NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 In-Game Sound Effects

Evan

Hey guys,

My cousin posed this question before, and I just wanted to get it back up here because it's something I would love to know as well.

Is there a way to extract the in-game sounds effects from the genesis BIN file of nhl94? Is there some sort of program you could run to extract these audio files? I would love to know where they reside within the BIN file, just so we could replace the sound effects with others.

-Evan

• 3 months later...
Hey guys,

My cousin posed this question before, and I just wanted to get it back up here because it's something I would love to know as well.

Is there a way to extract the in-game sounds effects from the genesis BIN file of nhl94? Is there some sort of program you could run to extract these audio files? I would love to know where they reside within the BIN file, just so we could replace the sound effects with others.

-Evan

This is definately a huge thing cus i think the sound effects are awful.. the crowd sounds like one that is in a small pewwee rink. Is it possible to have a hot key that triggers music say after a goal, on your command?

Guest nhl92fan
This is definately a huge thing cus i think the sound effects are awful.. the crowd sounds like one that is in a small pewwee rink. Is it possible to have a hot key that triggers music say after a goal, on your command?

I heard the crowd cheers and boos were from the Madden series, except with an echo behind them. So I guess Madden must've been really bad.

• 1 year later...

The siren absolutely needs to be removed from the game. I have never watched or attended a hockey game in my life and heard that despicable wail after a goal. A horn, take your pick, (fog, ferry, train...), would add realism to the game and be rewarding to hear after a big goal. As for the crowd noise, it would be nice to add a new trigger instead of after hits and saves, like, for example, on a breakaway from the blueline. It's pretty weak when you get a breakaway in overtime in a playoff game and the arena is silent. :D Any thoughts guys?

post-885-1172890624.gif

post-885-1172890737.gif

I don't think there can be triggers for those kind of moments, but the actual horn after the goal is also kind of nostalgic, reminds you fo NHL 94 because I guess it wouldn't be 94 without that annoying horn lol, but the crowd, something has to be done with that.

Hell I want a new NHL 94 with the updated rosters after the deadlines first though guys, anybody have that yet?

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to keep this thread alive. Not sure if replacing sounds is possible, but man, that'd be awesome. Although the siren is pretty classic, no harm having a different ROM with all kinds of updated sounds.

Genesis sounds are all synthetic, so I don't think you could just replace them with an actual audio sample...it would have to resampled down to a tiny amount of data to fit in the ROM, for one thing, but I don't think the game plays 'samples' anyways, more like 'instruments', if you know what I mean. Like the difference between MIDI and mp3s. The game has 'sound language', and the sound engine reads and 'renders' the noise you hear. I think anyways, I don't have any concrete to back this up with or anything.

Reminds me of when my brother and I were kids...we tried replacing the sounds in "Superstar Ice Hockey" on the Amiga. We could open the sounds in some weird format in Audio Master III, and play them, but replacing them didn't seem to work. We wanted to change the slap shot sound (a tiny 'click') to a shotgun sound. LOL.

I have never watched or attended a hockey game in my life and heard that despicable wail after a goal.

umm..try playing as Washington or Montreal on the PC versions of Nhl 2000-2002. I own all three and they were there. Game, set,match..me

umm..try playing as Washington or Montreal on the PC versions of Nhl 2000-2002. I own all three and they were there. Game, set,match..me

Can you read?? I said "I have never WATCHED or ATTENDED a hockey game in my life and heard that despicable wail after a goal." Second of all, the apparent siren in the VIDEO GAME is an inaccurate representaion of those arenas. The Bell Centre uses a Via train horn and the Verizon Center uses a ferry/ police siren combo that sounds nothing like the obnoxious wail in NHL '94. Check your facts and then check your head. Checkmate, pal.

P.S. The point of this thread is to be constructive and creative, but ignorant comments bother me.

post-885-1175371140_thumb.jpg

post-885-1175371208_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I tried to do this. I wanted to replace the boarding noise with the one from 95. Long story short, I think it's impossible because the sound is "intertwined" with the other data. I tried extracting clips and importing them at variable frequencies in audio editors to no avail. I got close - I could hear the certain sounds - but they were surrounded by static.

I tried to do this. I wanted to replace the boarding noise with the one from 95. Long story short, I think it's impossible because the sound is "intertwined" with the other data. I tried extracting clips and importing them at variable frequencies in audio editors to no avail. I got close - I could hear the certain sounds - but they were surrounded by static.

Yeh BurnXTC is right, the sound is intertwined with the other data, I don't think there is a way to extract them from a .bin file, you need the source code NHL94 to extract the sounds. But knowing this forum there will be a way to extract files, we have many talented rom hacker right here.