NHL'94 Forums

Home Team Advantage? A serious question

scurvy243

Me and my buddy always play Detroit vs Detroit in NHL 93 on Genesis, and it seems there is a clear advantage for the home team, almost so that the home team player usually wins. We are both very good at the game and have been playing for years, but I got to clear this up: Does the home team really have that much of an advantage?

It seems like everything from a faster better goalie to much more and harder checks are part of the home team advantage.

Not sure about '93, but in '94 there is a definite home ice advantage. The game actually gives bonuses to player attributes for home ice advantage. I don't know the specifics (maybe smozoma can elaborate).

Statistically, every home record in every league (at least classic, blitz & survivor) is better than the road record.

I would guess the same would be true for '93, given the close similarities of the two versions.

Of late i've actually been getting really infuriated by what appears to me as clear advantages, usually for the home team, but often for the away team if they perhaps have a good road advantage rating too.

Things like defensive stupidity & ridiculous decisions about where to go so the offensive player breezes through like he's Moses parting the red sea, simple passes flicking off you players' heels to set up the opposition for a simple run on goal, but also even more frustrating things like passes not going where you want them to (Usually straight to an opponent when you were pushing in a completely different direction), your goalie seeming to commit himself to a dive way before the player even shoots (I don't mean that routine they do on the cut across either), and goals going in that you'd expect the goalie to save like a shot straight down the middle of the goal & your goalie's moved across to one particular post instead of taking up the correct position in the middle.

As the offensive team playing with the "disadvantage" I also think the defensive team often flicks the puck out of your possession just by touching you, no poke or check needed, and the opposition goalie will make incredible 1v1 & one-timer saves that you were absolutely sure were going in. The way guys get clear accuracy & power bonuses on PPs drives me nuts too, as a player you wouldn't usually worry about booms a slapper into the corner Lemieux style.

Just seems that some times the CPU goes into a predetermined routine to make things happen for you or against you at times.

Is it just me that notices this or is just i'm getting pissed off at losing? lol. Been playing a lot with LA lately too, so maybe these are just performance characteristics they have? lol

Would there be a way to turn off the home team advantage? Me and my buddy are trying to get a perfectly fair Detroit Vs. Detroit matchup but it's impossible with the home team advantage. The home team ends up with the win 80% of the time. We have tried switching home/away it always seems the home team has the edge.

Even if it is just a Dash - and a 0 which seems like it should be meaningless.

Would there be a hack or way to change the game setting to disable the home team advantage?

Edited by scurvy243

even if you give lows and highs to try to balance it all out, I think you will still see advantages or bonuses that will frustrate you. if I were a Genesissy, I'd be all over the balancing in combination with Smoz's hot/cold squashing/fixing hack. I'd want one ROM with no advantages at all and one with fixed ratings displaying for the hot and cold players. I so badly wish we had real values in the ratings columns for the SNES version, too. please keep this thread going with what you notice and the likes. the thing that stands out to me is the wrongly-reported speed boosts for seemingly variable skaters (I don't think it's random; I suspect it may be based on starting position, listed order or something like that).

Are you guys sure there's actually a home advantage or is it just because most people like skating "up" and thus have more success the home team with 2 periods of up play?

According to this survey (link), it seems more people prefer going up vs down, so this has some merit. However, we don't really know if people who prefer going up/down actually do better (better GFA and GAA) do better in those periods or not.

I somehow doubt this is this is true though.

My buddy and I used to play All Stars West vs All Stars West a lot (roenick C, bure, selanne on the wings.. fun line).

We found the away team had an advantage. The home team tended to play stupid.

Apparently the All Star teams have "Low" advantages for both home and away: http://www.nhl94.com/html/teamprofile.php?team=ASW

Not sure what that proves.. :D

whats the deal with the hot/cold stats? is it why sometimes the players seem to move super quick like at the start of a period? I always thought it was my imagination.

Whoops, this is nhlpa93.. everything I have said is only for 94!

EARE does not work with 93 as far as I know

93 and 94 do have a lot in common, though..

in 94: first of all, ignore the hot/cold that ron barr says. he's random. might be right that game for that player, but is probably wrong. (maybe in 93 he's right, i have no idea). in 94, every player is hot or cold to some degree. it corresponds to about plus or minus UP TO 10% on all his attributes (but all the same %.. that game.. that player..). I don't think it changes throughout the period. If you have line changes ON, then of course your players will get tired over the period, but with line changes OFF, they can go full speed the whole time.