NHL'94 Forums

2on2 Winter Classic teams

Freydey

are people pickin lefty because of the way they like to score or are there just alot of irl leftys itt?

You don't have to be left-handed to play left-handed, and I think most NHLers actually play lefty...

When your right hand (dominant hand) is at the top of the stick, you have much better stickhandling, because you use that hand to turn the stick blade over (to cup the puck). If you use your dominant hand as the lower hand, I think this gives you a better shot because that hand controls the shot (Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Kessel.. all guys who like to shoot from really far away and actually score a lot.. all righties).

A trend I've noticed in the NHL94 players is that the lefties tend to be the dekey players and the righties tend to be the big shooters.

This is anectodal for sure, but I think it holds up!

You don't have to be left-handed to play left-handed, and I think most NHLers actually play lefty...

When your right hand (dominant hand) is at the top of the stick, you have much better stickhandling, because you use that hand to turn the stick over. If you use your dominant hand as the lower hand, I think this gives you a better shot because that hand controls the shot (Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Kessel.. all guys who like to shoot from really far away and actually score a lot.. all righties).

A trend I've noticed in the NHL94 players is that the lefties tend to be the dekey players and the righties tend to be the big shooters.

This is anectodal for sure, but I think it holds up!

!!!!!!!!! was thinkin same thing. thread worthy imo.

Some data...

Most goals-per-game since the lockout:

1 Alex Ovechkin RIGHTY

2 Marian Gaborik (would you have guessed Gaborik was 2nd?)

3 Ilya Kovalchuk RIGHTY

4 Sidney Crosby

5 Dany Heatley

6 Steven Stamkos RIGHTY

7 Jarome Iginla RIGHTY

8 Teemu Selanne RIGHTY

9 Alexander Semin

10 Marian Hossa

And Mike Bossy, the all-time G/GP leader was a Righty.

Most assists-per-game since the lockout:

1 Joe Thornton

2 Sidney Crosby

3 Peter Forsberg

4 Henrik Sedin

5 Marc Savard

6 Evgeni Malkin

7 Nicklas Backstrom

8 Pavel Datsyuk

9 Jaromir Jagr

10 Joe Sakic

All LEFTY!

If when playing actual hockey, you're right-handed and your stick-handling stinks, then concentrate on using your upper hand to turn the stick blade over (to cup the puck), and work on strengthening that hand.. go through warmup controlling the puck with one hand on the stick.. look up stick-handling drills on youtube..