NHL'94 Forums

Thanks to those of you who helped me out in the sprites pixel editing topic. Your help is greatly appreciated. Most of all, thanks to Wboy for making this possible for anybody with the 30-team ROM template! Obviously, NHL 13 is far from done; however, here is the progress I've made thus far:

ducks-bruins-sabres.png

flames-canes-hawks.png

avs-jackets-stars.png

wings-oilers-panthers.png

kings-wild-habs.png

preds-devils-islanders.png

rangers-senators-flyers.png

yotes-pens-sharks.png

blues-bolts-leafs.png

canucks-caps-jets.png

looks pretty. good luck in further development.

• In-game clock logo (done)
  • Center ice logos (done)
  • In-game team logos at team select screen (done)
  • Banner colors (done)
  • In-game banners (done)

As for the in-game team logos at the team select screen, the Winnipeg Jets logo looked like crap with all sorts of colors there; however, I corrected it by creating a palette for the Jets and using that palette. Looks great now! All that remains now is for me to edit the energy bar (if I decide I want to do that), finalize the rosters later this summer and edit the title screen.

As for the center ice logos: I noticed some of them did not look as good as I wanted them to; so I scrapped some of them and started over again. My palette-editing skills are improving. Logos like the Senators and Sharks look much better now than they did earlier. I have not yet improved the Coyotes center ice logo, but I'm not bothered by the way it looks.

The title screen: it doesn't look too bad when I work with it; however, it doesn't look as good as I hoped it would, either. I don't know if it's because I reduced the color depth of the original photo down to 16 colors (for the sake of having a palette to work with) or if maybe I'm just choosing bad photos to begin with.

For instance, my original photo was of Claude Giroux skating in on Tim Thomas during a breakaway. After decreasing the color depth to 4bpp (16 colors) and putting it into the game, you can still see Giroux skating in on Thomas; however, the red goal line doesn't look so red anymore and the crease color is barely visible (looks more lightly greyish).

Any tips/guidelines on title screen photos, or are they just never going to look as great as I would like them to be?

Edited by TruePensFan1981

For the title screen, make sure to use photos that don't have too many colors to begin with. That's the best way to make sure more colors translate properly to the actual title screen. Simple photos = better title screens.

I have an automatic 16-colour-ifier program coming along.. just gotta package it up somehow (surprisingly tough to do these days) and release it.

It's what I used for the Blitz 7 cover screen.

Also remember only certain colours are valid, and you need to manually set the palette you want to use. Anyway, once I release my program (i'll do it this weekend since apparently someone needs it!), it'll make it much easier.

Now that I look at my title screen again, I'm beginning to think maybe it wasn't as bad as I originally made it out to be. I don't know... I figured I'd post the image here to let you guys judge for yourselves. Not too bad, eh?

nhl-13-title-screen.png

Whoops, I was going to post my image maker. Gimme an hour or so and it'll be posted, gotta write up user notes and fix a couple last things..

My NHL 13 title screen is finalized. Many thanks to Smoz for his contributions to my development as an NHL 94 editor! Thanks to him, I am able to apply a simple weight bug fix, enable speed to affect a goaltender's OVR rating and can now get a decent title screen!

nhl-13-giroux.png

Smoz rules. I wish I was rich so I could pay him to do similar works within the SNES system. ratings fixes alone would be worth a fortune, to me.

Smoz rules. I wish I was rich so I could pay him to do similar works within the SNES system. ratings fixes alone would be worth a fortune, to me.

I'm not rich at all. In fact, I don't pay him a damn penny. I think he helps me because I'm Italian and he doesn't want to take any chances of saying no to me. B)

I was not implying he was being compensated in any way. I know that he works in fits and spurts to improve our games out of love and appreciation. I meant that I wish I could convince him to shift his focus to the oft-neglected SNES ROM. in the few times he has lent his support to SNES, the results have been excellent (and seemingly coming rapidly). I wish we had more Smozomas.

Updates:

• Applied simple weight bug fix (done)
  • Speed affects goalie OVR rating (done)
  • Custom OVR Rating formula for skaters and goalies (done)
  • Replaced PIM with CHK (in progress)
  • In-game clock (done)
  • Center ice logos (done)
  • Team select logos (done)
  • Banner colors at team selection (done)
  • In-game banners (done)
  • Rosters and player cards (in progress)

Obviously, the rosters and player cards will not be finished until the NHL season nears. I opted to replace PIM with checks in this game; unfortunately, I have screwed up somewhere. @ 00993, I changed the value from 50 49 4D to 43 48 4B (this changes the stat listing from PIM to CHK). Although CHK is the new stat now, the game does not count the hits (it is still counting PIM). Obviously, I missed something somewhere. Going to go find out what I need to do (I think Smoz posted the steps in the weight bug fix topic).

Clearly, I screwed up when trying to follow the steps in this thread to get hits to be counted. When I tested the ROM, it froze after a shot on goal. Thankfully, it was only my backup copy. Now to delete the backup copy, open the original and save a new backup copy!

There are a couple tools for applying the weight bug fix. Why not use one of those? (one is the weight bug fix tool, and the other is "smozROM", which gives you a number of options to use.. and is important for modern ROMs because it takes into account the increased weight of modern players)

• 2 weeks later...