NHL'94 Forums

Favorite hockey memory

Klimanen

Share your favorite hockey memory. It could be a game you went to (doesn't have to be NHL), a game you played in, one you watched on tv, or anything really.

I've only been to one NHL game in my life. It was in the 92-93 season when the Red Wings and Flyers were playing a neutral site game in Cleveland. I would've gone to see anybody play but this was outstanding. Yzerman, Fedorov, Ciccarelli, Coffey, Lindros, Recchi. These guys were my heroes and to see them all in person was surreal. I remember the fans booing and heckling Lindros every time he touched the puck :D I think he had recently been involved in some incident or controversy. It's also quite possible the ornery Cleveland fans just felt they had to vilify somebody. Yzerman and the Wings got a lot of love. They were definitely the home team. And iirc Yzerman scored his 1000th career point that game and got an ovation from the crowd.

There was a lot of offense, 10 goals in total. I hardly had a chance to sit down between the vicious hits and blaring siren. A lot of the details are blurry but I'll never ever forget the end. Less than a minute to go, Wings up 5-4. Flyers pull their goalie and get a strong attack. Everybody is watching the clock, counting down. 5..4..3..2..1.. and that bastard #88 with one second left! He was in front of the goal with his arms in the air and the crowd was in total shock. He either scored or someone deflected it in, it happened so fast and I couldn't see. It was unreal! Like something out of a movie but the bad guys pulled out the miracle.

Nothing much happened in overtime. Both teams looked content with a tie and that was it. But everybody get their money's worth that night. I wonder if there are any Red Wings or Flyers fans here that actually remember this game. It must have been one of the best games in the league that year.

I went to a bunch of Ranger games in the 90's, but one game, or experience, stands out the most. It was a regular season game in the 95 season, and instead of heading home after the game, my buddy suggested we wait outside the Garden for the players to leave. What? Really? Okay, why not.

So we waited with a crowd of fans, not sure if anything was going to happen. All of a sudden, out comes the team! WOW! Here are my favorite Rangers just walking out into the street! Kovalev, Lowe, Nemchinov, Richter, Kocur, Matteau, etc. I was amazed! Why hadn't I done this before? I had a white Rangers hat on and luckily my friend had a pen. I was so unprepared and star struck! I got them all to sign my hat, except for Messier, Leetch, and Graves, who all left in a limo.

I remeber Glen Healy, just acquired from the hated NY Islanders, giving me this look, knowing I didn't really care at all about former Islander Glen Healy but wanted his autograph on my hat moment, and he just scribbled some s**t on my hat like the ass that he was, smiling the whole time.

Anyway, I'll always remember that. It was the first and last time I had done something like that, and I appreciated it so much later. I need to buy my buddy a beer now, lol.

Edited by kingraph

The night would have definitely been better if the circumstances were different (long story) but I think I still have to go with Game 7 of the 2010 Eastern Conference Semi-final. Down 3-0 in series, down 3-0 in Game 7, to come back and win: nothing like it as a fan of the winning team.

Honorable mention goes to Giroux's OT winner of Game 3 of the 2010 Cup Finals.

That year was great to be a Flyers fan.

Edited by orangeblack92

This one's easy for me, game 6 at the Igloo against Buffalo in the 2ndround in '01, Pens were down in the series 3-2 after winning the 1st 2 games on the road (just like the year before against Philly), it was a nasty case of deja vu because they lost that series 4-2, and were down a goal late in this one, Hasek was stopping everything. Then on a late rush, a puck just pops in front of Hasek, and guess who was there? Mario. Just hacked away at it until it went in, and just seconds away from elimination, the Pens tie game 6, Straka gets a sick deflection goal in OT, series goes to Buffalo for game 7, and Darius Kasparaitis gets the OT winner to stun the Sabres. That series definitely should be mentioned when talking about the greatest playoff series since expansion.

I remember I was at 7-11 and I was dominating asteroids, achieving a new high score on the arcade hit when Paul scored the goal of the century.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with orangeblack92 on the 2010 ECF game 7, I still get goosebumps when I hear the call from JJ on Gagne's goal. Another one for me, non-NHL was being in the arena for the Phantoms winning their first Calder Cup in 1998 that was a fun game to be at