NHL'94 Forums

The get up instantly button

Okay guys, nothing worse than not being able to get up. You know what I'm talking about... there you are, at the big moment, and you're lying there limp as Fred Durst. This often means somebody else scores, not you.

Well SNES fixes this embarrassing problem! When you get knocked over, just hit the far left button (A button on GENS, Y button on SNES) and viola! Your player rises like Jesus Christ himself, only you didn't need to wait 3 days in some tomb. For those of us who play 2on2, it's just like hitting the B button. Now, I have noticed you can't grab the puck immediately after using this. However, you can feel free to knock some teeth around and then after a second or two you're able to grab the puck.

Of course you're going to have an opinion about this. Personally, I think it's kind of cheese. Halifax loves it though, and we have had many a long late night into mornings debating this issue. But the fact is it's there, and many guys use it to their advantage, so use it or lose it!

on Genesis, EVERY guy who gets knocked down HAS to stay down for three seconds. that is the absurd thing. not EVERY hit is devastating. with SNES, you can get him back up, as long as you didn't switch off of him. this makes sense. if somebody pushes you over, you can try your best to stay balanced and spring back up. if you switch to a different guy, the dude that got knocked down is doing that weird Genesis thing where he has to stay down for a three count. the get-back-up-button is crucial. it's fair, because they guy is still dizzy, clutching at the nearest other player or his own teeth and balls, as it is the hold/grab/hug/lean button. he can't do much in his concussed state, but he can at least try to grab the guy that hit him and tie him up as he stands back up. calling this feature a glitch is bias if all of those Genesis "quirks" are good things. it may not have been intentional (get that all-inclusive interview with the programmers done ASAFP!), but it is yet another thing that makes the SNES version superior.

how's this new section working out for you? hate me, yet?

Halifax loves it though, and we have had many a long late night into mornings debating this issue.

I do! We did! :red_heart:

• 3 months later...

ha.

I almost never use it likely because I've never liked it enough to consciously train myself to remember to do it. I don't mind other people using it but its sort of like, well, cheating you out of good hits. Not bad enough to be annoying though.

on Genesis, EVERY guy who gets knocked down HAS to stay down for three seconds. that is the absurd thing. not EVERY hit is devastating. with SNES, you can get him back up, as long as you didn't switch off of him. this makes sense. if somebody pushes you over, you can try your best to stay balanced and spring back up. if you switch to a different guy, the dude that got knocked down is doing that weird Genesis thing where he has to stay down for a three count. the get-back-up-button is crucial. it's fair, because they guy is still dizzy, clutching at the nearest other player or his own teeth and balls, as it is the hold/grab/hug/lean button. he can't do much in his concussed state, but he can at least try to grab the guy that hit him and tie him up as he stands back up. calling this feature a glitch is bias if all of those Genesis "quirks" are good things. it may not have been intentional (get that all-inclusive interview with the programmers done ASAFP!), but it is yet another thing that makes the SNES version superior.

how's this new section working out for you? hate me, yet?

I was thinking about this the other day, and I thought that if it was meant to be part of the game then the computer would use the "get up quickly" button. But alas, the computer does not use it. Thoughts?

ha.

I almost never use it likely because I've never liked it enough to consciously train myself to remember to do it. I don't mind other people using it but its sort of like, well, cheating you out of good hits. Not bad enough to be annoying though.

cheating you out of good hits

Well put! I couldn't agree more... it's a cheap and unintended glitch that effects gameplay and trudatman should be ashamed of such a glitch! (at least the weight bug was fixed by smoz :P)

I ain't 'shamed of no glitch. glitchbusters!

you make a very good point about the computer's lack of use of the feature in question, but I think it is fair to note that there are other things that the computer-controlled players never do, like taking multiple strong strides to charge down the boards for two-line pass or repeatedly stacking the pads like a boss or using the backup netminder....

Edited by trudatman

Well put! I couldn't agree more... it's a cheap and unintended glitch that effects gameplay and trudatman should be ashamed of such a glitch! (at least the weight bug was fixed by smoz :P)

Trudatman's only ashamed of Genesis bugs! lol. In SNES they "add character" or something

hehe adds character.. that reminds me of when Carse or IceStorm or someone (forget who) said they like the Hold B to control the goalie as opposed to having a dedicated button for goalie control because it makes you think about timing and adds something to the game. PFFFTTTTTTTTTTT the only reason they make you hold B to control the goalie is because the Genesis only had 3 buttons back then.

that's much worse than liking what is essentially an added feature. the getting of up is an acceleration of action, the holding for goalies is a delaying of action (an absurd instance of a common problem on that system that seems to be about half as fast in processing controller commands as the SNES is). that is exactly the clown shoes level of bias that seems far too prevalent among the fans of the inferior version.

oh, and you want to "fix" this "glitch?!" why not add the feature to the Genesis version so it can then suddenly be widely considered awesome?

Edited by trudatman

hehe adds character.. that reminds me of when Carse or IceStorm or someone (forget who) said they like the Hold B to control the goalie as opposed to having a dedicated button for goalie control because it makes you think about timing and adds something to the game. PFFFTTTTTTTTTTT the only reason they make you hold B to control the goalie is because the Genesis only had 3 buttons back then.

Say word!

that's much worse than liking what is essentially an added feature. the getting of up is an acceleration of action, the holding for goalies is a delaying of action (an absurd instance of a common problem on that system that seems to be about half as fast in processing controller commands as the SNES is). that is exactly the clown shoes level of bias that seems far too prevalent among the fans of the inferior version.

oh, and you want to "fix" this "glitch?!" why not add the feature to the Genesis version so it can then suddenly be widely considered awesome?

Hahaha. Trudatman had a couple of months off his personal vendetta against the Genesis, but is now back with a vengence to once again sabotage all Bo's attempts to bring lovers of both consoles together. Bo's like a secular humanist, preaching tolerance & respect to all, Trudatman is the fanatical religious extremist screaming in everyone's face about how there is only one "true God".

.............Seriously, does this guy know how close they came to pulling the plug on him a while back?!! haha

hehe adds character.. that reminds me of when Carse or IceStorm or someone (forget who) said they like the Hold B to control the goalie as opposed to having a dedicated button for goalie control because it makes you think about timing and adds something to the game.

I believe that was me :D (among others)

Goalie button is great, but holding B is not the end of the world and takes some skill to boot (but can be victimized by the lame walkacross)

Hahaha. Trudatman had a couple of months off his personal vendetta against the Genesis, but is now back with a vengence to once again sabotage all Bo's attempts to bring lovers of both consoles together. Bo's like a secular humanist, preaching tolerance & respect to all, Trudatman is the fanatical religious extremist screaming in everyone's face about how there is only one "true God"..............Seriously, does this guy know how close they came to pulling the plug on him a while back?!! haha
laugh all you want, but you know I bring content and discussion to this place. I'm an athiest, a scientist. I've played both major versions and I am genuinely interested in both, more so as Genesis hacks make it more playable, more fair and more enjoyable. I ask you again to consider the value of the "contributions" of the goon squad that would rather I leave this community. I playfully tease the religious, who can't handle having their beliefs challenged (I love losing, challenging my beliefs, reforming my opinions with smarter constructs) and they react poorly. the way they react is not indicative of my value here. keep coloring me as you'd have others believe that I am, but that will not alter what I am made of nor what I strive to be. think about why I was not banned. it is because we have a thoughtful and deliberate moderating staff that isn't strictly reactionary when the misguided masses push a cruel agenda. you cannot make me sad. my will and fortitude are not things you can mold with ridicule nor ridiculous attempts at community cleansing. it is not my agenda that is wrongminded. the more we have this discussion in public, the more foolish your "side" appears to be. it is time to abandon this platform of prejudice and understand me as what I am in reality.

be well and stay smiling.

I believe that was me :D (among others)

Goalie button is great, but holding B is not the end of the world and takes some skill to boot (but can be victimized by the lame walkacross)

Well... I for one can't stand the "Hold B" goalie control. Plus when you add the Y control it's not like you lose the Hold B option... you just now have a much better way of gaining goalie control right when you want it, not a second later when Carse has already done his crease cut and made your goalie go down.

Well... I for one can't stand the "Hold B" goalie control. Plus when you add the Y control it's not like you lose the Hold B option... you just now have a much better way of gaining goalie control right when you want it, not a second later when Carse has already done his crease cut and made your goalie go down.

Say WORD!