NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2012 (97)

TheTome

NHL 2012(97) Version 2.0 - Trade Deadline Edition.

Alright, so the Trade Deadline has come and gone, so I have a nice updated ROM for you guys. However the rosters aren't the only updates for version 2.

Updated Features

• All 30 NHL Teams
  • Rosters Current as of the Trade Deadline
  • 97 NHL All-Stars Team
  • 2 Bonus Historical Teams (Use Cheat to Access)
  • All 30 Teams now work in Playoffs (Thanks Smozoma)
  • Duplicate Teams Allowed in Playoffs
  • New Rink (Based off NHL 94 Rink)
  • Bench Graphics updated to better represent team Jerseys.
  • AI Boosted
  • 7 Minute Periods
  • Blood! Players Bleed when Injured
  • Fatigue/Recovery Rates Increased
  • Player stopping and Turning speeds adjusted to be more Realistic

Again, thanks to BuffaloCG for creating the original ROM, Slapshot67 for most of the Roster Data, and Smozoma for helping hack the 30 Team Playoff System. About the only thing that hasn't been touched is the season mode (I wish...) so enjoy!

post-4393-059615000 1330421258_thumb.png

NHL 12 (97) v2_0.bin

Edited by TheTome
  • Like 1

Never played '97 I don't think, or is it the one where all the guys fly around like little mosquitoes, with instant direction changes and with little feel of weightiness or resistance from the ice?

Only ask 'cos 95 & 96 were such utter garbage I just stick to 94, but willing to give it a shot if someone can convince me.

Ha, glad you like it Orangeblack, do you like what I did with Philly's jerseys?

And LA Robbie, I have to say that if your not a fan of 96, then 97 won't sell you. 96, 97, and 98 are all basically identical gameplay wise. My favourite after 94 would actually be 98 because you can slow the gameplay down on the higher difficulty, but unfortunately it also has the manditory two line pass rule which is an absolute pain. Therefore 97 is the game I turn to when I want something a little different. Plus, create a player and season mode!

UPDATE! If you downloaded the original there are a number of tile errors on the rink and during the faceoff. I have replaced the main download with version 1.1 This fixes all tile issues, and as far as I know is bug free. :)

So I'm tweaking the settings to try and get the whole thing playing a little tighter and I'm looking for suggestions. Heres what I'm thinking.

1. Up offense awareness on all offensemen.

2. Up defence awareness on all defencmen.

3. Cut down the stopping and changing direction time slightly.

4. Cut the speed boost in half.

5. Increase fatigue time.

6. Speed up recovery.

Given that the stats are all fairly low, I have a fair bit of room to play with. The biggest issue I'm dealing with is the CPU's offense isn't very good at pressing the attack. They love to try one or two shots, but the second you touch it they all run back to their end. Any ideas??

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic hack!

Here is my wishlist for some Visual changes, if possible:

-Add trapezoid

-Modify face off circles to look like updated NHL94 does

-Get rid of the blue shadow under ref in face off icon

-Make ice the same color as NHL94

And is there any way you could add the Goalie control Y button?

Also, is there any way to slow the speed of the game even further? (I play Rookie level, and it is still too fast).

Keep up the great work!

Edited by NHL94PC

Well the game is already at about half speed, the original was obscenely fast (play as the 97 All-Stars on All-Star and you'll see what I mean). Honestly the easiest way to slow it down even more is simply lower all the player speed stats which is very doable in NOSE (however I do find you get used to the speed fairly quickly). I'm actually hoping to be able to move this entire hack into NHL 98 at some point as it has a selectable game speed setting separate from the difficulty setting. Unfortunately I have yet to disable the 2 line pass, so that's my top priority.

As for things like the trapezoid, I do need to teach myself a bit more about tile hacking and reorganizing before that will be possible, but it is definitely a goal for the future.

The blue shadow is a tricky one, as its more of a palette issue than anything else, but it is something I plan to tackle at some point. My first goal will actually be to modify the AI a bit more. I don't like how when you touch the puck in your end they immediately run away, I'd love to get them to press the attack a little bit more.

I'll keep you posted on my progress with 98 though, because I'll be trying to implement most of those changes once I transition over.

Well the game is already at about half speed, the original was obscenely fast (play as the 97 All-Stars on All-Star and you'll see what I mean). Honestly the easiest way to slow it down even more is simply lower all the player speed stats which is very doable in NOSE (however I do find you get used to the speed fairly quickly). I'm actually hoping to be able to move this entire hack into NHL 98 at some point as it has a selectable game speed setting separate from the difficulty setting. Unfortunately I have yet to disable the 2 line pass, so that's my top priority.

As for things like the trapezoid, I do need to teach myself a bit more about tile hacking and reorganizing before that will be possible, but it is definitely a goal for the future.

The blue shadow is a tricky one, as its more of a palette issue than anything else, but it is something I plan to tackle at some point. My first goal will actually be to modify the AI a bit more. I don't like how when you touch the puck in your end they immediately run away, I'd love to get them to press the attack a little bit more.

I'll keep you posted on my progress with 98 though, because I'll be trying to implement most of those changes once I transition over.

Hey, thanks for considering my recommendations. It seems we are on the same page.

Perhaps you can make some (hopefully simple) modifications to NHL97, to accept existing NHL94 patches, such as the goalie control and trapezoids?

Thanks, I will look into modifying player speed stats in NOSE, as you suggested.

I am excited about your moving your hack to NHL98. Perhaps, once the speed is slowed in 98, even if you can't disable the 2-line pass, maybe the game will still be fun to play. It's the unfortunate small scale of 94 to 98, that ruins the 2-line pass.

I played NHL99 on N64 emulator, and since the rink scale was larger, the 2-line pass, was absolutely fine.

I also like the changeable Coaching Strategy in 98 (which is similar to FIFA), which may produce the offense pressing attack you mention.

Keep up the fantastic work! Can't wait for you next mod.

I hear you, I still haven't nailed down scoring in NHL97. Its a bit different than NHL94 to be sure, and much trickier with the slower speed, but its definitely do-able. What difficulty were you playing?

Yea Maitrefun, I find scoring on All-Star much harder than it used to be. A lot of this has to do with the slower speed as the goalies have a much easier time keeping up with the game play. But I've found that you can get a few in by aiming the puck in the opposite direction your skating in. Also, breakaways still work (though they are indeed hard).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

a couple of things:

'94 hacks can't just be applied. the ice images aren't similar, so the trapezoid hack conversion is absurd, but a simple redraw of the area may be possible if the rink image files aren't compressed.

have you tried bottoming out the forwards' defensive awareness to see if that will decrease their likelihood of retreating?

• 2 weeks later...

Bottoming out the Defence rating might work. I noticed that maxing it out made teams absurdly good on defence but it didn't seem to effect when they headed back. That actually seems to be triggered by the defensive team gaining control of the puck, even the goalie. Likely I need to find the line of code that triggers the switch and see if I can add a small delay to it.

As for the trapezoid, the rink isn't compressed, however the tiles are repeated in such a way that I can't simply redraw them without changing which tiles are used where. This isn't all that complicated, however it is time consuming and I currently don't know how to do it, so I will be saving it for the NHL 98 hack.

Edited by TheTome

Bottoming out the Defence rating might work. I noticed that maxing it out made teams absurdly good on defence but it didn't seem to effect when they headed back. That actually seems to be triggered by the defensive team gaining control of the puck, even the goalie. Likely I need to find the line of code that triggers the switch and see if I can add a small delay to it.

As for the trapezoid, the rink isn't compressed, however the tiles are repeated in such a way that I can't simply redraw them without changing which tiles are used where. This isn't all that complicated, however it is time consuming and I currently don't know how to do it, so I will be saving it for the NHL 98 hack.

I hope you can figure out that defence issue. Would be neat to modify it.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...