NHL'94 Forums

NOSE 1.2b download

smozoma

Since wboy's hexaddicts website is down, you can get NOSE here.
This is the stable 1.2b version. Alternatively, you can try the latest test/beta version.

This download has 3 additional edits not in the original NOSE 1.2b:

• It supports wboy's NHLPA '93 30-team ROM
  • It supports my 0-15 player ratings hack
  • It supports my different-era-player-weights hack

Make sure to read the installation instructions below, because you need to download some additional support files (because NOSE doesn't use an installer).

How To Install

1. Download the NOSE package (zip format):
nose1.2b-2019nov.zip
OLD: nose1.2b-2012apr.zip

2. Unzip the package and put the resulting folder wherever you want. (https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZQOYqzGHiDY  should be very similar on Vista or XP)

3. Download and install this:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vb6extendedruntime/files/ - "Visual Basic 6.0 Runtime Plus 2.2.zip"

Old instructions:
Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0: Run-Time Redistribution Pack (vbrun60sp6.exe)

When you install it, it will ask for a directory to unpack to. The location does not matter. It'll unpack to the directory then install. Then you can delete the unpack directory and installer file.

4. Download, unzip, and install the files inside this zip: libraryfiles.zip

Run libraryFiles.exe and it should install the files to:

• If on Wndows 64-bit, C:\windows\sysWOW64
  • If on Windows 32-bit, C:\windows\system32

I think NOSE should work at this point. If not, reply here and I'll try to figure out what's wrong and update these instructions.

Notes:
There are two unfortunate short-comings of NOSE (fixed in the latest test version).
1: You can't associate files with it so you can't just double-click a file to have it open in NOSE, and
2: It doesn't remember where you ROMs are, it assumes they are stored in the 'roms' folder within NOSE's folder. So you can put your ROMs there if you want, since Gens and Kega will remember the location once you open a ROM manually from there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hm that's odd.

Did you extract/unzip nose, or are you trying to run it from within the zip file?

Anyone with Vista who can share any tips for this?

Shot-in-the-dark:

Try right-clicking on NOSE.exe, select Properties, then the Compatibility tab, then tell it to use Windows XP compatibility mode (see http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/)

NHL Old School Editor has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Using a Vista.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I just lost NOSE 1.2b from the WBOY website on my computer. I tried to download this version, but it just does not work right. Half the teams have the correct colors, while the other half seem to be all screwed up. THE COLORS ARE MESSED UP. They don't match the colors in the game. I am using the helmet patch version of 94, is there a version of NOSE that will work with the helmet patch? Very frustrating. I am currently now without NOSE so my hacking has come to a complete stop because of this annoying issue. Any help appreciated.

Edited by nhlpa93easn

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Not sure it works for nhl 97 , nose is built for nhl 94

It supports a lot of them, not just 94. Might be a bug for 97. I've never tried it.

CoachMac may be on the right track. If the team name in the menu is an image (like the banners in 94), then it won't work. The team name will only be changed in places where it is purely text.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, clockwise said:

Weird. I used NOSE to update the NHL11 - 14 ROMS I did. They have the 0-15 rating scale.

Wish I could find the .ini files.

I think smoz's hack only works for the 30 team ROM, and doesn't quite function with the recent 32 team ROM for some reason with NOSE.

30 minutes ago, kingraph said:

I think smoz's hack only works for the 30 team ROM, and doesn't quite function with the recent 32 team ROM for some reason with NOSE.

(I think) It's something to do with those ROM codes embedded in the header of each ROM, which NOSE uses to know how to process the ROM. smozROM would label the ROM as a 28- or 30-team ROM with or without 0-15 ratings and with a particular base weight. But if the ROM is 32-teams, maybe NOSE detects that something is weird and so gives up.

I probably just need to update smozROM to be able to detect 32-team ROMs (it already knows the difference between 28 and 30 team ROMs) and make up new codes for those ROMs.