NHL'94 Forums

NHLPA 93 League?

CoachMac

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone interested?

I would love to join a 93 league. 93's game engine is completely different than 94's. I have to laugh at people who say "93 is just 94 except it doesnt have one timers" and lately people have been trashing the fighting in the game, as if its a bad thing (when we all know if fighting could somehow be inserted into 94, everyone here would do it in a heartbeat).

93 doesnt have one timers but the gameplay is wicked fun, and completely different than 94. I'd love to join a 93 league but people are too hung up on 94. Dont get me wrong I love 94 and love the updated roms but 93 is a totally different game.

I would love to join a 93 league. 93's game engine is completely different than 94's. I have to laugh at people who say "93 is just 94 except it doesnt have one timers" and lately people have been trashing the fighting in the game, as if its a bad thing (when we all know if fighting could somehow be inserted into 94, everyone here would do it in a heartbeat).

93 doesnt have one timers but the gameplay is wicked fun, and completely different than 94. I'd love to join a 93 league but people are too hung up on 94. Dont get me wrong I love 94 and love the updated roms but 93 is a totally different game.

For me, the lack of goalie control is more damaging than not having one-timers, as it's just way too easy to score.

Not so sure that the gameplay is "completely different" than '94 (at least on GENS). I'd argue that they are very similar, and with one-timers and goalie control in '94, what is the appeal to play '93, other than it's something different?

I haven't really played '93 competitively, so I'm curious.

For me, the lack of goalie control is more damaging than not having one-timers, as it's just way too easy to score.

Not so sure that the gameplay is "completely different" than '94 (at least on GENS). I'd argue that they are very similar, and with one-timers and goalie control in '94, what is the appeal to play '93, other than it's something different?

I haven't really played '93 competitively, so I'm curious.

A lot of people prefer the way 93 plays compared to 94. The puck doesn't bounce the same. The bounces in 93 are less predictable. Hard slapshots can actually penetrate the goalie. In 94 it's very difficult to "blast" the puck through a netminder.

Yes there is no goalie control in 93 however you can control the goalie with the way your defense plays. There are lots of fun things in 93 that arent there in 94. For example in 94 when a player runs into a goalie 99% of the time its like running into a brick wall. But in 93 you can sometimes smash through the goalie if you hit him right, and score that way lol.

There are a lot more rebounds in 93. In 94 the puck "sticks" to the goalie more, but in 93 there are more bounes.

Honestly though its hard to run a league so I understand there only being a 94 league, and I'm happy it always does so well. But I have to point out 93 and 94 do not play the same at all and if you play them both for any period of time you will see that. They are different games and really only share the same graphics.

There are people here who dont play 94, and only play 93. If 94 was the same game as 93 but with goalie control and one timers everyone would prefer 94. But thats not the case. And some people dont like one timers. There are times where I prefer to play 93 because the game can actually be more fun sometimes without one timers. It forces you to be more creative with the way you score.

Edited by nhlpa93easn

I would be more interested in a '91 league. Considerably different. Lots of bounces and variability. I played a bunch of games with Halifax online and it's a blast.

Yeh 91 is a blast. A little fast but I think that has to do with the way the game was converted to the U.S. version of the Genesis. In other countries it plays at the same speed as 94. But the sped up factor makes it alot of fun when you get used to it.

Theres actually a way to create the same "speed effect" thats in 91 in 92, 93, or 94 but I forget how exactly to do it. Something has to be changed in hex editor.

The bounces in 93 are less predictable. Hard slapshots can actually penetrate the goalie. In 94 it's very difficult to "blast" the puck through a netminder.

Disagree about the slapshot B)

Yes there is no goalie control in 93 however you can control the goalie with the way your defense plays.

Is this different from '94?

For example in 94 when a player runs into a goalie 99% of the time its like running into a brick wall. But in 93 you can sometimes smash through the goalie if you hit him right, and score that way lol.

The Goalie Ram is a tactic used by a lot of '94 players. 99% seems high, it really depends on the player and goalie.

There are people here who dont play 94, and only play 93. If 94 was the same game as 93 but with goalie control and one timers everyone would prefer 94. But thats not the case. And some people dont like one timers. There are times where I prefer to play 93 because the game can actually be more fun sometimes without one timers. It forces you to be more creative with the way you score.

Absolutely true -- as a person who prefers '94, I was just curious what some of the '93 fans had to say. '93 is a fantastic game, but the consensus is that '94 is better -- because most people feel it's the '93 game with great upgrades.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts -- I'd be glad to play some exhibs of '93 with you if you catch me on AIM. Still not committing to a season though. :P

I would be more interested in a '91 league. Considerably different. Lots of bounces and variability. I played a bunch of games with Halifax online and it's a blast.

Now THAT game is definitely different.

If you play 93 for any amount of time you'll see it's a lot easier to ram the goalie. The puck may not always go in the net, but often the goalie will at least MOVE a little bit. In 94 the goalie is a little too stiff, almost like every goaltender is brock lesnar. Sure you can ram it through once in a while but the goalie doesnt move near as much in 94 as he does in 93.

The video you posted is not really what I was talking about. When I said blast the puck past the goalie, I meant literally THROUGH the goalie, as in the puck hitting the goalie and trickling by him. Either through his legs, his arm, etc. You dont really see that in 94. But in 93 you do see it more often. How hard a player shoots means a lot more in 93 than it does in 94, in my opinion. The goalie will often get a piece of the puck but it will trickle by him, more similar to real life hockey.

What I like about 93 is you can score in more ways. 5-hole, puck trickling by after the goalie gets a piece of it etc. But don't get me wrong, there are things in 94 I like better than 93. I do enjoy one timers and goalie control is a great feature I wish 93 had, I admit that. Especially now with the "goalie control 1 buttom patch". I also love the player cards in 94 and also the home team logos.

This is why I play BOTH games, depnding on what mood I'm in. Each game has it's own positive features.

Yeh 91 is a blast. A little fast but I think that has to do with the way the game was converted to the U.S. version of the Genesis. In other countries it plays at the same speed as 94. But the sped up factor makes it alot of fun when you get used to it.

Theres actually a way to create the same "speed effect" thats in 91 in 92, 93, or 94 but I forget how exactly to do it. Something has to be changed in hex editor.

I'm talking about '92. I meant '92, but sometimes get confused because it doesn't have a year attributed to it, but was created in '91.

You can go five-hole on NHL 94 goalies if you are really trying -- a hard low shot can get through. but it's rare using a C shot (but is a common B shot goal from half! and is also how I think every goalie goal I've seen has gone in , a full-rink rocket right along the ice)

• 4 months later...

I totally agree with you nhlpa93easn

The pucks bounces differently and is more realistic around the goalied. In 94 they are too stiff indeed

I dont know why '93 gets hardly no love. Fights are awesome too Fights are part of the game. Not this politically correct '94 version

....Theres actually a way to create the same "speed effect" thats in 91 in 92, 93, or 94 but I forget how exactly to do it. Something has to be changed in hex editor.
I'm very curious about the supposed hex edit to alter the speed of '94. if anybody knows more about this, please expound. I'd love to try my SNES ROM a slower speed. it would be awesome if the clock could run at real time, too, although that may be a bit too slow for gameplay....

it would be awesome if the clock could run at real time, too, although that may be a bit too slow for gameplay....

TonyH and I both have looked at the clock code for Genesis 94 and it wasn't an easy fix to change the clock speed, unfortunately. (i forget why, though.. and of course SNES 94 could be completely different for all I know).

I totally agree with you nhlpa93easn

The pucks bounces differently and is more realistic around the goalied. In 94 they are too stiff indeed

I dont know why '93 gets hardly no love. Fights are awesome too Fights are part of the game. Not this politically correct '94 version

Hey thanks man! I used to be nhlpa93easn but this has been my new name now for a while. Yes I think the 94 goalies are too stiff. I enjoy the crazy puck bounces in 93. Sure, its easier to score in 93. But the thing is, the pc actually scores more too. So it all evens out. You just end up with higher scoring games.

I understand though why 94 gets more love. It has goalie control and one timers. Both overrated imo, but I'm in the minority. I just think the pros of 93 outweight the pros of 94. But again I'm in the minority in thinking that.

And yes 94 is politically correct B.S. and EA became full of s**t in 94 when their slogan was "if its in the game, its in the game"...oh really EA??? Fighting is "in the game" but it wasnt in YOUR game back in 94. They pandered to a vocal minority of whining parents who wouldnt know a hockey puck from stale brownie. Idiots.

Haha yeah it was taken out to pander to the whiners of fighting

I wish we could make an ultimate version with parts from 93 94 95 and 96 combined.

I like the trade options in the later years and the players used to do a full body slide to block shots. In 95 or 96 I believe

But 93 and 94 are almost perfect

Oh and in 93 really isnt easy to score if you dont use the deke move. There isnt any one-timers either

Just make a rule with your opponant not to deke. If he does then he must allow you a free goal to even it out or something

Klima!!!!!!

You are the man.

If you play 93 and outlaw the deke move it is perfect game.

I am feeling lots of secret love for 93.

How about a league this fall.

No deke move.

Many Tecmo Bowl leagues outlaw the use of d-lineman and such.