey could post a league-best GAA that is that high!

Hrudey is in the GAA

• 3 weeks later...