NHL'94 Forums

GENS problem

beat2life

hey all, I'm relatively new to emulators, etc, but a friend showed me this and I love NHL 94. I downloaded the Gens Package (2 Emulators & Default ROM)and followed the step by step "Getting Started" page, but every time I load the emulator the window displays a split screen of the same picture (e.g. if i start a game, there will be two rinks side by side) plus the color scheme is all wrong. Oddly enough, the gameplay is fine. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated, I obviously have no idea what I'm doing. I look forward to playing against some of you.

hey all, I'm relatively new to emulators, etc, but a friend showed me this and I love NHL 94. I downloaded the Gens Package (2 Emulators & Default ROM)and followed the step by step "Getting Started" page, but every time I load the emulator the window displays a split screen of the same picture (e.g. if i start a game, there will be two rinks side by side) plus the color scheme is all wrong. Oddly enough, the gameplay is fine. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated, I obviously have no idea what I'm doing. I look forward to playing against some of you.

Hey welcome aboard! I'm sure the more technical guys here can give you a better answer, but I've definitely seen that before, I think it has to do with the configuration file getting messed up somehow. I think I just downloaded it again and I didn't have that problem the next time.

Hey welcome aboard! I'm sure the more technical guys here can give you a better answer, but I've definitely seen that before, I think it has to do with the configuration file getting messed up somehow. I think I just downloaded it again and I didn't have that problem the next time.

thanks, I tried re-downloading it a few times, and I'm still getting the same results. suck.

What version of Windows are you running? I remember someone having a similar problem.

EDIT: Is it like this? Gens Emulator error

If so, it has something to do with your color settings in display properties. Gens runs in 16-bit color and changes the color of your display when it starts. Afterwards, it switches back to its original setting. It could be possible that it is not able to switch it back. Try setting your in your Windows display properties (Right-click on desktop and choose Properties) to use 16-bit color (might say Medium). Then try running again. Let me know what happens.

If the solution that Chaos linked to doesn't work, this may also be an option to try:

http://www.gens.me/faq.html

A : Graphics cards use several types of internal 16bit rendering engines, some use 555 mode (eg ATi Rage Pro) whilst others use 565 mode (eg NVidea TNT2). Gens automatically tries to detect which graphics standard your video card uses, unfortunately it doesn't always get it right. If the palette is all wrong on your system you can force Gens to use the correct video mode by editing the Gens.cfg file. Open the file with Notepad and under the [graphics] section add one of the following commands until the problem is corrected:

Force 555=1

Force 565=1

Oh, and let us know your AIM screenname so when you do straighten this out you can play some exhibition games! :D

GENIUSES, I TELL YA! Thanks for the help, the 32 to 16 was definitely the issue. My AIM is the same as my name, "beat2life". I take it I need to be signed in on AIM? I barely use it anymore, but if that's what it takes to get games, I'll be signing in. I'm really interested to see how I stack up to you vets. GAME ON!

also, I have a couple of rookie questions. What's everyone's take on "cheap" plays? When we were younger, doing wraparound style goals were considered cheap since it seems to be the easiest way to score. And, showing my emulator ignorance here, is there any threat of someone using a hack on a game for unfair advantage?

also, I have a couple of rookie questions. What's everyone's take on "cheap" plays? When we were younger, doing wraparound style goals were considered cheap since it seems to be the easiest way to score. And, showing my emulator ignorance here, is there any threat of someone using a hack on a game for unfair advantage?

Glad to hear you are up and running. Score anyway you can, there are no cheap goals. The consensus on the cheesiest way to score is the crease-cut, where you take your player to one corner, come across and as you start to shoot, the goalie goes down WAY too early and you put it away in the wide open net. However, even that is perfectly acceptable as you can defend against it.

Don't worry about hacks...both players have to be using the same exact ROM for online play to work.

I hope to see you on AIM...my screenname is: kingraph

Glad to hear you are up and running. Score anyway you can, there are no cheap goals. The consensus on the cheesiest way to score is the crease-cut, where you take your player to one corner, come across and as you start to shoot, the goalie goes down WAY too early and you put it away in the wide open net. However, even that is perfectly acceptable as you can defend against it.

Don't worry about hacks...both players have to be using the same exact ROM for online play to work.

I hope to see you on AIM...my screenname is: kingraph

it seems in my late night haste to sign up for this site, I completely ignored the misspelling in my screen name. It should be "beat2life" like my AIM. I scoured my profile for any way to change it, and could find nothing. (I did find a pop up that showed the name change history, but there was no way to actually make the change) Can any of you mods change this? Also, every time I try to log onto any networks on Hamachi it says they're all full. Is this a common problem?