NHL'94 Forums

Spring 2012 Classic Registration Begins!

chaos

Spring '12 Classic League Registration!

Register HERE

For those of you who have registered on the NHL94Online site before, then registration will be easy. You just need to choose "Yes" for the question "Have you registered for a league before?", type in your site user name and password (NOTE: This is different than your forum password and user name, unless you made it the same), and choose the league you will be joining and your team preferences (a total of 10). Then hit submit and you will be placed on the waiting list. It's that easy.

For those of you who have not registered on the NHL94Online site before, then there is a little more info. to fill out. You need to choose "No" for the question "Have you registered for a league before?" and enter a user name and password (it's common to use the same user name as your forum name or AIM name). You will also be asked to fill out some more information about yourself (email, location, timezone, AIM Name, system preference). Then choose the league you will be joining, and your team preferences (a total of 10). Then hit submit and you will be placed on the waiting list. You will then need to play a test game to make sure your connection is set up properly. This does not affect your place on the waiting list, but you cannot play in the league without playing the test game.

Registration deadline will be Monday, March 12th. At that point, we will assign teams to coaches and the schedules will be released.

There are 6 league levels we are hoping to run this season:

[GENS-A: This is for Advanced players. Genesis]

[GENS-B: This is for Intermediate players. Genesis]

[GENS-C: This is for Novice/Beginner players. Genesis]

[sNES-A: This is for Advanced players. SNES]

[sNES-B: This is for Intermediate players. SNES]

[sNES-C: This is for Novice/Beginner players. SNES]

This is just a template for the time being. The amount of league levels might change, depending on the amount of coaches who are registered and confirmed.

You CAN NOT sign up for multiple league levels (i.e. GENS and SNES). Only those who are reliable will be allowed to do so, at the discretion of us admins. This will allow you to concentrate on one league.

All beginner players for Genesis and SNES will be put in GENS-C and SNES-C. This is to reduce the amount of controller and monitor homicides to a minimum, as long as keeping your self-esteem high. We will be using a different method in assigning coaches to leagues this season, so read closely.

The top 8 teams from last season in GENS-A and SNES-A are automatically in A league. We will allow these 8 coaches from to choose from the rest of the coach pool to fill those leagues. Each league will have 12 coaches maximum, to give everybody a better chance at getting one of their top teams.

After A league is set for both consoles, Halifax and I will choose 6-8 more from the remainder coaches for B league. Then those 6-8 coaches will be allowed to choose coaches to fill out the B league. Everyone else will go into C league. Again, each league will have a maximum of 12 coaches, so there is a possibility of having more than 1 C league.

In the end, Halifax and I have the final say in the selection in order to keep it fair.

The season will be 40 games. There is no specific order in which the games need to be played. There will be weekly checkpoints of 6 games, meaning you need to play at least 6 games a week. Don't freak out - since you have multiple games against each coach, it normally amounts to playing 2 coaches a week. Coaches normally like to get all the games against 1 opponent done at the same time.

TEAM SELECTION PROCESS

We will be using smozoma's method for team selection. We used this the last 2 seasons and it worked out pretty well. Here is a brief description:

- Everyone is generated a randomized number. This means that it doesn't matter if you registered on the first day or the last day. Everyone has the same chance of getting the first pick.

- After organizing the list using the randomized numbers, we go down looking at everyone's FIRST team pick, in order. Those coaches who still have their first team selection available by the time we get to them, get their first pick. If not, they get skipped.

- Then, we go down the organized list looking at the SECOND team pick of those coaches who are skipped. If those coaches still have their second team selection available, they get that pick. If not, they get skipped.

- Then we look at the THIRD pick, etc.

Example:

Iceguy has his team pref. listed as:    SJ, ANA, TB, OTT
Zalex has his team pref. listed as:      SJ, TB, OTT, ANA
FPB has his team pref. listed as:         SJ, OTT, ANA, TB
Carse has his team pref. listed as:      TB, ANA, OTT, SJ

The randomized order is Iceguy 1st, Zalex 2nd, FPB 3rd, Carse 4th.

First picks:

- Iceguy gets SJ.
- Zalex gets skipped, since SJ was chosen already.
- FPB gets skipped as well, since SJ was chosen already.
- Carse gets TB.

Second picks:

- Zalex gets skipped, since SJ and TB were chosen already.
- FPB gets OTT.

Third picks:

- Zalex gets skipped, because OTT was picked already.

Fourth picks:

- Zalex gets ANA.

I will not be changing team preferences for people after they have registered. If you aren't sure what team you want to use, wait until the last day of registration. Again, we are making the leagues smaller to allow for a better chance of getting one of your top teams.

Good luck! If there are any questions or problems, feel free to PM me or email me at chaos@nhl94.com.

LINKS FOR NEW GUYS

If you are new to the league, welcome! We are a big brotherly community here, and there are a number of guys who are always around willing to help the new guys out. First things first, you need to register for NHL94.com (this site), as well as on the nhl94online.com site (registration link at the beginning of this post). It is also required to have an AIM screen name, since that is the main method of communication for scheduling games. Once you are registered, the next step is to set up a test game. You can use the forum links below and post your availability. One of the veterans will send you a PM or a message on AIM. A test game needs to be played in order to make sure your emulator/network settings are correct. Once the test game is played, the veteran will confirm you on the nhl94online site. Once this is done, you are set until the season starts. A few days before the season starts, you will be assigned a team. Team selections will be posted on this site. You will also be able to see them on the nhl94online.com site.

Getting Started Online - Hamachi setup and netplay - Getting Started

Rules - Rules

Genesis Test Games - Post Here

SNES Test Games - Post Here

View the Waiting List here

i have played in the survivor league and gens 12. just never registered for classic. i had to register as a new coach for the classic. so i am all ready to play and have plenty of practice games in.

Yep I saw that. I confirmed you, so you should be good to go. No test game needed.

Considering i've won the thing and been used in exemple do i need to be ''chosen'' or am i good to go?

I'm sure you will be chosen for A. Forgot you didn't play last season.

Again, halifax and I have the final say. Though we would figure the A guys know who belongs where.

Just a question, if I may. If one of the veterans by chance didn't choose to participate in one of the console versions of the league, does he still stay in A or does he have to work his kinks in B or C?

Just a question, if I may. If one of the veterans by chance didn't choose to participate in one of the console versions of the league, does he still stay in A or does he have to work his kinks in B or C?

Huh?

If you read, you can only pick one league. If you didn't play in that league last season, or you did and did not finish in the top 8 in A, then your peers choose where you go.

Okay then, I made my choice with my registration.

If you need substitutions, call me.

hokkeefan

1 season was enough punishment for one of the most active a-hole coaches wasn't it?

but iceguy rated me "sometime a cool guy mo or less",im not an a-hole and yes i am the most active bud after you!

Edited by Houli

can i play now?

good question, but you were not banned for EVER?

lastchance.lastchance.lastchance.lastchance.lastchance.banned.lastchance.lastchance.lastchance.banned again.lastchance.lastchance.lastchance.banned................................

Can there be some discussion on the number of teams in each league? For example there were 12 teams in Gens B league last year. There were four of us in Gens C that are good enough to play in Gens B. Smoz won Gens B last year so let's assume (maybe) he moves up to A this year. That would still be 11 returning players from B league.

I'd much rather have a mediocre team and play in B then have any team and go through a C season.

What would the potential players in B league think about possibly having more than 12?

Edited by Sicarius

Can there be some discussion on the number of teams in each league? For example there were 12 teams in Gens B league last year. There were four of us in Gens C that are good enough to play in Gens B. Smoz won Gens B last year so let's assume (maybe) he moves up to A this year. That would still be 11 returning players from B league.

I'd much rather have a mediocre team and play in B then have any team and go through a C season.

What would the potential players in B league think about possibly having more than 12?

I share your concerns Sicarius, but let's see how it starts to shake out. There's no way you'll be in C (if you are, I'll protest right next to you!). Of the 11 returning players in B, I may move to A (if I can squeeze in), you and Rammer already replaced two guys, and Patstew finished 2-38, so he should be in C. At the same time, A had 16 last year, so 4 have to drop to B.

But let's see -- it all depends on who returns, etc.

If four are dropping from A to B then there's 0% chance of me, Wookie, Orange, & Rammer (if Rammer returns) moving up to B. I'd hate to see two B leagues.

I want to make sure I understand this draft 100% too. Last year I didn't understand fully how it worked.

So here's my understanding on the draft.

Let's say there's 12 people including me in a league. Say me and one other guy pick Chicago as our first overall team. All 10 other managers pick a unique team as their #1. Let's say the guy that picked Chi gets the # 1 pick overall and I'm # 2 overall. The way I understand the rules the guy picks Chi 1st. Then I get skipped because I had Chi picked as my first team. Then all other 10 teams get their # 1 choice because everyone of them has a unique team. Then it comes back to me and I get whatever is left on my list after those 10 teams picked.

Is that right? If so I'm waiting to see what most people pick on there top 5 teams.

Don't worry guys. Everyone will be at their level i'm sure. No more "Mr Blitz B champion at a cantar" signing up for Classic B or ridiculous stunts like that again I hope. Likewise guys we know are good enough for B being placed in C purely because it's their debut season. Trust the guys sorting it out. I'm sure no one will be disappointed.

So here's my understanding on the draft.

Let's say there's 12 people including me in a league. Say me and one other guy pick Chicago as our first overall team. All 10 other managers pick a unique team as their #1. Let's say the guy that picked Chi gets the # 1 pick overall and I'm # 2 overall. The way I understand the rules the guy picks Chi 1st. Then I get skipped because I had Chi picked as my first team. Then all other 10 teams get their # 1 choice because everyone of them has a unique team. Then it comes back to me and I get whatever is left on my list after those 10 teams picked.

Is that right? If so I'm waiting to see what most people pick on there top 5 teams.

Yup, that's how I understand it to work as well. I also think waiting is an advantage (see post)

But in your scenario, 11 of 12 people got their first choice, and that's great!

If we need to, we will make A or B league a little bigger (say 14 teams). The idea is to make it more competitive. The people who didn't do well in B league last year will be moved down to C and those who did well in C will move up to B. Again the teams to fill out the leagues will be chosen by your peers. Halifax and I choose the top 6-8 for B league. If you belong in B, you will be in B no worries.

As far as team selection process, we have used this process the last 2 seasons and it has worked well.

And if you feel you get an advantage in waiting to register and seeing who has selected what teams, by all means feel free to do so. As long as you register by the end of March 12th, it doesn't matter. Also, keep in mind that you really don't know who is going in what league, though some of you might have a general idea.

Next season, we are doing something a little different. The faster you finish your season this spring, the better position you will have in team selection next season (think of it as getting more numbers on a roulette table). So, the first person to 40 GP will have the best chance of getting his first pick, the second person the second best chance, etc. And obviously if the first person to 40 is in GENS-A, and the second person to 40 is in GENS-B next season, they both have the best chance in their respective leagues.